MH GiranTown

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

MH GiranTown

Post by Red_Fist »

This is the map EvilGrins posted made by THUNDERBOLT in hope of making it into a working map.

This map I put a lot of the pawns not damage or fight each other. There is some AKCoop pawns that might not work
Also I am using deco that spawns pawns, Sekktor helped me and my awesome code (he fixed my mess)

hope it works, hope all the files are in the zip
and if it works, or for online.
See what happens
Anyone can use anything in the map, if you want to edit it, screwing with lighting will cause the editor to crash.
I fixed a crap load of things, and managed to get it less crashy, but beware.

It's a strange gameplay, not sure if I like it, however you might use some of these pawns or decos for other maps, but needs testing.
It works here, so ANY further editing , go ahead, I am done with it.
(other than I can repack it with the same file named zip if I missed a file.) so let me know if it loads , or not !!!!

Map is meant to be hard, so you might (will) die a lot, I wanted it hard to win.
The key to beating this map, is not be EvilGrins, NO CHEATING either. :P
You have to lure pawns out and not shoot up the place in order to not break the Deco.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... ldXb-m1iV4
Attachments
Shot0018.jpg
Shot0016.jpg
Shot0001.jpg
Shot0006.jpg
Shot0005.jpg
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: MH GiranTown

Post by sektor2111 »

Map looks definitely good...
However I don't know stuff used but...

Code: Select all

ScriptWarning: SkaarjPunisher MH-GiranTown.SkaarjPunisher0 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayWaiting:00E3) PlayAnim: Sequence 'ShldTest' not found in Mesh 'Skaarjw'
This is often.
Map says 1 player but has a bunch of playerstart actors.
I could figure Bot understanding mission to destroy barrels - you have used custom stuff so you could as for a "shooter", it's easy to do.
Some spot I'm guessing has problems:

Log: WoodBoxDrop139 fell out of the world!
Log: WoodBoxDrop1 MH-GiranTown.WoodBoxDrop139 moved without proper hashing
Log: N_mech MH-GiranTown.N_mech1 moved without proper hashing
Log: N_mech1 fell out of the world!
Log: BruteCarcass MH-GiranTown.BruteCarcass3 moved without proper hashing
Log: N_mech MH-GiranTown.N_mech1 moved without proper hashing
Log: BruteCarcass3 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1478 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1479 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1480 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1481 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1482 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1483 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1484 fell out of the world!
Log: CreatureChunks1485 fell out of the world!
At the moment I think I can patch it, I'll study all options...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The first one is it's calling for a mesh-skin that is wanting to use the skaarj trooper shield. Thought I fixed it OR it does it no matter what skaarj you change the skin on or something like that.
Seems maybe, I have two punishers in the map, could be those the settings ,I dunno I did way to many things.

I went through the whole thing of trying other skaarj and thought even the stock pawns (skaarj) had the same complaint unless I used a skaarj troper.

The other is the deco so close to the ground, after I fixed a bunch of them I forgot to recheck it. But the pawn affected is the deco it was in.

Not really sure when it comes to those carcasses. I had other non stock pawns that when I put them in mylevel, it was either a sound or the carcass and crashed bigtime. So I assigned a stock carcass and not the one that came with the pawn.

No there is no AI associated with shooting the barrels, or any other deco. with 16 bots on Adept, they take a long time to finish the map, but they eventually do. I wasn't concerned so much with bots other than they can and know to make it to the exit.

Like I said, if people want to edit this map, go right ahead, I am not sure of the balance, so I used 255 of each deco 9 different decos. So one could make a certain deco style have a certain pawn and make it harder and harder pawns to kill as the map progresses. But then there would be all decos of the same type in one area to the next.
OR
I put different pawns in different decos but used tougher pawns as you progress, so there wasn't the same deco all in one area.
But if someone makes another map, they can try and figure out the best strategic gameplay, so many variables , and is why I am done with it. Keep in mind how messed up this map was (BSP or other), the original, and that messed up skybox.

Oh, I only entered a "1" for the player amount, I was just going to leave it at zero. But I placed 16 playerstarts, and should be 17, if you run 16 bots, but I didn't want to mess with pathing.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Screenshots!! :mrgreen: ......I know, I'm a screenshot whore.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Oh dang, if the forum would accept a pic to post without using an external website, a total pain. Unless I don't know how to do it. or post some for me. ?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What do you mean?
You can upload up to 5 pictures.
Attachments
HowToUploadPic.png
Titanmeme.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Interesting and very different map - like the use of the decos - certainly challenging and fun - just played the opening stages so far - found a couple of these warnings in the log
Spoiler
ScriptWarning: Counter MH-GiranTown.Counter15 (Function Engine.Counter.Trigger:018E) Accessed None
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Oh, well LoL, usually forums force you to use external links, stupid me, I did use that for a file a couple of times and thought I was getting some special privilege :oops:

Ok thanks man, will do a few screenys :thuup:

--merge by UGGecko--

OjitroC wrote:Interesting and very different map - like the use of the decos - certainly challenging and fun - just played the opening stages so far - found a couple of these warnings in the log
Spoiler
ScriptWarning: Counter MH-GiranTown.Counter15 (Function Engine.Counter.Trigger:018E) Accessed None
THAT is Monsterhunt making it do that. I ran other maps and had the same thing, unless I have some system file screwage.

But I seen it, couldn't do a thing because everything was right, is just another counter nothing special at all.
That is why it lead me to check other maps.

I think it even gives the same hex address in other maps.,,, counters

dangit Red_Fist :wth:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:THAT is Monsterhunt making it do that. I ran other maps and had the same thing, unless I have some system file screwage.
NAH, it's Your deal with Counter, nothing to do with MonsterHunt - see the words exactly because are self-explanatory, pawn dying from environment (felt from map maybe) might break counter when this message is shown. Solution is a "NON-EPIC" counter, end of story. You'd better watch that Wodden139 thing and zone around... probably there are even other spots like that...
Next problem is the question if any of those pawns are not broken with their "event-died-killed" chain...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well if the counter is doing the same thing in other MH maps but not the other gametypes, MH code HAS to be at fault. you can't blame epic for that.
and the fact that it still counts and works, there is no "fix"

The other maps I tried with counters have no barrel deco, same thing as all the "access none" when a MH game starts, he (Shrimp) said it was supposed to do that.
Well I am done with that level. any new versions someone else can take the helm.

I wish I could have done the lighting better, and a way to block people from lobbing stuff over walls and not have to use invisible collision hulls. I wanted to make the top all one giant huge cloudzone, but is impractical here.

To address Barbie, I never tried your idea, yet, but spawning a whole deco group or any group, I wanted a more intransigent deco. So one has control over each individual deco actor so each deco can be assigned to any pawn. All though it might be more practical looking at it from a server point of view. thanks
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Just tried your map, but found that ThingFactory0 tries to spawn an UnrealShare.Lantern. Because that has bStatic=true, this does not work, and server's log is flooded with every second repeated message:
SpawnActor failed because class Lantern has bStatic or bNoDelete
ThingFactory0.jpg
ThingFactory0.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Furthermore I replaced your SkaarjPunisher (much too strong - players will leave the server if they die all 5 seconds) and also your TriggeredDeath at the fire place (similar reason).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Thank you for this good looking map!
I needed about 2 hours to solve it together with some more players. It does not crash.
The SkaarjPunishers are little bit overpowered but I like them.
The main problem is some log messages spams the file, about 30mb only for this map.
But in general i liked to play it, a nice idea with the akcoop style monster spawning.

Messages that spams the log file:

ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-GiranTown.MonsterHunt0 (Function MonsterHunt2Gold.MonsterHunt.Killed:016D) Accessed None
Log: N_mech19 fell out of the world!
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-GiranTown.MonsterHunt0 (Function MonsterHunt2Gold.MonsterHunt.Killed:016D) Accessed None
Log: N_mech20 fell out of the world!
Log: N_mech25 fell out of the world!
Log: N_mech19 fell out of the world!
Log: N_mech20 fell out of the world!
Log: N_mech25 fell out of the world!
And at the beginning I have many messages in log file like this:

ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-GiranTown.MonsterHunt0 (Function Botpack.TeamGamePlus.ReduceDamage:007D) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-GiranTown.MonsterHunt0 (Function MonsterHunt2Gold.MonsterHunt.ReduceDamage:0097) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-GiranTown.MonsterHunt0 (Function Botpack.TeamGamePlus.ReduceDamage:007D) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-GiranTown.MonsterHunt0 (Function MonsterHunt2Gold.MonsterHunt.ReduceDamage:0097) Accessed None
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote:found a couple of these warnings in the log
The reason for this is superficial coding in Decoration.Engine (here copied to MyLevel.BarDP) and Engine.Counter:

class BarDP expands Decoration;
function Destroyed() {
	if( Event != '' )
		foreach AllActors( class 'Actor', A, Event )
			A.Trigger( Self, None );
			// better: A.Trigger(Self, Instigator);
Finally the Counter15 gets triggered:

class Counter extends Triggers;
function Trigger( actor Other, pawn EventInstigator ) {
	EventInstigator.ClientMessage( S );
	// better: if (EventInstigator != None)
	//	EventInstigator.ClientMessage( S );
In this case EventInstigator is NONE and therefore a warning is issued.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ah crap, that lantern spawn thing should not be in the map, geez, I forgot what I was doing with that, probably just put that in for some test but had to use it as a place holder to get rid of a MyLevel pawn, geez LoL slap me up.

Yes the little skaarj I named Punisher, for a reason, nasty little critters. But these types of things were meant as an obstacle for SP map usage. Like trying to kill a titan and not disturb the deco at all costs.

Well I feel this is more a community map, I didn't make the BSP but fixed a pile of things long before I started adding actors., so I think if it needs to be fixed or changed (code) to make it right, just rename the new map. :thuup:

I didn't redo all the pawns, but the rocks from titans should not kill most other pawns, seemed to work.
At a last minute I changed the default projectile on the AK pawns, to stop pawn damage , but they will still attack other pawns, I just didn't want to work on the level that much longer so EVERY pawn worked like I wanted.

To keep the default AK projectiles I assigned them to a pawn or 3 or 4 just to keep AS-guards projectiles in the actor list.

Sorry Gecko
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:Well if the counter is doing the same thing in other MH maps but not the other gametypes, MH code HAS to be at fault. you can't blame epic for that.
Dude I have to ask if you have a logic or you are mad a while ? :omfg:
What else do you need to know ?
ENGINE.COUNTER is the class name not MonsterHunt.Counter - this is EPIC and Assault has FORTSTANDARD stationary pawn type. A stationary pawn doesn't really fall nowhere - BY DEFAULT. So Counter from whatever AS-Rook works because ALWAYS player destroy them. In MonsterHunt MAPPERS are counting monsters - even requested here (I denied that request anyway). Pupae or whatever Skaarj Dodging to death zone and counted will always do SHIT. Skaarj is Epic, Counter is EPIC, DeathZone is also EPIC. What any explanation do you need ? They do crap together based on MAP. Who made map ? We call them Mappers here as a matter of fact.
When a map has auto-hazard zone (BSP hole) that one might break at this counting chapter - READ WELL here it BREAKS and spam server.
Aside, while you are using Factory to spawn actor bStatic actors I wish you luck. Admins have to screw all server files based on such ideas ? Ahah, dream on... I always spoke about MyLevel - USE IT.
Aldebaran wrote:Messages that spams the log file:
You have to fix your MH mod here, me one I don't have such creations...