Anyone have a copy of Tarquin's Extruder Builder Tutorial?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Anyone have a copy of Tarquin's Extruder Builder Tutorial?

Post by fudgonaut »

I'm trying to make a curved brush that needs a little more control than extruding with the 2d shape editor. I've downloaded & installed Tarquin's extruder builder, but without some context I'm finding it difficult to figure out. I can't find any tutorials on its usage. Does anyone have a copy of the info from the dead pages: http://www.planetunreal.com/pack.extrude.html or http://hellkeeper.net/tutoriaux/Tarquin ... ush-en.php ?

Thanks for your time!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Anyone have a copy of Tarquin's Extruder Builder Tutoria

Post by papercoffee »

I tried to find a tutorial myself but either there is every information lost or I'm too dumb and don't know what to search exactly. :ironic:
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Fantastic, I will pore over this tonight.

Thank you Spectra!
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Seee ... I'm too dumb.
Wait, hellkeeper.net is down?
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

I’ve been playing with Tarquin’s extruder builder and it is fantastic. I’m far from mastering it, but I got down the basics after I developed a small workflow to build parallel curved brushes. I created a text file to save my ShapePoints and PathPoints. Then I replicated the PathPoints with different ShapePoints to produce perfectly aligned brushes (see attached prototype screenshot).

This got me thinking about larger workflow questions. I’m only just playing with UEd2.0 now (17 years after the fact), and trying to figure out an organizational process for mapmaking. I know some basic principles:
  • Sketching the map layout
  • Whiteboxing the layout*
  • Adding ighting, actors, etc.*
  • *Test, re-test, and then test again.
But I’m wondering about finer points along the process:
  • To me it makes sense to branch prototyped map elements (brushes, etc) into separate .unr files and – once tested & confirmed – import/migrate those elements into the principle (I hesitate to use the word ‘final’) map.
  • It also makes sense to me to set up work folders and a file/folder taxonomy to keep everything organized.
  • I’m betting there are many more workflow optimization techniques.
I've searched for UT99 methodologies for the mapping process, I just haven’t found any documentation specific to UEd2.0 workflow.

It would be cool to aggregate workflow strategies into a checklist/cheat sheet.

Has this already been covered in a previous thread? Is it worth starting a ‘Mapping Workflow Pro-Tips’ thread? Would any pro mappers be willing to share their process?
Attachments
tarquin-madness.jpg
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Would any pro mappers be willing to share their process?
I'm willing.

The way I usually make my map is making only ' proceeding ' roads. Like my CrystalMine Series.

There are a few ' crossroads' but in the greater perspective, they never get lost. So my tip is , look at the traffic around you in real life.
What issues are you experiencing yourself, when in unknown location, in a unknown land, without ANY form of navigation.
Seeing this sign, often is a relief.

There should be a VERY CLEAR BORDER between ' exploration maps ' and 'Proceeding maps'.
This member can only post when permitted.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Honestly the workflow is never so crazy as to need to be separated if you are just talking about building the map proper. By the time you need to consider your process and segmenting it you'll already be butting up against the limits of this old engine. Take your screenshot for example, it's really nice but if you go too crazy you are going to get hall-of-mirror'ed back into reality quite quickly.

You'll much more need to compartmentalize triggers, events and tags, stuff like that. It's shocking how fast triggered actor strings can get dense and complex.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote: Wait, hellkeeper.net is down?
I've been down for monthes, slowly in the process of getting the site back online.
No idea how long it will still take. No data has been lost though, all tutorials will be back.
You must construct additional pylons.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

A small update after all this time:
I had critical server issues about a year ago, the website has been down since then. A few months ago, I got most of it back except the database containing all the news and a few things used by the website to function, so I put the site back online but the index page was still black. At least I could upload files and pictures to the server and point to tutorials and written articles on the website, the only drawback being that most of the menu links were broken.
Since I just released Hightitude, I decided to build a makeshift index page. The website is now fully working and available once again, you can even read the Tarquin EBB tutorial. The database is still dead but should be recovered in the future. In the mean time, I'm maintaining it by hand.

http://hellkeeper.net/
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Yay! saved the link :mrgreen:
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Re: Anyone have a copy of Tarquin's Extruder Builder Tutorial?

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Does anyone have a video tutorial for using the Tarquin's extruded brush builder? I have tried Hellkeepers tut and it's too complex for me. I'm trying to add some hollow tubes for plumbing and can not seem to figure it out. I would like the shape source to be circles to create the hollow tube. Not sure if I need to use SharePoints or PathPoints and what the coordinates should be for XYZ.I'm more of a visual learning person and need to see it completed a fee times before I can figure it out. Not sure if anyone is willing to create a video or not.
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:20 pm Does anyone have a video tutorial for using the Tarquin's extruded brush builder? I have tried Hellkeepers tut and it's too complex for me. I'm trying to add some hollow tubes for plumbing and can not seem to figure it out.
I've just learned it myself so I cannot dive deep into it. But its quite simple basically. The trick is to use the value PathFactor as multiplier for the values you are entering into the PathPoints (ignore Shape Points for the moment).
If you enter 256 into Path Factor and define path like this:
[0] = 0,0,0
[1] = 1,0,0
[2] = 1,2,0
[3] = 0,2,0

Now set ClosedPath = true (to close the square trim you are about to create) and ShapeFacor to 16 (the width of the trim) and press Build.
You'll see that you got a trim with a width of 512 units and a length of 256. (or the other way round)

If you now change PathFacor to 128 you notice, that the square trim is reduced in size to 256 * 128 Units. Pretty straight forward.
After you understand the basics the rest is really almost intuitive.
I wish I had looked earlier into the powerful brush builder tool!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

McFrag wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:20 pm
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:20 pm Does anyone have a video tutorial for using the Tarquin's extruded brush builder? I have tried Hellkeepers tut and it's too complex for me. I'm trying to add some hollow tubes for plumbing and can not seem to figure it out.
I've just learned it myself so I cannot dive deep into it. But its quite simple basically. The trick is to use the value PathFactor as multiplier for the values you are entering into the PathPoints (ignore Shape Points for the moment).
If you enter 256 into Path Factor and define path like this:
[0] = 0,0,0
[1] = 1,0,0
[2] = 1,2,0
[3] = 0,2,0

Now set ClosedPath = true (to close the square trim you are about to create) and ShapeFacor to 16 (the width of the trim) and press Build.
You'll see that you got a trim with a width of 512 units and a length of 256. (or the other way round)

If you now change PathFacor to 128 you notice, that the square trim is reduced in size to 256 * 128 Units. Pretty straight forward.
After you understand the basics the rest is really almost intuitive.
I wish I had looked earlier into the powerful brush builder tool!
Thank you, I appreciate your response! I followed what you stated above and received the results you explained. However, I do not understand the coordinates/PathPoints
[0] = 0,0,0
[1] = 1,0,0
[2] = 1,2,0
[3] = 0,2,0
And how it translates to the shape of the brush. By changing some settings around I was able to create a hollow tube, which I've wanted to do for some time now. I will have to keep messing around with it. I want a 90°tube like in Halls Of Giants. But its way to large for what I need.
Last edited by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

I guess you've made yourself familiar with this tutorial:
http://hellkeeper.net/tutoriaux/Tarquin ... ush-en.php

IF you look into chapter 2 on the first screenshot you see a grid with a red square and some coordinates. This is basically how it works.
Maybe it is more intuitive if you change the PathFacor to 1 and set the coordinates to values which resemble the units. (The PathFactor is just a multiplier after all)
With this example you should get the same result as before but the impact of how the values match into the unit UED coordinates becomes more transparent:
PathFacor = 1
[0] = 0,0,0
[1] = 256,0,0
[2] = 256,512,0
[3] = 0,512,0

This will generate you a trim of 256*512 Units (this also depends on the the width of the trim which you've setup with ShapeFactor. (Use 16 for the example)

If you want this trim to be bulky try changing the ShapeFactor to 64.