DM-CMC-Constantine (contest '17)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: DM-CMC-Constantine (contest '17)

Post by nogardilaref »

Screenshots do not need mipmaps (they shouldn't have any actually), but it is a fact that when I opened your map in UEd to check this out, your screenshot was appearing as something rather "corrupted".

So I did a simple test, and exported an existing 256x256 standard texture, and then imported it back into MyLevel, without mipmaps, and there was no problem whatsoever.
I guess it all goes down to how exactly you imported the screenshot, and from which format (pcx, 8 bit bmp or 24 bit bmp, or even something else), and in which editor (2.0 or 2.1).

Interesting map btw. :)
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

nogardilaref wrote:Screenshots do not need mipmaps (they shouldn't have any actually), but it is a fact that when I opened your map in UEd to check this out, your screenshot was appearing as something rather "corrupted".

So I did a simple test, and exported an existing 256x256 standard texture, and then imported it back into MyLevel, without mipmaps, and there was no problem whatsoever.
I guess it all goes down to how exactly you imported the screenshot, and from which format (pcx, 8 bit bmp or 24 bit bmp, or even something else), and in which editor (2.0 or 2.1).

Interesting map btw. :)
I legit don't know what to do. I'm trying to appease to the other render. And it's claiming it needed mipmaps. Even though it was just a 256by256.

I imported the file with 2.1 at first but it was corrupt. I must have just forgotten the editor this last time...

I'm exasperated with fixing that over and over and over. :ironic2: There's already like 5 versions technically.

edit:Checked in editor. Screenshot looks fine. Did you download the latest version?
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SilverSound wrote: I legit don't know what to do. I'm trying to appease to the other render. And it's claiming it needed mipmaps. Even though it was just a 256by256.
Is it to do with the colour depth of the screenshot? Have a look through your posts last year sometime and you will see a similar problem with a WIP map you posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11745&start=15#p92564

I forgot to mention that the Claw is also partly buried in the floor.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

SilverSound wrote:I imported the file with 2.1 at first but it was corrupt. I must have just forgotten the editor this last time...
That's very likely the problem right there.

The way I understand it, you probably took the screenshot, cropped it, and then imported it into UEd2.1, while it was still a full color bmp image.
One of the great things about UEd2.1 and Unreal 227 in general, is its ability to use full color textures (mostly as DXT1 iirc), and UT itself also supports DXT1 afaik although you cannot import it directly (you have to use UEd2.1 or even UEd3.0 (UT2004) editor to do so).
So your screenshot was probably imported and saved as DXT1 or another full color format internally, and both the original D3D and Software cannot handle those without having an "enough" number of mipmaps, similarly to high resolution textures.

I am betting that if you converted your screenshot to 8-bit color bmp or pcx, through Bright or something else (although Bright is the best you ever gonna have to do so), regardless if you imported it through 2.0 or 2.1, the screenshot would work even without mipmaps.
Might be an experiment worth doing, even if just for future reference.
SilverSound wrote: edit:Checked in editor. Screenshot looks fine. Did you download the latest version?
I didn't download the latest, back then I downloaded the first version to check the map and check the problem people were having.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Terraniux wrote: Every map should be compatible with everything that comes stock with UT.
In theory, perhaps. But that's not possible in practice - mappers with renderers later than the original stock UT renderers simply aren't going to be aware of the problems players of their maps might experience using those original renderers - because the mappers themselves won't experience them.

It seems to me quite legitimate to make a map best experienced using a specific renderer - for example, I don't think anyone has complained about the maps made by that respected mapper FraGnBraG - several of his maps have the following in the readme
Spoiler
INTENDED UT RENDERING DRIVER :
OpenGL (UTGLR28) or LATER version
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

OjitroC wrote:
SilverSound wrote: I legit don't know what to do. I'm trying to appease to the other render. And it's claiming it needed mipmaps. Even though it was just a 256by256.
Is it to do with the colour depth of the screenshot? Have a look through your posts last year sometime and you will see a similar problem with a WIP map you posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11745&start=15#p92564

I forgot to mention that the Claw is also partly buried in the floor.

I fixed all the weapon and ammo issues in an update. That would be Chaos's swapping being a bit derp. Unless I put in the native swap actors from the mod, there will always be an issue with weapon height.

nogardilaref wrote:
SilverSound wrote:I imported the file with 2.1 at first but it was corrupt. I must have just forgotten the editor this last time...
That's very likely the problem right there.

The way I understand it, you probably took the screenshot, cropped it, and then imported it into UEd2.1, while it was still a full color bmp image.
I actually made my games resolution "256x256" in windowed. So I can screen shot then look at it in the folder. I'm sure I imported the file through the 2.0 editor. I don't see any corruption other wise I know I would. (I had that issue before)

To answer the "Treatment" reference, I was extremely new to screenshoting for maps. So I had no idea what I was doing. I think I eventually fixed it. Just had to use the normal editor. I've never had to edit my pics.

This is my second serious map ever. I'm whole heatedly expecting issues. Just sucks it's so many at once. :lol2:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

The map is working for me now. Thank you.

I will write my review later.

And for all people out there, I never used any other renderer ever since UT was released! It's true. :mrgreen:
This member can only post when permitted.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SilverSound wrote: .. That would be Chaos's swapping being a bit derp ...
Yes, that IS the problem - you need to take account of Chaos's swapping when you place items - did you read through the ChaosUT Issues thread, in which these problems are discussed at some length and solutions offered? The issue is more to do with ammo height than weapon height.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

Terraniux wrote:The map is working for me now. Thank you.

I will write my review later.

And for all people out there, I never used any other renderer ever since UT was released! It's true. :mrgreen:
I'm so happy to hear that. I hadden't had any run-ins with the UTgoblins at all in that map, only till now! The dirty buggers. :wth:

Let me know what you think of current layout. I did notice some ammo issues. (seems sparse, even though there are a lot) Did that so you could do some more chaos stuff. Like sword.

Though due to my idiocy It would be hard to release any newer updated versions.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

SilverSound wrote:Just sucks it's so many [issues] at once. :lol2:
Just have a look at Light51 also... :lol:
SilverSound wrote:Though due to my idiocy It would be hard to release any newer updated versions.
Why don't you use version numbers in the map? DM-CMC-ConstantineV2, DM-CMC-ConstantineV3, ...
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

Barbie wrote:
SilverSound wrote:Just sucks it's so many [issues] at once. :lol2:
Just have a look at Light51 also... :lol:
SilverSound wrote:Though due to my idiocy It would be hard to release any newer updated versions.
Why don't you use version numbers in the map? DM-CMC-ConstantineV2, DM-CMC-ConstantineV3, ...
Light51? (quick check) How the hell? Quick delete fix.

OK I'm seriously going to do my darnedest to fix all the shite before I do anymore releases. Anyone else have any issues I never saw before? I want them fixed ASAP.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

While your at it, I tried a quickmatch on your map.... wow what quiet place you have here.......... way too quiet!
Mind addind some noisy ambient noises? :mrgreen:

Map itself played alright, a bit too room-corridor-room syndrome in there. Still good though. :gj:
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

UnrealGGecko wrote:While your at it, I tried a quickmatch on your map.... wow what quiet place you have here.......... way too quiet!
Mind addind some noisy ambient noises? :mrgreen:

Map itself played alright, a bit too room-corridor-room syndrome in there. Still good though. :gj:

Ah! I did notice that. I had some issues with some of the ambiance being too loud. I also learned a bit from making this map. The room corr room thing was a side effect of my learning.

Though the only thing I would add would be more volume to the sounds in the center room. I would add some trigger based creaking to the wood in the library though.

Separate note: Here's what that ScreenShot looks like in editor https://gyazo.com/78c08a29b606d646ed74ffaee37cc809

Fixed it anyway. converted to 8bit color and it went away.(the corruption)

Should I edit in some zoneing? I know a lot of builtin maps zone off rooms for performance. Not sure if I need to. Let me know if the map runs a little slower than you would like on your machine.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

Bump. Updated first post with the update.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Played with bots only, forgot to turn off the health/ammo regenerator I use for MH.
· Great map, good flow.
· Music was one of my faves.
· Bots handled the map like a dream, well done.
· Looks like pathing had bots going everywhere, nowhere was really neglected.

Loved it!
Attachments
Shot0059.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758