How does one go about skinning monsters?

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: How does one go about skinning monsters?

Post by JackGriffin »

This is all due to the carcass class assigned to the monster. Hey Nels, didn't you have a fix for this in your MH mod (IIRC)? If it wasn't him then I have the answer stashed away, I'll dig it up.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

When is about these customized things not everyone is listening. Some time ago I was explaining that a "custom" monster from a map needs also a custom carcass - at least a MyLevel-ed one.
The problem of default carcass is that it does not take in account Multiskins and little things. If a monster as "Mullog" dies carcass is borked because Multiskins is NONE - read well, that crap is not ready. A package with a Monster skinned or a map done with monsters different skinned should have their own carcass, by only skinning monsters job is not done, and me one I'm not interested to share such messed up things and neither to use them - is 2017 at final stage from 21th century not 1999 at 3 days from releasing the game. Skaarj which I embedded in my crapped maps don't include bugs at this point because they uses SKIN not Multiskins. Pawn dies - looks normal - it won't change cadaver falling on ground.
Mullog from map Tikamungo whatever has a carcass taking this in account - but it has other trash stuff guessing based, one fixed three damaged.

Some MH2 of mine uses another carcass type - it was also tweaking it more simple and not using PlayerCanseMe() queries - there is an UScript solution which amazingly doesn't crash anything. Hey, perhaps I should fix CreatureCarcass directly - good reminder.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:This is all due to the carcass class assigned to the monster. Hey Nels, didn't you have a fix for this in your MH mod (IIRC)? If it wasn't him then I have the answer stashed away, I'll dig it up.
One of the links at this link · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/74171.html · explains how to do it, because I went hunting for the answer years ago for a specific map edit I was doing.

With the Warlords I've since found easier ways to deal with it, like their built in ability to teleport out when their health is so low... though I can't use it with the UTDMWarlord because once it teleports out, it won't teleport back in. It disappears right off its own team list.

Given it respawns with its team skin, it's less an issue for me in this instance.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

This topic reminds me that I am terrible with making textures for models. I can have 2D UV guidelines, but I need to know where each small piece goes, which sometimes sucks. Blender's texture paint mode sucks too.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote:This topic reminds me that I am terrible with making textures for models. I can have 2D UV guidelines, but I need to know where each small piece goes, which sometimes sucks. Blender's texture paint mode sucks too.
I tend to paint them on as is, and I'm familiar enough with those skins I edit to know where each piece goes.

Warlords are like most Unreal1 monsters a single texture for the whole thing. By using transparencies I can edit out all elements except for armor (still a work in progress) and then team color that armor to then re-paste on the existing skin. The white sections are the transparent, and once re-pasted will put back what was removed.

I don't use conventional skinning tools, I'm self taught with basic Windows programs.
Attachments
NewWarlordedit.png
NewWarlordedit.png (76.08 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

UnrealGGecko wrote:If ya want I might try to ask THUNDERBOLT about those skins, since he's still pretty active at destinationUnreal. :wink:

Not anymore. He publicly announced it to the forum a while ago and told me personally too. He's into busy times ( Home /Work / other stuff? )

http://destinationunreal.com/modules.ph ... pic&t=1059

He is around from time to time, but don't expect him to be very active at them moment.

But send a pm to , always worth the shot.
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

All needs is creating a custom Carcass taking in account Multiskins, OR a monster having some changes in that function "SpawnCarcass" or such. There is no Rocket Science.
Monster dies, spawn carcass, quickly copy Multiskins if they exist - now skins are transferred to carcass with no issues.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Terraniux wrote:
UnrealGGecko wrote:If ya want I might try to ask THUNDERBOLT about those skins, since he's still pretty active at destinationUnreal. :wink:
Not anymore. He publicly announced it to the forum a while ago and told me personally too. He's into busy times
Already covered, that was an old post. I got his permission but the map I tried do get them from had some kind of security so it can't be accessed in UnrealEd.

Not easily anyway.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:had some kind of security so it can't be accessed in UnrealEd.
Which one ? Comatose somehow ? That one might crash client due to "security" used. That security is called BUG, that's all...
Edit:
Wait I recall another "security". It was in 2010 when some map loaded was simply make server stuck - not crashing - totally without response, so to speak doing damage by making it useless. That was probably another "protection" ? :lol2:. By looking over some packages I could see Script VS Class mismatch - but happily released to public. What protections are we talking about ?
Do not make me to speak more about these fake "protections" because these have another real term.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:had some kind of security so it can't be accessed in UnrealEd.
Which one ? Comatose somehow ? That one might crash client due to "security" used. That security is called BUG, that's all...
Map was MH-UnrealWorld (screenshots of it on the 2nd page of this thread) and I opened it in UnrealEd but nothing came up.

Map played fine but it's like UE couldn't see it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, I'll go to figure what's the deal...
Edit: Map which I see just opens properly - else I have the Rock.utx texture without "bytematerial" sh!t, because I'm not using garbage texture coming with map package and messing together with Rock.umx with the same name - I have my tweaked UTX files.

If you want something from that map I'll copy that stuff into a simple cube without borks.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:If you want something from that map I'll copy that stuff into a simple cube without borks.
Texture files for the monsters therein, please!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I couldn't export everything because it looks like some those textures have some "special" properties - so to speak experiments. But I could throw out all MyLevel ones into another texture which can be re-imported in other MyLevel - probably with the same problems. This is the extract - not all of them can be dropped out as PCX that's why I used this way. Here is archive with content from that map, monsters + other things:
[attachment=0]TB_mLevel.7z[/attachment]

If you cannot modify all of them it's because of their original "importing" way - I don't know what's the deal because my textures were always working, these are... less usual or so to speak less useful, I did not screwed any of their properties which Editor has loaded just creating other package.
To mention here that some of them are looking good, worth to be used - I mean those good ones.
Attachments
TB_mLevel.7z
(3.84 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Thanks sektor, that was perfect.