[Solved] Change phrases on UT

Discussions about UT99
buby
Average

[Solved] Change phrases on UT

Post by buby »

Hi guys, need an help ti fond out where is possible to change phrases in UT99 (GOTY).
I would like to change some phrases in other like "welcome" or other.

Thanks
Last edited by buby on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Change phrases on UT

Post by nogardilaref »

Well, generally this is done through localization files I believe, but it depends on what you want to change, and how do you want to change it, and what kind of effect you are pursuing.

In other words:
1 - Which ones do you want to change exactly? Could you give a few specific examples?
2 - Do you want to simply change them, or do you actually want to translate them to another language?
3 - Do you want to change them only for yourself, or do you mean that you have a server and intend to change them for everyone who connects to it?
buby
Average

Post by buby »

nogardilaref wrote:Well, generally this is done through localization files I believe, but it depends on what you want to change, and how do you want to change it, and what kind of effect you are pursuing.

In other words:
1 - Which ones do you want to change exactly? Could you give a few specific examples?
2 - Do you want to simply change them, or do you actually want to translate them to another language?
3 - Do you want to change them only for yourself, or do you mean that you have a server and intend to change them for everyone who connects to it?
Thank you for your support.
Well, I just want to change some phrases like I have wrote above, for istance "Hello", "welcome", and something like that. These phrases should be translated in english because my UT (GOTY) version is in italian and should be working over all in multiplayer.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Oh, so you have the game in Italian, and you just want to use English instead, is that it? Or did I misunderstand?
Even because I don't recall those messages being in the game at all, except in multiplayer, but those are generally mods which do that from the server.

If that's so, I think you just need to open the UnrealTournament.ini file (located in System), and go to the "[Engine.Engine]" section, and in there you should find an entry called Language.
You probably have it set like Language=it or Language=ita right now, so all you need to do is to change it to Language=int, and once you start the game you should see it in English. :)
buby
Average

Post by buby »

nogardilaref wrote:Oh, so you have the game in Italian, and you just want to use English instead, is that it? Or did I misunderstand?
Well, my wish is to use some english world when playing in multilayer, cause many player are english mother language.
Even because I don't recall those messages being in the game at all, except in multilayer, but those are generally mods which do that from the server.
Really? I noticed that many users have their proper way to message to the group while they are playing. Many of them have assigned a special key on the keyboard for the text and for that reason I have noticed that in UT, when you want to assign a particular phrase to a key, you have to chose the phrase that are preset. I want to change these phrases.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Ah, I see it now, then you mean actual message key binds.
They don't have to necessarily be bound to existing messages, you can indeed define your own messages, although custom messages won't have any voicing over associated with it.

You can do it in different ways, but perhaps the easiest one is to bind the key through the console, like this:
set input <key> say <message>

For example:
set input numpad1 say Welcome!

This sets the numeric pad 1 key to say "Welcome!" in the chat.
You can use the console with Tab.
buby
Average

Post by buby »

Ok, then I will going to try!

Are this setting permanent or have I to set every time I enter in the game?
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

It's permanent, therefore you only need to set it once. :)
buby
Average

Post by buby »

nogardilaref wrote:It's permanent, therefore you only need to set it once. :)
Thank you, it works!
But let me know where I can learn the trick you have told me.

Thanks
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Well, it's just a console command, and you can check plenty of them here:
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UT_Console

All commands are case-insensitive, so "SET" and "set", and even "Set" and "seT" are the exact same command.

This command in particular is very simple to break down:
SET INPUT <key> <command>

This sets the input at the given key to execute a specific command, any command at all, and in this case since you wanted to bind a message to the a key, the command to send a message to the chat is:
SAY <message>

And that's why in the end the whole command is something like:
SET INPUT <key> SAY <message>

As for an actual reference about this one in particular, I am not sure where you can find it, I just happen to have learned it many years ago from other people.

Adding to this however, you can bind keys not only through the console, but also through a .ini file: in your System directory (in your game install), there's a file called User.ini, and if you check out the [Engine.Input] section, you can see all the commands bound to each key, and you will also notice that every single key you have in the game is actually corresponding to a particular command, and you can also bind multiple commands to the same key using a pipe ( | ) character, besides doing other neat tricks such as preceding the command with "OnRelease " to say that the command should only be called if you release the key rather than pressing it.
buby
Average

Post by buby »

:D
Nice information...but the link appears to be unreachable.
nogardilaref
Masterful

Re: [Solved] Change phrases on UT

Post by nogardilaref »

Yeah, the wiki seems to be very unstable lately.

Upon a quick search, you can also check them here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1419
Although it's not as neatly formatted as in the wiki. :wink: