UT4-UE4-UDK disappointed.

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

UT4-UE4-UDK disappointed.

Post by Red_Fist »

The whole thing is terrible.
Why ?

All "I" friggen want is the new learning but embedded with all the stuff to make a SP map, using "UNREAL" characters-assets.

But no, first off get rid of the damn "cooked maps" I WANT PEOPLE TO RIP INTO ANYTHING THEY WANT,,,,OR cook the damn thing. geez.

Second this damned windows BS, I wish I could rip all libraries, user folders, admin, "USER" complete bs directory structer nonsense.
Oh hell no we have to call the user as the top directory when the damn friggen root is the HARD DRIVE.

So what do they do ? UE4 hides the crap 8 directories deep, several locations, can't save this, can't open that and put saved files in some god awful place,

Every time I download this damn thing I get so discouraged, why should I have to learn all this BS just for cooked, save different things, open a project, then open a map, all depending upon the BS they "give" you like.

You have to program a stupid player, or be forced to use the damn template. no just no.

Mover ? you say, hell I don't even think they use the word anymore.

All they need to do is set us up with all the UT99 content, and let us figure out how to make stuff.
I have so much stuff installed, is it worth it ?

So they are doing it wrong or I would have had some working map like a year ago.

It's pathetic, a Game named Unreal, a game named UT, and the editor named UnrealED, and they can't allow friggggggiiiinnngggg, UNREAL UT content ? morons.

Between windows and UE4, I had 12 or more directories of "Maps", ridiculous. I mean only for UE4, we are going backwards from fast computer, hell why not 500 directories for one file for one program all because a company has to conform to STUPID microsoft.

I do realize what they are doing, but it ends up counterproductive and a huge amounts bells and whistles. (like libraries, user "folders" I am the "OWNER" and paid a lot for MY computer, I should not have to "log on" to my USER, and the USER with ALL USERS for a ADMINISRATOR, lol, rip that sheet out.

I also notice, the better they make it, the more fluff we will get, if map "looks" good to entice people to use it.
Same for the STUPID windows directory structure, don't need it, it is not necessary unless you work on a Mac and all you know is the word "icon" F that.

It's like there is 6.5 gigabyte to download, and 90% of it is written to conform to simple windows mindedness, for stupid people to click on an icon, rather than having one or two directories. Epic did do a good job of mouse-over help, but it's so messed up between preserving their stupid copyright and win7 directory structure, is infuriating.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: UT4-UE4 disapointed.

Post by Chamberly »

I can agree with you there. Not pretty impressed how things are set up there. When did you last tried this? Last time was last year, and I gotta give it a try again this year to compare the difference.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It is actuaklly not inherit to windows, the general structure of user this and that comes from unix based systems.

So it's not even an invention by microsoft if you were thinking that.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The whole thing is based on the "blueprint" you have to make it make the players move, and spawn, everything, it's like a gametype for UT.

So what they do is give you a template for "first person shooter"
But after I downloaded UT4, it has it's own editor, so everything is almost done, and it looks usable if you mapped for UT2004 you will understand a lot of it.

I would install UT4 and use that, and then you have to download it's editor, the UDK is made for any game to be made.

As for directory structure, the C drive is the root, I wish I cold remove all of that user BS from windows.

Anyway wrong forum but nothing will change if I posted at their forum, no going back, and pretty cumbersome to move forward.
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

Note that different stuff makes the game more famous, and the world will explode if there is Unreal 3, much more fans at least, though the old players will be disappointed as always, and you will be disappointed forever, with UE5 too.

These are the tricks to let a game to be famous, nothing repetitive please, UT is repetitive sadly, it will never be famous unless there is a new Unreal which is able to do everything.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes but learning code,textures,modling,animation all so you can walk around a box room before you can even think of a SP gameplay. See my concept comes from the fact that Unreal SP is all built into UT, I want it to stay that way.

If they give us an editor for SP to do more than DM, but it would take me years just to get a working copy.

So all because "UT" is considered a "multiplayer" and I don't want to just make DM stuff, then have to learn each segment, make every model, all the code, they should include Unreal in the UT4 editor. Or in the UDK
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Sometimes people are too dumb to remind Unreal is too old to be included. (And I am not saying about you Red_Fist!)

I could make a Unreal 3 game from UE4 and send it to you.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Gustavo6046 wrote:I could make a Unreal 3 game from UE4 and send it to you.

Please do this. Please.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I know that some hardcore Ut99 fans are hard at work making some assets to replicate Ut99 in this new engine. Just give it time. I'm sure people will release better tools later on. I know they will make game types, game rules and weapons for all the games. It's that versatile. I'll admit I'm not a fan of it's current state (The HATE the new editor too!!!! SO BAD!! BLUEPRINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: ) so I just stay away from the game only to check it out every so often.

So in the end.....just be patient. I'm sure you'll get what your looking for eventually. If not, someone will remake UT in this engine from scratch. Just you watch!
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I want to checkout the blueprint thing. I had a java program a long time ago called hyperwire by KTX Kinetix that I think got bought , man you could slap together a webpage like fun and easy.

This has the same type of thing, you connect inputs or outputs to modules, I just have to spend some time on all of it.

all I have done so far was import a t3d from one of my maps (one brush map), but then learned I could not walk always fly.
So I made a new map using "blank" template, only to find out it made it so I couldn't move at all.
Spent some time trying to find textures, is also way too hard. You need to get into all the texture types, same as ut2004, but couldn't find any useful ones yet.

So now I need to try again, then learn a little about those lightmass volumes, and if I need a physics volume. I thought a physics volume would stop me from flying, but I added it, but I did that at the same time I used the blank template, and couldn't figure out why I could not move.

My question is , does the map world have any BSP, is the world all add, or all hollow, or neither. I thik it's all one hollow now, not sure how they think on that.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:My question is , does the map world have any BSP, is the world all add, or all hollow, or neither. I thik it's all one hollow now, not sure how they think on that.
The void is hollow since UE3.
I don't think there's much BSP remaining in the engine. That's an old thing.
You must construct additional pylons.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

The Blueprints visual scripting system is not the only way to develop your own stuff in UE4/UT4, it's only a prototype system for those who don't have programming experience. If your're expert programmers, you can anyway code by using C++ with Microsoft Visual Studio, maybe the best IDE on the market (the Community Edition is available for free). 2 simultaneous developing systems can be useful, I think this was an interesting choice by Epic Games.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

It would take years to code a Unreal 3! Did you lose the notion suddenly?

I am better of sharpening my C++ and mapping skills while that.

Also holy sh!t they made the void hollow. Why Epic? It was so fun and easy to just take bites of a space, instead of making SIX FREAKING BRUSHES for a single cubic room! I hate Epic's new employees! I'd rather pay the original devs so they can work in UT4 once for all! It is good if it is free, but I don't care, because old ideals are great ideals and Cliff knows that a paid game knocks trollers that try to troll GitHub repos and other open-source projects!

PS: oh, nevermind my edits. I found a model that is a rough cylinder and the texture is a completely unrelated easter egg.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hmmm .... Modern cooked/Baked maps, or old fashioned MyLeveling and even removing brushes...
I see no useful difference :noidea

BSP building is doable in the new engine, and there are some freaks trying to build BSP only maps.
Gustavo6046 wrote:....I could make a Unreal 3 game from UE4 and send it to you.
:wth: No *slap*, you can't do that.
You first need to learn to map and create resources without errors.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Create resources? The only resources I am interested in are Blender models, I want to make models and export them to UnrealEd but Idk how to do it without Milkshake and I don't know what format preserves animations when exported from Blender...

Weapon of Destruction