CTF-CMC-Kullrena (FINAL)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

CTF-CMC-Kullrena (FINAL)

Post by nogardilaref »

Author: nogardilaref
Date: 2017-12-01
Description: Capture the Flag map, Chaos-themed, final version.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qwej3lf48 ... llrena.zip

Permissions:
Anyone is free to modify and release new versions of all the content present here, or even extract anything from it, as long as a different filename is used to avoid file mismatches in servers, such as "CTF-CMC-Kullrena-MyVersion" for example, thus there is no need to contact me if such is intended.
Credits are also nice, but not strictly needed.

Description:
This arena is set in a chaotic, cloudy and rainy world, where even the sunlight barely manages to reach the surface at all, and is where the Chaos champions come to settle the score once and for all.
Strategy or brute force, stealth or blowing everything up, direct approach or surprise attack, it's completely up to you on how you play it to achieve victory.

Notes:
This release consists in two variations of the same map:
- the original, CTF-CMC-Kullrena;
- the lite version, CTF-CMC-Kullrena-Lite, which is stripped down from a lot of the visual detail present in the original, so that, unlike the original, it's actually playable with little to no performance issues.

Screenshots:

Last edited by nogardilaref on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Re: CTF-CMC-Kullrena (WIP)

Post by Pileyrei »

The map looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Nice! :agree1:

I've been too busy with work to join the contest, but look forward to playing this map!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This is level design at it's highest iterations. :jealous:
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Awesome!
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Man looks absolute great.
Looks like a doom map imo :gj:
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

I think i have a hard time competing this :shock:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Only now I finished the underground area, so I am starting to get worried about delivering this map on time.
Fortunately however the rest of the map shouldn't give me as much work, but only time will tell.

Some notes: I am having a few problems in this area, such as performance (caused by smoke and BSP polys) and lighting bugs ("randomly" dark areas, specially on lava), but I will leave these to fix at the end, even because with some zoning and moving a few things back and forth in the end should do the trick, I hope.
Items, paths and whatnot, I am leaving those to the end too, so this area only has structural stuff (BSP, mesh decorations, etc).
I also made the ceiling chains much shorter, since they were affecting visibility during gameplay.

Having that said, here are some screenshots of what it looks like:

nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Here's another update, the ramp area which goes from underground to the flag base.
Lighting and other stuff is still missing in the flag base itself (hence being completely dark there), and I spent more time on this ramp than I would like to admit (spent more time thinking in what to do with it than doing it).

And now I am really starting to get worried about the timing on this thing, so during this next week I will really have to plan things out through and input more work on this thing to be more productive, otherwise I won't make the deadline.

So here's some screenshots:

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

:mrgreen: Well ...it was mainly you, who advocated for a short contest.

btw. :gj: ...this lighting (and brushwork) looks amazing.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote::mrgreen: Well ...it was mainly you, who advocated for a short contest.
Yeah, I know. :lol2:
I intended to do a very simple map which would only take me a day or two to make, but I ended up doing what you're seeing, and I am already at 16K BSP nodes (the engine limit is 64K).
It's been years since I have built a map, so I ended up having too much fun on this one, adding all the details I wanted to add and all, and now I have to manage to finish up this thing in 2 weeks.

Luckily, I can allocate a lot more time this week to this map, but still I need to plan a few things out to not spend more time staring at the monitor figuring out what to do next.
papercoffee wrote:btw. :gj: ...this lighting (and brushwork) looks amazing.
Thanks. :)
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

We aren't going to make it either. Anyone up for extending to the end of the month?
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

JackGriffin wrote:We aren't going to make it either. Anyone up for extending to the end of the month?
Although that would be cool for both me and you, I don't think it should be done at all.

Back then I advocated for rules and limits, and this exact amount of time myself to avoid exactly any extensions like this to occur from anyone, including from myself, and I still do advocate for them for the same reasons.
Plus it would be very unfair to those mappers who worked, maybe a few around the clock (who knows) and rushing a bit here and there to ensure they finished their map on time.

So, as far as my own standing goes on this, the deadline should remain the same, whether or not that means we're able to make it on time at all.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah you are right <sigh>. I wish my free time wasn't so damn limited, I've literally been using every free bit to work on the map.

Anyway, where is the sign-up sheet to playtest this beast for you? At the end of the day nothing beats a gorgeous map. No tricks in coding, no awesome story, no unique monsters or puzzles. Having a map that just pulls you in and puts you 'there' is very rarely done and such a pleasure to enjoy. I'm very much looking forward to playing this one because by all appearances it looks to be one of those exceptional maps.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

You can do it guys. We believe!

Here is something motivational ( at least I hope )

This member can only post when permitted.