I'm not an ideas guy! :D :D :D

Discussions about everything else
ANUBITEK
Adept

I'm not an ideas guy! :D :D :D

Post by ANUBITEK »

Thanks to a handful of good people, I think I've come quite a ways since I've started messing with UnrealScript. I have a hell of a lot more to learn, but I'd like to think that what I'm working on is coming along. If the mods wouldn't mind, I'd like to call UT99.org my home (not so much oldunreal, no hard feelings I just think I've gotten more help from here than there though they have helped me greatly in the past but certainly not a certain Captain Falcon). Here is an update video on what is done in my Unreal 227 mod (with my voice, so use with caution):
7cjPYJJJ6Pg

And here is a list of the things I came here to do, 50% now complete but with more work to be done!

[DONE] The player will be an invisible colliding actor that also has a single sheet that always faces a camera, but changes what sprite should be displayed according to what action is being taken.

[DONE] Making a custom camera that dynamically tracks the player as they move within a radial trigger.

[TO BE WORKED ON] Adding an inventory system similar to that of Fallout 3/New Vegas, where it is simple text as well as indicating how many of what items (ie, Potions) are in the inventory, which will need to be able to be used within the inventory through a UI, or a pause menu that the player can pull up any time in game and doesn't pause the game (similar to vote menus in UT '99 Multiplayer on most servers). The pause menu needs to be navigable in a fashion similar to that in Final Fantasy games.

[TO BE WORKED ON] Make a combat system similar to Final Fantasy X and Xenogears, which will include a battle order based on character stats that are dictated by a skill/passive tree that grants different skills per class/subclass. The combat will be tied to class trees that include 5 classes, with each class having a subclass, each subclass having unique properties that are granted to the player each level by unlocking the next part of the class tree. At a certain level, they can begin assigning more points but to a different subclass. After a certain event has happened, the player must be able to change assigned points to different classes at any time.
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: I'm not an ideas guy! :D :D :D

Post by Red_Fist »

We banned 227

:loool:

kidding
Binary Space Partitioning
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

b-but moshi moshi off-topic d-desu. . !~

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Looks interesting. I'm too lazy to look at the 8 minutes so I don't know where you're going with it, though. :P
You must construct additional pylons.
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Hellkeeper wrote:Looks interesting. I'm too lazy to look at the 8 minutes so I don't know where you're going with it, though. :P
If you've played either XenoGears or Paper Mario (or even the Mario and Luigi games), right now it is looking like a platformer similar to those. I'd highly suggest you watch the video, but skip from minute 1 to minute 6 in the video and mute the audio. I show some of my basic map geometry which I'd say I'm getting better at since my first UT map (the first rendition of AcidPit).

Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Very cool mod! :D :D :D May I help with UnrealScript and modelling? (I can only make .blend files :( ) I would recommend some turret mesh for that weapon that opens the door in the starting room. :)

Also I think the current to-do's are too hard for your skill currently. If only Ferali still were here... Well well you can still contact him for help in ModDB. :)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

I'll take any and all help I can get with the UnrealScript part, but first I need to figure out what all needs to be made next. First I need to flesh out the platformer part of the mod (level up items need to work, still gotta work on some other files as well so I can implement a skill set etc. etc.). That being said, I think the static mesh currently being used for the door opener (the crystal) does the job quite well on its own. Also the "turrets" seen later in the video are good on their own, but at some point I think I'll need like a spinning saw blade like from Prince of Persia.

You're right, the next things I need to do I'm going to need quite a bit of help being walked through since it is my first time interacting with Unreal Engine in general. I'd say I'm now maybe at an Adept level in UnrealScript but good god do I have more to learn. A hell of a lot more to learn.

Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I mean at the start, with that "thing" you use to blow up the door in the starting room, you could use a Turret mesh, like those in the Cannon. Then play a animation when it's fired. :) But these are just ideas.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@LannFyre
I'm very impressed about your camera work.
Du you know SP2D ?
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

I've said it a bunch, but Higor deserves quite a bit of credit on the camera and the camera position changing trigger. I would like to smooth out the transitions in the near future, but first I got some other stuff to work on. The camera is a ton of a fun playing around with.

I do know of and have even player SP2D, someone mentioned it on UnrealSP a while back and I checked it out. I'm impressed by what they managed to do, but I have to admit I am not a fan of the camera. The movement is way too quick and sometimes sudden, other than that the mod is absolutely solid and I'd probably be willing to download it again if I can just grin and bear the camera. I think there was an option to change how the camera worked as well, but I don't recall. That is the type of mod where I feel this kind of camera would work very well if implemented, hell if they wanted to modify it a little bit they could use it for a re-release.