Map Edit for anybody

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Map Edit for anybody

Post by Red_Fist »

Trying to find a program to make cube maps.

I installed UT2004 but I have to read how to make them again, I had to create the picts making screenshots in-game, now that I think about it, but that was for a water reflection, I remember now. The map I was doing, very small but OK, had a 40 foot-ish big puddle more than deep, got the reflection from my own cubemap, worked really good.

But there are other things I want or like to use from UT2004 in the editor, very useful .,,been a while so I have to read up on the cubemap thing again and working the editor again.

UT2004 is my poor mans Maya or 3DSmax, :wink: :lol: But HEY, !!! it makes great brushes and no import-export hassles.

But isn't there some stand alone program for making cubemaps, or just sides flat layout ? for skybox
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Bump

Still working on it, found out he stacked subtracts for a room (all rooms) to make trim, so I got rid of all those.
Not a killer problem normally but this whole map is one large open room and the extra polys are just too damn extra.
Working on the basic bot functions to play the map, map setup with only a few counters and things for basic workings.

Got all the movers done, and a bunch of other problems.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Anyone know how much stuff you can put in MyLevel before things get weird ? plus the map will have a lot of actors in it, not all from MyLevel.

I think I am at about the 6 meg mark for MyLevel.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't now the real limit. The problem is if packages are borked then you can fail even having 1 MB of MyLevel data. For adding stuff in MyLevel it must be checked before, else it won't be any MyLevel for resources, it will still cause other dependencies.
One of my maps was about to fail because of some linked sound which did not exist in map but a pawn from map was referring to that (yeah, Edy Goblin knows how to ruin your work at this point)- using another map for resource, not a great one... Each time Editor was getting vanished at opening my map. It was wierd, I waste around 6 hours to figure what I can do, I was closer to delete the whole work...
So to speak about limits you have a lot of options but take care what are you using.
Sample of failure:
Custom Pawn with Custom skin in map A. In Map B (your map) you won't add custom pawn but you mention it is some CreatureFactory. Result: you have chances to see that Pawn spawned with some wierd skin when you play map B.
Solution: reimport skin-texture, add pawn in map temporary for checking how do it looks like and then removing it and saving map... this way seems to create dependencies with that skin from MyLevel and it won't be lost - or just drop skin on something hidden in other zone not for game (they have lodset-world anyway) - the purpose is to keep that texture in dependencies. Of course, checking it's always recommended before any release...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes I am getting the skin texture problem, sound problem, and carcass problem. after importing to a MyLevel box map.

I edited out the sound in the code and changed the carcass both to a stock item.
The same pawn, that I had a good texture, was before I got the sound fixed, now my new one has the bad skin. I imported good ones to MyLevel but did not fix it this time, so I did something out of order.

That was the Chrysalid.u pawn.

The other pawns I believe is the sound problem is the Scorpion.u and the wingedTerror.u they type in the exec for sounds so that code needs to be changed to get rid of them sounds. I probably won't use them now anyway, I think I have a pretty good pawn assortment.

And if that MH guy didn't delete the friggen code would make life better, it's so makes things bad for MH mapping. :mad2:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I had once a dumb idea to import a pigeon, it was including a sample picture when it was used in a map. Something went bad and Editor crashed. I think it was for the latest Unreal not for UT, even if almighty title from that download place said something like UnrealTournament related stuff or such.

For sure at importing pawn with an external texture file that one perhaps will need some slopes - importing it first or importing pawn and then importing an exported texture, it depends on situation, or dealing with texture first - all in a test Cube or else you can screw up map.
Red_Fist wrote: And if that MH guy didn't delete the friggen code would make life better, it's so makes things bad for MH mapping. :mad2:
That's not a problem, MH for coders allows everything as an alternate method, and other one is to not use nothing from MH yet until stuff from map is ready.
My stages are like that:
- geometry and their textures;
- new creatures - any lousy elephant, cow, eagle or a flying fart can be compiled WITHOUT MH loaded;
- paths;
- MH things - yeah, this is The Last - understand what you want from string "last";
- Testing.
If some testing suddenly go to a failure = reloading another MH for coders (command linked on desktop) fixing, going back to original MH (also command on desktop) and re-testing Level.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I got the skin to work when it had the sound problem, now I got the new pawn back in with no sound problem but the texture problem.
Not sure what order I did things to get the texture on my last try,, aaaaaaaarg

I bet I can open that map, then open my mew map and see if it fixes the texture for an easy fix.

But that old map I have to load my old box map first. then the MH with the sound problem will open. THEN open my good map.

EDIT
Didn't work, to many things going on, I probably will just have to redo the import with the fixed pawn and then re-fix the texture.

EDIT again

I got it, not quite sure how, but once I got the good textures in, the pawn was invisible, or it just wasn't placable I did an undo anyway, but I went into the pawn mesh and cleared it ,I stayed on that line and cleared it, went to meshes and hit the mesh again.
Then I placed the pawn, and don't have any bad texture now, in MyLevel.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I basically have this done, but the gameplay was like ,every area was the same type of fights.

So I am going to shuffle my plans so that the map gets harder the closer to the end you get,
Still a bit of work, a lot of properties editing.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

wow this was weird.

There is some castle type building and I put a skaarj sniper in one of the notches in the top. was fine, I also have 3 block monsters to keep him there.

So I added a few more, the slot they go in is small and they wouldn't place, but I put them in anyway and checked the collision so they wern't hitting the sides. And I put 3 block monsters for each new sniper.

But when you play the map it said iterations beyond 10000000 and Monsterhunt.gametype playerstart :0238 and it crashed back to the editor.

I thought it was some new tree decos I placed and threw me off.

Then I thought about when I added the extra snipers.
Each set of block monsters and the sniper would not delete and it said there was two not one.

I did a "duplicate" on one skaarj sniper and it created a huge long line of them I mean tons of them all in a line.
So I went back deleted 4 actors and the ones left wouldn't delete, so I moved them all to the ground, rebuilt the map, and they disappeared.
Now my map works again.

So I don't know how I made that duplicate with the fake duplicate, but maybe that small space did something to make them force a duplicate but the original is stuck in a space.
And that is why I got a "playerstart" complaint, NOT from actual playerstarts but the one they use for a skaarjsniper.
Plus it effected the block monsters in the same way.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Getting there, not to sure how this will end up play-wise, or if it will crash servers, :P
Kajgue
Novice
Personal rank: SEX MACHINE

Post by Kajgue »

That original reference (from whatever game it's from, didn't see where the game name was mentioned) looks like it was inspired by Lincolnshire Cathederal, a banging place situated in north east England.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Monster doesn't use Playerstart as player does (errors are from bIsplayer addressed by BotPack's shit codes nothing is bad in map as it is in Botpack) moster deals with a PlayerStart only for Navigation purposes. It uses Ambushpoint as a matter of fact - randomized properly and it fails weapon in the most of cases being moved and leaving weapon there. I have added Skaarj in Level or VIA CreatureFactory without any need for any PlayerStart at monster spot, that's PLAYER start not Monster start. I never recall any occurrence from a map with Skaarj where monster has been brought to Players when map was started, monster is located where mapper dictates except Ambush cases (which the majority of MH mappers doesn't know).

Trivia: MH504 doesn't report anything about PlayerStart and neither XC_MonsterHunt so there is nothing wrong with map unless you mess it on purpose, if something is reporting crap, that is the BOT-PACK by itself which has no deal with Player-NonPlayer known as Skaarj.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The log said "playerstart" and it was a stock skaarj sniper. there was no playerstart for it, they were Placed pawns.
Kajgue wrote:That original reference (from whatever game it's from, didn't see where the game name was mentioned) looks like it was inspired by Lincolnshire Cathederal, a banging place situated in north east England.
It says it's, Lineage2 Game. and that screenshot is all I know about that game.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:The log said "playerstart" and it was a stock skaarj sniper. there was no playerstart for it, they were Placed pawns.
ENTIRELY WRONG. SkaarjSNIPER doesn't even use PLAYERSTART, check all maps with Skaarj from Shrimp, NO ONE has Skaarj at any PlayerStart locations.
Botpack is scanning for players according to team and wants bIsPlayer types. They are added in team-games according to team byte from PlayerReplicationInfo. THIS PlayerReplicationInfo doesn't exist at monsters so they are not in account at all except spreading Accessed Nones. The crap in log comes from accessing an unexistent PlayerReplicationInfo because geniuses from Epic have decided to do this pawn "bIsPlayer" - "//till have a weapon" (next year after Christmas) and this thing was messing up EVERY SINGLE pawnlist including in game ended stage at computing BEST not only when player spawns because YOU have triggered that error when BotPack has checked a spot for you, yes all bIsPlayer related iterators are doing sucks with Skaarj old MAPVOTELA types are included when a lost Skaarj is still unarmed at game ending stage.

Apart from these (history for me) problems, other game-types doesn't log nothing bad here, unless that playerstart is bugged at placement and cannot spawn any Player - so to speak it might be in void or in a blocker and that's why you cannot deal with it.
For sure solution is simple. A small mutator checker is doable for checking presence of some stuff spawned at playerstart. If area is bugged neither other things are not going to spawn there, and map has to be fixed.

The good thing: I vague recall some MA arena map rejecting player due to fascinating setup for some PlayerStart located in high spot through some storage and No player could spawn there. I think that can be fixed without editing map...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I see, and ya those skaarj snipers and their stupid gun they just leave laying around.

But the spot I forced them in was just too small, and it created those duplicate(s) said looping error too many iterations, and it was those snipers I placed. I still left the one that always worked there.

I think I will make a evilgrins version of this, and the normal version. :mrgreen: