MH-HoldTheLine

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

MH-HoldTheLine

Post by JackGriffin »

OK so Creav laid the law down to me and I agreed: we need more maps with better ideas. It got into my mind and I got to tossing ideas around.

I served during the first Desert Storm. This isn't meant to divert into a political discussion, just give you a point of reference. One thing infantry does is create a perimeter around them, a defensive area that Will. Not. Be. Given. Senior officers will work up and down the perimeter telling the soldiers in no uncertain terms to "Hold the line! If Satan himself comes in on a flaming beast of war you will not give the line!" It's important that this perimeter is never breached because any weak link dooms the entire interior.

Now, I dreamed about that the other night and after I woke it gave me a great idea for a unique MH map. In this map you will have a small central fort and the monsters attack from all sides. Not like DefendingMars or that other crap, this will be a true defending of the line. If you don't protect the gate the monsters will breach it and you are doomed. It will take teamwork and perseverance and even a little luck to survive the onslaught.

Now what I really need is a texturist. I'm fine in mapping and coding but doing the texturing I'm just terrible at. The basic map layout is done, I'm setting up the trigger sequence now but I'd love it if someone could take an hour and retexture the map for me. It's sorely in need of it but it wouldn't be a terribly hard project if you are interested. Anyone not busy?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: MH-HoldTheLine

Post by Creavion »

First it is CREV (without the "a" - of course only as short version)
Second: You got me, at first I thought someboy would show pics of a new map, duh.

I am more of a collector than a texture artist (although I can call myself a photoshop amatuer). Since I have a lot of stuff, tell me what you need or at least state a rough direction of how the textures are supposed to look. I know the content of Unreal 2 and UT2004 pretty well, moreoever I have highres textures of Quake 1, Quake 2 (only a few), Doom. Up to a certain degree I also can make some own stuff based on existing content, which however takes longer of course.

@cental fort: Looks like our ideas are crossing. Not so long ago, .... I got an idea for a small single player map called "Krall Desert Fortress", where ... I leave the rest for later, your map seems to work different. Would the map be limited for that "single area"? A small painting with some explanations maybe?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

HoldLine.jpg
This ought to let you see where I'm going. The map itself is very big but it needs to be to hold the effect. Also the texture ARE very bland but it's what I really need help with. You can't leave the central fort and the invaders all come in at you (think Starship Troopers, it's much like the base invasion scene from that).

One thing I'm struggling with is how to make it playable with low player count. I might have a solution for that though. Anyway I'm scripting the attack sequence stuff now. It will also have some skybox interaction (that's why no 'live' shot) and some other treats. I don't want to spend weeks on this but I have some ideas for things undone in other maps.

BTW can two different factories use the same spawnpoint at different times?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Hmm ok, to put it in a nutshell:
Most of the map is supposed to be a desert. I see some columns there, why anyway? The hills - I think are supposed to be the places there the monsters are spawning from? How large is the courtyard which the players hold?

@monster factories: AFAIK no. But AFAIK I know you are a scripter? :tongue:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The columns are to break up the sightlines to the outside of the skybox. They are more placeholders than actual things. I haven't decided what to use just yet but it does need something. The theme is not set to 'desert' either, it's just the texture set I used right now to match the skybox. I rather like it though because it makes the incoming monsters hard to see at a distance but highlights them as they get closer.

I might start replacing the towers with assorted larger block chunks like rubble from a much larger temple is left. Also the surrounding plains will have smoking fires, rubble, weeds, etc. I just need clear lines to work out the incoming monsters. Lastly you can't see it clearly but the fort lies on a small hill in the center with the surrounding area going into a flat plain that matches the skybox, which has surrounding mountains on all sides and a working volcano in the skybox.
Last edited by JackGriffin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Since I think you are not supposed to visit theses places anyway, what about... blank desert mostly? Here an oasis, here a pyramid (would not need many polys e.g.)
About to be non-active
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah I like that, I'll make a few ruined pyramids and toss in some egyptian theme. Sort of like a stargate sort of deal.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

http://www.map-factory.org/unreal-tourn ... kairo-1672
You see the sky-box here? Pretty simple buildings ...but it works.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You mind if I rip off some of your buildings? I need my skybox though, you'll see why.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You don't have to place them in your sky-box your map is big enough ...and btw. those buildings are simple shapes... easy build.
I wanted to show you how simple something can be and will look good anyway.
(man I'm tiered ...my english is weakening)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

There's a map that has a similar concept to this, name escapes me at the moment... I'll get back to you on that.

Base in the middle, special weapons inside, monsters attacking from all sides from ground level and raised ledges on the mountains around.

That said, your screenshot up there looks better. More space, smaller base.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I have one called DefendingMars.
Kinda Starship Troopers themed...
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Same idea for this map, in fact I ripped off a chunk of the fort from that one. It has the monsters done all wrong though, they just roll around outside. There is no sense of attack.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Maybe i should start a map for this idea... No offence JackGriffin, it can be done a bit better ;)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

None taken, though you have seen nothing really to "do better than" :/