CTF-CMC-Kullrena (FINAL)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-CMC-Kullrena (WIP)

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, I'm just gonna declare you the winner now... unless there's any objections.
I have no authority to do this.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dunno about that, Silver's map is a major step up from last year, Xankon's and map looks like a worthy contender as well as....

Hell, so far everyone is at their A+ game. No idea who might win this one :rock:
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Just another update: the flag bases themselves. :)

With this, in terms of BSP the only parts missing is the central arena, the upper part of the tower and an alternate way which ends up on top of the flag bases.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Boo! you just took the first pictures and photo-shopped them to make the blue base... shame on you.

I really love this lighting ... how is the performance?
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

The brushwork in this one is stunning. I'd love too check this out in game.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:... how is the performance?
Thus far the performance is perfect in most areas, except the underground area I have been showing thus far, mostly due to the lava smoke effect.

I have been toning it down over time to values in which the area would perform well, but then I added more brushes and whatnot, and that increased the poly count at such a level that I almost have to remove it to get an acceptable performance going.
However, I have a last weapon in my arsenal: zoning. Zones make huge BSP splits which properly isolate areas, even in terms of rendering, so at the end I will try to isolate some areas in hopes that will reduce the poly count to render. If that doesn't work, I will probably have to severely tone down the smoke again. :\
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

level looks very nice; not a fan of smoke/fog in maps
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Cronoloop wrote:level looks very nice; not a fan of smoke/fog in maps
Complete opposite here, love fog in maps. If done right it can add a lot to a map. Just need to find the right balance of performance, size and thickness. :thuup:
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Dunno about that, Silver's map is a major step up from last year, Xankon's and map looks like a worthy contender as well as....

Hell, so far everyone is at their A+ game. No idea who might win this one :rock:
I was just looking through this thread to see the amazing progress. Wasn't expecting you to say that. You have no idea how much it helps to hear such a thing from anyone.

This map is a goal for anyone who wants to make great feeling maps. I'll be looking at this in editor to try and learn some things. I think I know who my votes going for. ;)
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

All I have to say is that nogardilaref seems the winner. Don't say that I did not tell you...
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

It really does look awesome. :highfive:
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Thank you for the compliments and your confidence on this map, but to have any chance at all I must first be able to finish it, which I already am having a hard time with. :Actor:
I still have to do things like bot pathing and item placement on top of it, plus fixing a few lighting and performance issues with it in a couple of zones.

Plus, it's like UnrealGecko mentioned, there are many very interesting maps in this contest, all of which have the same shot in winning this I believe. It will only be when all maps are released and tried out in the end that a winner might become apparent. Screenshots never do a map justice, specially in maps where the mapper is not going for visuals but for an original concept.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

I don't feel like competin'. It's just clear that my concept (for example) is inferior to this. So is geometry and lighting and and and...
I pretty much faked it all up the moment I started the map.
I had this bath-style-full-o-tiles theme and couldn't force myself not to try it.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Then by all means do your best work. Damn guys don't let "better" work deter you from presenting *your* best. I love to code mods but almost every developer here can do better than me. You know what? I don't care. I do my very best work and I enjoy sharing it with you guys. Criticism is one thing and it's also a good thing. Comparing....well that's not so much. You don't need to compare yourself to anything but your best work.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Shoo shoo! Let this guy work on his map and stop irritate him with doxologies.

That's why I keep silent with my project to prevent that people sue me, because their jaw got hurt hitting the ground. :mrgreen:

Just because his pictures are awesome doesn't mean the gameplay is as well :twisted:
Now go to your maps and beat this guy with awesome ideas.