Any way to get Unreal dynamics happen in UnrealEditor?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I guess the Editor probably lacks of calling events, I'm not sure about it, but as some know the editor is capable of executing scripts through BuilderBrush, I let it execute TakeDamage() on a Barrel, and it indeed broke, but only after I moved the camera and the WoodFragments were not moving(even if Velocity was set):
8OJutQHABBg
Isn't there a variable that starts the physics maybe? Or is it all hardcoded?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Any way to get Unreal dynamics happen in UnrealEditor?

Post by JackGriffin »

That's not surprising since it requires camera movement to update other changes in the viewport. You'd have a much better chance at getting real answers instead of guesses if you post at OldUnreal and ask Smirf or if you can run down Wormbo. The "why" of things like this is hidden for us mere uscript coders.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Reasons for having these ? Saving map with stuff already damaged - un-existent exploding barrels added and already destroyed? Any purpose on this ?
As I know so far Editor's purpose is for creating maps, to build things and not to play a map in Editor. :loool: Of course I wanna know what is doable for writing builders in different purposes... to know which natives can be accessed in Editor VIA UScript for advanced Editing, detecting BSP troubles in Editor without to be in game, etc.
So far I could generate codes for UC compiling, selecting a default static decoration, hit some build section, and copy from log content of a new class generated which can spawn in game, actually making life easier with sub-classing these into other packages and generally this is more helpful rather than destroying maps. So to speak, if this software is for EDITING then I went to expand this Editing for being helpful. Imagine that I was redecorating some area, I select decorations and then by hitting button every selected decoration will generate a script for spawning them in game in whatever case with location and rotation without to even compute nothing - Editor will write spawning script - this is how I use Editor in 2017 and not messing up with dynamic ruining map and saving it.
I did not share that builder yet, I'm thinking what anything else is doable and... some operation is specific for XC tweaking which default UT doesn't have... so to speak addressing a NavigationPoint and writing local iterator for it ready to get only patching instructions and not the whole stuff.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:Reasons for having these ? Saving map with stuff already damaged - un-existent exploding barrels added and already destroyed?
Rly? Do you really think I would want it just to blow up barrels?...
Anyway no one talked about saving, the reasons to do that are many, from testing(e.g. a BT map) to modifying stuff while doing other stuff(e.g. Procedural Brushes).
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OK, good luck with Editing...