MH-CMC-PartyCrashers - T's Official cmc topic.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
makemeunreal
Masterful

Re: MH-NoNameYet - T's Official cmc topic.

Post by makemeunreal »

Neat stuff you've got there! I really like the overall look and atmosphere these shots show.
Can't wait to fire it up.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: MH-CMC-PartyCrashers - T's Official cmc topic.

Post by nogardilaref »

Seconded. :mrgreen:
That boss + cow + sword statue is really quite something, and does look really cool. :gj:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I'm releasing my map as well, and for you haters out there, try to beat this!

I ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT.

UNPACKED :
9,99MB

on disk 10MB

BEAT THAT BITCHES :D :rock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am finished, I MAXED EVERYTHING ON THIS I COULD.

Yes the price / winner will mine :agree1: ( friendly competition / nothing harsh intended)
Attachments
muahahah
muahahah
muhaahaha
muhaahaha
pack.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
This member can only post when permitted.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

LOL, nice :lol2: :mrgreen:

When it comes to filesize, I already lost for sure.
My own map has pretty much nothing more than brush work and lighting, still my map is already at 8MB and I am only at around 60%~65%, I didn't remember UE1 being this wasteful when saving map files, plus the 3MB from the package I am using, I already went over that limit, so one less point for me for sure. :lol:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks, download was ok this time and your map is already running [url=unreal://81.169.240.101:7777]on my server[/url]. :D

But there are a few points:
  1. If you want to distribute that map as a single archive also (outside the Mapping Contest) I suggest that you add all depending packages.
  2. You are using "poor mappers fog" in ZoneInfo0. Wiki describes it with: it is very cheap resource-wise, but it is not that realistic. Yes, it really looks ugly. I recommend using Volumetric Fog.
  3. There is a spell error in SpecialEvent1.Message.
  4. Items placed in the void: Light15, Light17, UDamage2.
  5. Just a hint: Trigger23 has a really huge collision cylinder (R5000/H2048), no TriggerDelay nor bTriggerOnceOnly. I remember a map where such has caused lags in net game (but I did not notice any lags here). Better use multiple Triggers with smaller collision cylinder or a TimedTrigger or StochasticTrigger.
  6. CreatureFactory2 (Gasbags) has no SpawnPoints.
  7. CreatureFactory0.MaxItems (250, Pupaes) is too much for net play.
  8. Client's log (7 entries):
    Warning: SpawnActor failed because class UTFlare has bStatic or bNoDelete
    Warning: Actor not spawned for new channel
    This happens if the default value of "bStatic" is True and mapper has set it manually to false for an instance of this class. This Actor will not exist on clients (and therefore not be visible).
    Solution 1: Subclass it and set the default value of bStatic to False.
    Solution 2: Use another decoration - the "U" for example (it has bStatic==false as default)
  9. Multiple error messages:
    Mover MH-CMC-PartyCrashers2.Mover13 (Function Engine.Mover.MakeGroupReturn:0033) GotoState (None Close): Label not found
    Solution: Set Mover13.InitialState to a none empty value (BumpOpenTimed will work for example)
  10. Multiple error messages:
    MortarSpawner MH-CMC-PartyCrashers2.MortarSpawner18 (Function Botpack.MortarSpawner.LaunchShell:010C) Accessed None
    MortarSpawner MH-CMC-PartyCrashers2.MortarSpawner18 (Function Botpack.MortarSpawner.LaunchShell:0114) Attempt to assigned variable through None
    This is caused by the too narrow Brush195 - the MortarShell cannot be spawned there but is accessed later in the code.
    Solution: enlarge Brush195, especially in x/y-axis and to the ground. (And have a look in file UnrealTournament.log for errors or warnings after you have run the map ;)
  11. Multiple error messages:
    MovableMinigunCannon MH-CMC-PartyCrashers2.MovableMinigunCannon6 (Function Botpack.MinigunCannon.ActiveCannon.Timer:0046) Accessed None
    MovableMinigunCannon MH-CMC-PartyCrashers2.MovableMinigunCannon6 (Function Botpack.MinigunCannon.Shoot:0112) Accessed None
    I guess this happens if MinigunCannon.Enemie==None (Pawn might be dead or does not exist any more), because a check for this case is not done in the stock code but happily accessed that variable. If I should fix that for you, just give a hint.
Last edited by Barbie on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've had a quick play through the first part of the map this morning - up to where the Krall and the Warlord are - it is certainly fun and challenging.

Just a couple of comments (playing with ChaosUT set to replace UT stuff and weapons set to stay)
  1. 1. You have sniper rifle ammo at the start but no sniper rifle - that's not a problem obviously but is there a need for sniper ammo there when the sniper rifle is much futher on in the map - it would be good to have a sniper rifle there
    2. The minigun ammo, which would provide ammo for the enforcers, is swapped for the CAS12 ammo - the effect of this is that, without an ammo regenerator, one is likely to run out of ammo for the enforcers fairly quickly in dealing with the flies and tentacles
Finally am I the only person to get this in the log?
Spoiler
Log: ArrowPack0 fell out of the world!
Log: ArrowPack1 fell out of the world!
Log: ArrowPack2 fell out of the world!
Log: ExpArrowPack0 fell out of the world!
Log: ArrowPack3 fell out of the world!
... and to see the UtilityGun ammo partly buried and so unable to be picked up?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I gave you an incomplete solution here:
Barbie wrote:Solution: enlarge Brush195
Because the Mover (and with it the MortarSpawners) passes solid material, a MortarShell cannot be spawned there. A better solution would be adding a check in the code if a MortarShell was spawned.
Please let know if I should fix that.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Thanks for the commentaries. But do you guys actually play the map, or just check the logs only?

I'll see what I fix and change later on. I never check logs often, seems you guys do that a lot!
Didn't spend much time in the ChaousUTIssues topic, don't have the time to read that too.
About the fog, if people don't have it on, they won't see it. Their choice.

I had the real volumetric on, but I was way too pressing on the engine + MANY actors didn't work well with real fog. Being unlit and/giving very weird looks.
That's why I chose the fake fog, no problems and better looking in my opinion. Small areas work well, with the realfog, but for the entire map, it is lagging as hell.

But again, I'll think about it. Maybe I remove it. I don't know. For I leave the map as it is. Been working really hard, and coming exhausted home.

For all I care, is that the map is fun, works well, people enjoy it. Background noise (spitting logs and background messages) rarely bothers me.
This member can only post when permitted.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I have not tested the map so far, so my question:
Is it possible to release a second map version only with standard weapons, so it can be played with Nali Weapons in a pleasant way?
Or aren't there Chaos weapons integrated?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Terraniux wrote: But do you guys actually play the map, or just check the logs only?
Basically what I do with Chaos maps and the maps for this competition is to walk through them - with ChaosUT set to replace UT stuff and THEN with it set to cycle between Chaos and UT stuff - THEN I look at the log, which will contain entries for both modes on the same map. I later play them. I have been looking at Chaos maps to see what issues there might be.

With yours, I've played it only with ChaosUT set to replace UT stuff and checked the log, plus I did have a quick look at it in UEd.

I have now got up to the area with the Titans - it is an excellent MH map - demanding and fun - you certainly have managed to make good use of the space available and have created a proper Chaos atmosphere - with a health and ammo regenerator I can just about play it by myself (which is what I like to do with MH maps).

The only additional comment I have so far is on the UtilityGun - I just wonder if it is worth having in a MH map - it doesn't freeze ScriptedPawns (and, I assume but don't know, doesn't burn them either) and its projectiles are fired in a fairly short range parabola. The only damage it does is the projectile hit damage. In the context of your map, by the time one reaches the UtilityGun, one already has more effective weapons in the Claw and the CAS12 and can use these against the Skaarj and Pupae that come next. The UtilityGun isn't really much use against Skaarj Lords.

Personally I would replace it by the Crossbow or move the Crossbow to the start - but that's just my opinion.
Aldebaran wrote: Or aren't there Chaos weapons integrated?
No there aren't - you can play with NW OK.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Why in this contest is hard to do a good map speaking about technical details ? Because of CHAOS idea. First default issues are that ammo are falling and then are useless - the rest of bugs usually are disturbing admins which are using to run clean servers - stability is the same priority as the fun so yes, admins are checking logs trying to reduce server-damage - that's a different story.
Things do seems to go more messed up with these chaos crapped sh!te trash garbage manure meshes :agree1: toward AMMO which this mod is replacing, not to mention Accessed Nones roaming around.
Mapper can tweak his map but... this is a bit of extra work for making it full compatible with Chaos. Or I think Chaos deliberated was reacting in this way for making a mess letting players less loaded - Or Not.
First step - post contest after looking over what people are doing I'm gonna compile a small mutator (posted code) for helping this brain-fart called Chaos to not mock mapper's work. If anybody else will do that releasing it and/or improving it, that's good as well.
Second step - hang on, hold your breath - FIXING chaos mutator under a conformed file as long as for years this thing was crapping consoles and nobody moved a finger around it. I'm not gonna look at good maps spamming trash because this mod do sucks - yeah, that's the reason which was making me to not even think at this contest (during this time I did another map - not important right now).
If you have a problem with using a fixed Chaos mutator, I'm fine, I'll do it for me without saying anything.

About this map, I don't have the most lousy machine right now (I can play smoother a bunch of maps) but this map seems to lag me a bit, you have 2 giant triggers which are simply a bad idea as oversized as they are. I will check options another time.
As from the game-play view, map is GOOD, I like monsters a bit boosted and challenging, I'm not using regenerators all time, for sure when I'm drunk I don't play with regenerators. I must see that mobile "star" how much is visible ON-LINE.
Such a map is good if it's well executed even if it's not played under Chaos, that's why a good setup is helpful.
If this map will run borked ON-Line but I'll love it, I'm gonna fix it, no worries.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: First step - post contest after looking over what people are doing I'm gonna compile a small mutator (posted code) for helping this brain-fart called Chaos to not mock mapper's work.
That would be good.

As regards MH, the other Chaos problem is that some of the weapons/projectiles don't work against Scripted Pawns - which means it is useless having them (some are also comparatively ineffective, which is a different issue). A more configurable Chaos would be good as well.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

To stay on Topic, THIS map can be used as a testing ground for MH-Chaos (perhaps later - someday I'll build one too). However subject is... sensitive.
Point 1) Another version without causing mismatches is Limited. How goes these limits ? Based on a small programming logic. So to speak if whatever damaging value is hard-coded it won't go into a configurable thing inside next generation of chaos because old version will "not know" wtf is that. By conforming some mutator there are things to take in account - solving ONLY Authoritative actions (sanity checkers as first target, removal of some crap - will not get called so is not a problem, etc.) things concerning client if are different in new generation will be similar like conforming 2 different maps CTF-Coret and DM-Agony - yeah, you get it, this combination is impossible to run but doable causing a dumb bork never playable. That's why upgrading is limited in options, else some coding genius might have a solution.
Point 2) Aggressively rewriting everything and releasing a new package - mismatch - but having a new world (configuration, General Pawn support - any type) and no longer messing with the old thing.
Point 3) The big question - Does this thing worth the time and energy ? If yes, let's see what will say "Da Factory" first - as a first re-touch this might be their job. Awaking them from sleep with a trumpet probably will cause a heart attack - hell knows. However by leaving it alone but helping maps with a 2 kb of mutator will not hurt anything, even stock maps can be "chaosified" - ALready I was testing that 1on1-DavidM or such - all I have to say is that mutator works properly and map can run under Chaos (regarding to crapped ModifyPlayer errors - that code is a dumb deal from my viewport).
Point 4) That small thing/mutator - my proposal as I can see so far - I think I'll re-think it. Why ? Because I want to get rid of iterator if possible, games have already a nasty frame load in their first stage I don't want to contribute at a crash - I repeat, if this is possible... if not, that's it I'll keep this way.
Point 5) Damaging ScriptedPawns (known as aka Monsters) is hard to say that even stock UT stuff does something. Samples: amazing Slith VS Biorifle, Shockball vs Titan/Queen. As long as even UT itself has issues here probably Chaos must follow "rules" (aka crapped default codes) to not do damage in every instance. Trust me if everything works perfect it will no longer trigger interest, players are always asking admins to load garbage :loool: . I lived such an experience and I suggested them to pick another fool admin for completing this task because I'm no longer ruin my own server for their ideas.
Point 6) Making 2 different things - one with iterator, the second without iterator - letting people to do tests and to pick the right option. Huh ?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Terraniux wrote: For all I care, is that the map is fun, works well, people enjoy it.
Played it right through to the end - it certainly is fun - the ending is amazing :gj: :tu:
sektor2111 wrote:Point 6) Making 2 different things - one with iterator, the second without iterator - letting people to do tests and to pick the right option. Huh ?
Good idea. Re Point 5) I see what you mean there.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hmm I took non-mentioned option 3... apology for a little off-topic but I see here the need to punch Chaos in eyes.
I'm making a child mutator of chaos and rewriting stuff a bit for a faster deal using a very basic logic.
If Chaos is replacing weaponry with "MyMarker" this can be done a single time, the rest of checks in replacement are USELESS because as I know so far nothing in game after starting party gets suddenly a "MyMarker" from nowhere, those are level items which can be checked ONCE not all time as it does right now.
Mutator does a Z push for items having a "big" distance on Z axis from that MyMarker (that is InventorySpot). If item is very low, is pushed up, if not, is left alone. Why ? Because we don't need to push items mapped "properly" - quoted because placing items as Chaos wants looks like an ass hanging in mouth :lol2:, seriously is jerky. Mutator does this "PUSH" right before replacement so it won't be needed any sort of main iterator...
Being a child of Chaos mutator it will be used as replacement for Chaos 1.1 and not combined with it. Also to mention that it will address default game-types (+ MH for whoever uses it ). Original Chaos Mutator will be a dependent dev package due to stuff used (replacements, initialization, etc.)
If you have another idea use it, at this moment I don't have other ideas about tweaking.

After finishing it and testing it on this MH map by Terraniux I'll share it in some "mutators" section