Nuclear Races

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Nuclear Races

Post by nogardilaref »

I remember this mod, and I was really looking forward to it, specially with guys like Madis doing at least some maps for it which were looking quite spectacular.
But then SLV itself died down, which contributed a lot for this mod to never get the kick start it needed I believe.
Blade hunter
Average
Personal rank: Mod Dude

Post by Blade hunter »

If you can post them at moddb even as a "partial" release people would be happy.
I found a few alphas to certain mods and put them anyways, not that they are complete, but are good for testing and experiencing something...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I don't know man....that's not such a good idea. I got permission to work on it but posting the mod if it's not your work isn't something that should be undertaken lightly. It will really upset some devs if they get their names tied with an incomplete or broken project that they just haven't finished. Some people would get really bent to see their unfinished stuff posted.

You should ask Rex directly before you do anything. He's a super nice dude and he will for sure answer an email. At least reach out to him and see how he feels about it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Blade hunter
Average
Personal rank: Mod Dude

Post by Blade hunter »

I never thought about that sort of viewpoint, but still I would like to be hopeful regarding this ...
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

We had a couple of mappers like Madis, Rex and me for creating maps and we had a bunch like 8 or something.
Maps weren't the problem. Some bugs in the code were, that's why it wasn't released (like the scoreboard and some weird accidental slv launch which caused spam).
And now that SLV is dead and the servers are down as well... there's not so much sense in releasing it anyway. It was supposed to give SLV and extra boost in interest, but UT in general is suffering population decline. :(
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Metalfist wrote:[...] but UT in general is suffering population decline. :(
Actually... I also thought that to be the case until a good while back when I checked actual numbers:
http://steamcharts.com/app/13240
and yes, these are from Steam, and so there are actually more players playing the game than that, and not necessarily online either.

However, it shows that although it's a very low population, the overall player count has been rather stable throughout the latest 5 years (if you go that far in the chart).
And with UT4 with an uncertain future as of now, whoever wants to play UT will generally try out the classic one, and there are new players on Steam posting on the forums over there simply about the problems everyone already knows about (game too fast, mouse smoothing, bad renderer, etc).

If these problems become non-issues someday (as in, getting everything up and running with a single patch for example), these are new players which might actually stick around and increase the population a bit over time.
This doesn't mean UT would "revive" or anything, it just means that it's not in as a bad shape as you may think, at least for the time being.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Whatever glitches this incomplete mod may have, from what I understand the maps are on point... so I'd like to revisit an old idea I had a stretch back.

Saw on OldUnreal today JackGriffin is gonna be going coop again · http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1508102425

I say he try to use the maps from this and use coop to have players as the various flying Unreal1 monsters race on those!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Quick follow up...I'm setting up a home cloud server and I'm condensing a stack of backup HDD's. A couple of minutes ago I found both the server files as well as the redirect for the Nuclear races test server I was running. If anyone wants it let me know (assuming metalfist says OK to it). It runs and plays, we were able to test with multiple people online. Might be a way to stir interest..
So long, and thanks for all the fish
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Gonna necro this thread, but whatever.

I'm in the process of recovering all my old NR map files, converting to blender workflow and finish all the unfinished projects. The mod was abandoned by GF-Rex, but back in 2015 when I last talked to him, he was willing to let someone else give it finishing touches. As far as I recall, it had some minor issues between changing maps (mutator configuration messing up, particularly unloading the SLV mutator), so if anyone is interested in adopting it, PM me. It's probably not impossible to get a hold of GF-Rex and ask him permission to finish it.

I'll finish the maps regardless and post updates every couple of weeks.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

[did]Madis wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:18 pm Gonna necro this thread, but whatever.

I'm in the process of recovering all my old NR map files, converting to blender workflow and finish all the unfinished projects. The mod was abandoned by GF-Rex, but back in 2015 when I last talked to him, he was willing to let someone else give it finishing touches. As far as I recall, it had some minor issues between changing maps (mutator configuration messing up, particularly unloading the SLV mutator), so if anyone is interested in adopting it, PM me. It's probably not impossible to get a hold of GF-Rex and ask him permission to finish it.

I'll finish the maps regardless and post updates every couple of weeks.
The gametype is currently properly calling the mapvote at the EndGame stage :tu: (thanks to buggie!)
Loads of fun on the FragNights!
Hope you still got the motivation for these maps!