My Windows fails again !

Discussions about everything else
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

My Windows fails again !

Post by Myth »

Crappy windows... I barely started. And once it started it greeted me whit this screen.
Windows is failing.jpg
Windows explorer DIED. I can't use it anymore. I guess internet explorer also died. Another reason to use firefox... But this isn't such a big problem. I have total commander, which is much more reliable. And if that fails too, then it's back to the dos commands.
Sometime soon I'll have to reinstall my windows. Well, It ran fine for a year or so...

My question is... should I try Vista? I don't really like Vista. But I'd like to hear other opinions.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Re: My Windows fails again !

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Myth wrote:Crappy windows... I barely started. And once it started it greeted me whit this screen.
Windows is failing.jpg
Windows explorer DIED. I can't use it anymore. I guess internet explorer also died. Another reason to use firefox... But this isn't such a big problem. I have total commander, which is much more reliable. And if that fails too, then it's back to the dos commands.
Sometime soon I'll have to reinstall my windows. Well, It ran fine for a year or so...

My question is... should I try Vista? I don't really like Vista. But I'd like to hear other opinions.
NO!!! STAY AWAY FROM VISTA!!! My friend has that on custom gaming laptop with 4 times the specs of my rig and it fails to move as fast as my system. It also can't handle half of the Windows exclusives I have installed on my XP or even Linux (Wine can run some stuff better than Vista) partitions. There is absolutely NO reason to get Vista, especially when there's Windows XP Professional, Windows XP 64 bit, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64 bit. Believe me Millenium Edition was more stable than Vista.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

XP Pro, dude!
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:
NO!!! STAY AWAY FROM VISTA!!! My friend has that on custom gaming laptop with 4 times the specs of my rig and it fails to move as fast as my system. It also can't handle half of the Windows exclusives I have installed on my XP or even Linux (Wine can run some stuff better than Vista) partitions. There is absolutely NO reason to get Vista, especially when there's Windows XP Professional, Windows XP 64 bit, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64 bit. Believe me Millenium Edition was more stable than Vista.
What's wrong with you? Vista is an excellent operating system once you got good enough system AND good drivers. Based on someones bad experience you can't say Vista is bad.

For thread starter - you forgot to post your computer specs.
Have you installed Windows XP with Service Pack 3? Best way to do it is to install Windows straight from integrated SP3 XP disc. Also it is very important you have latest chipset, video and other drivers installed to ensure stable system plus updates from Windows Update.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Raynor wrote:
Lee_Stricklin wrote:
What's wrong with you? Vista is an excellent operating system once you got good enough system AND good drivers. Based on someones bad experience you can't say Vista is bad.

For thread starter - you forgot to post your computer specs.
Have you installed Windows XP with Service Pack 3? Best way to do it is to install Windows straight from integrated SP3 XP disc. Also it is very important you have latest chipset, video and other drivers installed to ensure stable system plus updates from Windows Update.
Man, look, I worked with Vista, my collegues worked with Vista, my friends with Vista, and let me tell you something: Windows Vista is the second edition of Windows Millenium, it's a cancer for your PC, believe me.
Only half of our work software works in Vista.
There's only a few computer specs that works reasonable well with Vista, another ones have just HUGE bugs, and only half of all aplications work 100% with Vista.
And I am saying this as a friend that knows what he's talking about.

For another hand, if the Microsoft coders were really good, they could do a version of Windows with all the features that Vista has, with just 1/4 or 1/8 of the resources, they just did it more resource demanding so more high end computers could be sold. Just marketing strategy.

@Myth: You have to reinstall Windows, or make a restore. That might be caused by spyware or/and viruses that your AV and AS don't detect. I know this because stuff like that happenned to me like twice, and that was the cause. Good luck with that Myth :wink:
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

I actually toyed around with Vista on my friend's laptop that's how I know it runs bad. There's a lot of Windows XP programs that won't work with Vista but can be run on Linux.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Wow, no vista then...

I'll just reinstall my windows... When I won't be too lazy to do it.
I have tried restore and stuff like that. That's why I'm still able to run it.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Feralidragon wrote: Man, look, I worked with Vista, my collegues worked with Vista, my friends with Vista, and let me tell you something: Windows Vista is the second edition of Windows Millenium, it's a cancer for your PC, believe me.
There's only a few computer specs that works reasonable well with Vista, another ones have just HUGE bugs, and only half of all aplications work 100% with Vista.

For another hand, if the Microsoft coders were really good, they could do a version of Windows with all the features that Vista has, with just 1/4 or 1/8 of the resources, they just did it more resource demanding so more high end computers could be sold. Just marketing strategy.
I belive what I've experienced and I come across with Windows Vista and IT almost every single day, Vista before SP1 was really a major pain and back then I stciked with XP, but since when Service Pack 1 was released, it has become fully usable OS. And what are those mysterious applications that do not work? So far only about 10% of my apps had some compatibility issues and even those got resolved by obtaining latest versions of them. And it's true that about 8 times out of 10 crashes and hangs are caused by faulty drivers or hardware. People who are yelling Vista sucks really scares people away who never tried it and that's how they even don't get a chance to try it themselves. Vista is really more than just bells, whistles and Aero. Under the hood it has some really great technologies. Remember when XP came out, a LOT of people were saying they'll never go to XP and stick with 98/2000 instead. Same story goes to Vista.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Raynor wrote:
Feralidragon wrote: Man, look, I worked with Vista, my collegues worked with Vista, my friends with Vista, and let me tell you something: Windows Vista is the second edition of Windows Millenium, it's a cancer for your PC, believe me.

I belive what I've experienced and I come across with Windows Vista and IT almost every single day, Vista before SP1 was really a major pain and back then I stciked with XP, but since when Service Pack 1 was released, it has become fully usable OS. And what are those mysterious applications that do not work? So far only about 10% of my apps had some compatibility issues and even those got resolved by obtaining latest versions of them. And it's true that about 8 times out of 10 crashes and hangs are caused by faulty drivers or hardware. People who are yelling Vista sucks really scares people away who never tried it and that's how they even don't get a chance to try it themselves. Vista is really more than just bells, whistles and Aero. Under the hood it has some really great technologies. Remember when XP came out, a LOT of people were saying they'll never go to XP and stick with 98/2000 instead. Same story goes to Vista.
I have a collegue that has a high end laptop, all latest drivers, Vista with all the updates and the Service Pack, still some of basic software doesn't work well in Vista, besides some hangs and stuff (yeah, he has everything correctly installed).
So, if this happens on work, in a company that has good computer professionals, and they have problems with Vista every single day (they work in about 8 hours a day on that OS).
They move to XP, everything runs fine.
Good about Vista: features like the visuals, GUI and DirectX10.
Bad about Vista: Crashes, hangs, only 50% of applications work, and so on.

You might just use Vista as a home OS, but when it is related to hard professional work, shit happens. Trust me mate :roll:
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Everybody knows that Windows sucks. Switch to Linux, like me. It's better.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Oh! and about DirectX10. It is just the way Microsoft tries to bribe you to get Vista. (Sorry if I'm starting to rave or something...)
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Ubuntu 8.04 is every bit as easy to use as Windows. There a few things you'll have to jump through hoops to get working, but that's a one time shot. Most of the people that I've shown this to love it. My aunt has recently loaded it onto her computer and I still haven't gotten any emails from her asking for help with it and my grandma plans on loading it onto one of her older machines as well. My aunt and my grandma BOTH long-time Windows users are now loading Ubuntu onto some of their machines. The ONLY reason I'm running my second-boot (I have a dual-booted system) Windows right now is because I haven't gotten my wireless drivers installed (my device doesn't work "out of the box") and I have a PIECE OF SHIT ATI GRAPHICS CARD (512MB PowerColor HD 2600 AGP-Avoid it. I got nothing but problems with this thing.) installed until I can get an Nvidia AGP card.