CMC contest... deadline extension?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

A lot of maps dropped out, should there be a deadline extension?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 am

Yes, an extra week, no penalty.
17%
Yes, an extra week, but with a -1 or -2 point penalty.
25%
No. (they can still submit for the mappack, but they won't be eligible for the prizes)
58%

Total votes: 12

sektor2111
Godlike

Re: CMC contest... deadline extension?

Post by sektor2111 »

All time needed for making a 4096 UU map under 6 moths of course (even less) - TESTED, Net and Bot ready as described - and BSP error free. If not = PENALTY.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Sure, a little more time... if for no other reason than to avoid that creepy guy in the hockey mask.
Attachments
boogarou-jason-vorhees-22361.png
boogarou-jason-vorhees-22361.png (54.75 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

I think it would be beneficial to extend the deadline. This is all in good sports :wink:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

What's the point in having contest rules if they only get changed at the last minute? That's bullshit and ruins the entire concept of even having a contest by doing that. Everyone had an equal opportunity. Paper and I worked through a weekend that should have been spent with our respective families so we could make the deadline and now we just move the finish line because other people chose not to commit as much effort over the same time?

Consider me withdrawing if you change the deadline. We both worked WAY too hard to meet it. I had to post our work with no bot support so we could get in under the wire. We cut items from the project. Now it's up and people already have it to play. We followed the "rules".

(Last day no-penalty extension....who in the fuck really considers that a good idea? SMH...)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

All these strong pros and contras flyin' 'round.
Kelly may be right. :/ Time was somethin' we should've count with
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Voted no, deadline is deadline. I agree with Jack. I also putted ALOT of things aside to make it to the deadline.

If this deadline gets extended, It really pisses me off.
This member can only post when permitted.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

JackGriffin wrote:What's the point in having contest rules if they only get changed at the last minute? That's bullshit and ruins the entire concept of even having a contest by doing that. Everyone had an equal opportunity ... (Last day no-penalty extension....who in the fuck really considers that a good idea? SMH...)
That's right of course - part of the challenge in the contest is the time element. To extend the deadline on the last day is really a slap in the face for those contestants who worked hard and may have cut corners to get their maps in on time.

Those not making the deadline should be permitted to submit their maps for inclusion in the final map pack - along with 'fixed', bug free versions of already submitted maps. Sektor2111's proposed Chaos fix notwithstanding, most of the submitted maps have issues - in part, to do with Chaos ammo placement.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

While I would personally gain a lot by having the extra time, it's exactly how JackGriffin said.

Certainly, some more maps would probably be able to make it, and existing ones could potentially become a bit more fleshed out, but most of them wouldn't still make it in time (it's been proven time and time again), and at the end of the day this is a contest, albeit a friendly community one, but it has a deadline and everyone had equal opportunity to sort their shit out so they could deliver something by the deadline.

I know, as good as anyone else, how RL can be a bitch to fuck up your schedule and your ability to submit something, but that doesn't invalidate deadlines and the fact that there were those who had to go the extra mile to be able to release something makes any extension to be in bad taste, to not mention those who didn't even start anything due to the deadline.
For instance, I have been sleeping less during this week, and didn't anything else in my free time to be able to make it, even got earlier to work to leave earlier as well, so that I still had some good brain hours left before it started to scream at me to rest. Everything was going great, but some stuff out of my control happened which fucked up my own schedule, but it's my own problem, not a problem of the community which would require an extension like this.

Furthermore, let's take a step back and see how this contest went: it was proposed weeks before it even started, after all rules were discussed and sorted out, the contest would only start another week or few weeks afterwards, and then everyone had exactly 6 weeks from there. This contest already lasted more than 2 months, if not 3 already in practice.
I personally proposed initially for the contest to end on the 14th, since it's a Saturday and ending it in a business day sucks a lot. But papercoffee set the date and no one else budged, so that's that, that's the deadline.

And personally, I did the extra effort as well on my side, a bit like JackGriffin did, and I don't really care about winning or anything, I did the extra effort because I want to submit a map as part of the contest and not just as an addon after the fact.
So if I manage to finish mine today, cool, if not, then that's that, and I will have to live with it, and the effort the others put into releasing something on time should not be penalized by extending it.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Very well, then let the contest go as it was, no extensions. I am out of this contest. It's just that I wasn't able to find free time and complete my map.

Good job to rest of the participants for their efforts of completing the map.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Uhg... I am split on this. On the one hand more time MIGHT allow for more maps but on the other hand you WILL screw over the people who worked their asses off.
Gopo has some VERY valid points on the matter IMO.

As for myself, I would gain a lot from an extra week but then what is the point of having a deadline at all? I was planning to finish the map regardless of the contest deadline so eh.

IF the deadline gets moved I think it should at a -2 or even a -4 point penalty, people who uploaded a working map get the chance to update without penalty.
I'm completely okay with maps being added to the pack but they don't get prizes rules are rules after all.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

memsys wrote: IF the deadline gets moved I think it should at a -2 or even a -4 point penalty, people who uploaded a working map get the chance to update without penalty.
This creates a loophole however which even I could take advantage of. I could "release" a "working" map for all intents and purposes before the deadline, with missing stuff and some bugs on purpose, then keep working on it to add the remaining stuff and fix everything up as planned, while the others can no longer modify their map that much since it wasn't planned, so they would be left at a disadvantage.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Spectra wrote:Very well, then let the contest go as it was, no extensions. I am out of this contest. It's just that I wasn't able to find free time and complete my map.

Good job to rest of the participants for their efforts of completing the map.
Thanks, we understand.

But however, you mind posting what you got anyway? This week or later?
Since you are a participant, you have the right to include yours to pack in whatever state it is.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote:rules are rules after all.
^This.
We ALL agreed upon the deadline ...even so it was for me also symbolic... hello?? Friday the 13th?! What better date to end a Chaos mapping contest can you imagine?
I say NO to a deadline extension.
Of course could gopostal and me use this extra time to tackle the bot-path problem. But it would take much, much MUCH more time to solve this, because of the nature of the AI.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to know your thoughts. I voted a no extension as well.
Sorry if I pissed you off, just want to make it fair to people who missed the deadline, which were a lot this year. :sad2: