MH GiranTown

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: MH GiranTown

Post by Red_Fist »

No, I wasn't trying to spawn lanterns delete that damn thing. :lol: oops, yes I was.

The counter gets event from when a barrel breaks, not anything to do with pawns.
And a barrel and a counter are stock actors. yet AGAIN, gp look at logs with other maps, see for yourself :noidea

If I recall only some decos, when broken, create an event. I was going to recheck which ones, but since the barrel worked I didn't check.

I got to go find that stupid thing factory, so I can remember what the hell I was doing.

I know what I did, I just put that in so something would change in the room to clue people in about the secret. You have to walk by the wall to make it open if you were playing by yourself you would have to scrape every wall.
I never tested that since I got carried away with other things in the map. but there should be some indicator that something changed in that room so people look for a secret. I should have used a light I guess.

I thought a thing factory that is not supposed to use falling, could spawn any actor other than brushes.

A regular Barrel will spawn. change it to a barrel, just one
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Red_Fist wrote: Yes the little skaarj I named Punisher, for a reason, nasty little critters. But these types of things were meant as an obstacle for SP map usage.
They certainly are nasty but I have noticed that they do self-damage when firing their projectiles, at least the first few times they fire them anyway.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

When I mentioned that lousy ScriptedPawns might be hitting themselves some dude here said that he did not see such things, do tell him what you see, maybe he need another sort of glasses, I'm not the only one figuring these fascinating collisions... Arrow projectile is definitely hitting Skaarj instigator which can even die based on its own attack :sad2: .
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote:When I mentioned that lousy ScriptedPawns might be hitting themselves some dude here said that he did not see such things, do tell him what you see, maybe he need another sort of glasses, I'm not the only one figuring these fascinating collisions... Arrow projectile is definitely hitting Skaarj instigator which can even die based on its own attack :sad2: .
Yes, you're right, no doubt about it - MHud shows the heath of the Skaarj decrease as it fires (or attempts to fire) its projectile and, as I use MoreBlood as well, I can see blood spurts at the same time - and the Skaarj isn't taking damage from any other source.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

sektor2111 wrote:When I mentioned that lousy ScriptedPawns might be hitting themselves some dude here said that he did not see such things, do tell him what you see, maybe he need another sort of glasses, I'm not the only one figuring these fascinating collisions... Arrow projectile is definitely hitting Skaarj instigator which can even die based on its own attack :sad2: .
No, not all the pawns, or projectiles, I just got tired of working on it. I didn't mess with the queens or warlords possibly some skaarj , so it's not all done. But I wish someone would do them all, If they do, stick with the naming, "N_projectile--pawn. And then make a new .U with a complete set of projectiles and no fighting pawns. Plus I didn't think it was all that terrible so long as most of them work.
If they are hurting themselves ?, go check the code. I just had to keep track of too many things. So it could be wrong. and this is the most I ever tried to do code for a map.If the skaarj punisher is doing that wich pisses me off, but I did that pawn first before I tried to change the damage. So it's probably in the SkaarjProShot projectile class.

I wish someone could fix things up, since it is much harder for me to do code.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay man, don't run in panic, scenario here can be changed. You did a good job with design, the rest is... setup. Someday I'll drop some love here. Right now I'm checking something, probably I will do another MH map with things which I've acquired...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Off topic, but I posted a new DM in the "Report new downloads, Topic.
viewforum.php?f=3

DM-Mounds

I wish that topic was on the TOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no one sees it
And rename it or a new one, so we can post stuff we made, it should be on top.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Has the download at the start of the thread been updated?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

no, just play it.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,g-night
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:this is the most I ever tried to do code for a map.
I noticed that additional custom code has not been compiled in this map. This often leads to strange effects (at least on my server). Therefore I'm working on a fixed version now.

Maybe caused by this - not verified yet - the N_mech does not take damage and it is possible to view them by team view (seen on UM server); on my server some pawns did not take damage but finally it was possible to kill them.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Barbie wrote:on my server some pawns did not take damage but finally it was possible to kill them
I could kill most of the N_mechs but one was surely unkillable in my case, it survived the biggest nukes I had used on it. And the thing with teamview is right, I had the same issue here.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

As I digged into details of coding: Dear mappers please ask before you do copy and paste of code... There are better and error free solutions. (In this case SkaarjPunisher is a direct child of abstract Skaarj and not of SkaarjWarrior, but with copied code of SkaarjWarrior. This leads into errors because parent class 'Skaarj' has the code

Code: Select all

if ( IsA('SkaarjWarrior') ) // SkaarjPunisher is NOT a SkaarjWarrior
	PlayAnim('Stretch', AnimSpeed);
else
	PlayAnim('ShldTest', AnimSpeed); // then wrong animation chosen here
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Barbie wrote:please ask before you do copy and paste of code
I'll do you one better. I'm always very happy to do freelance work for mappers who need something, as I'm sure several other coders here are too. I'll work uncredited (I do that all the time) so drop a PM and it will stay as private as you want. Your map can stay your map and I'll just cobble together whatever it needs to fit your vision.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You see the whole thing don't make sense.

1 IF you make a subclass it takes from the stuff above it. right ?
2 IF the skaarjwarrior gets it's info from the class above it.
3 Then why is making it the exact same code copied from the skaarjwarior that does work, not do the same as making the same code but just another class name.
4 So if I change all the instances of "skaarjwarrior" in the new class, how can it not work the same, damage etc etc, not skins or mesh names.

As for the Mech or ANY of those AK pawns, I got those into MyLevel by loading another map, now it's without using the stock AK .U file loaded and considering there is no code to edit, I did make just a subclass. So a problem may be dragged in from the AK pawn, while I don't have the official AK .U file loaded.

As for damage or not, it's probably because I didn't type in enough for projectiles to cover all who gets damaged, other than the player.
At the last minute I used other projectiles for the AK pawns and didn't try to edit the class projectile for a particular "AK" pawn, I just made it have a default of an existing class that I did edit.

The whole logic of this was never explained, after all it is a "Tree" I can understand to not make a whole new class as the parent "skaarj" so it's still a subclass of the TREE.

Oh and if you do make a new map, DON'T change the way the skaarjPunisher was in my map, It took a while to get it at the speed he shoots or damage it does and it's health amount. I want to use it for other maps.

Plus I am not buying that players will leave, if they can hang out and shoot 100,000 hit point bosses and hours of mega spam, they can also have to be afraid for once. That was the whole purpose of making it the way it does kill.

Plus this map is a bit overkill usage , of them, so it's not a fair judgment, like using it in a SP map, not 255 of them LoL

Or even better, if you can fix it up the correct way and keep it the same I would be grateful for that. preferably in a box map MyLevel.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:4 So if I change all the instances of "skaarjwarrior" in the new class, how can it not work the same, damage etc etc, not skins or mesh names.
If I get it correct what you meant here: because code in the parent class checks if the current class is a (or a child of) SkaarjWarrior. That is what I tried to explain above.
Red_Fist wrote:there is no code to edit, I did make just a subclass.
AFAIK even if the code consist only of the class declaration it must be compiled.
Red_Fist wrote:The whole logic of this was never explained, after all it is a "Tree" I can understand to not make a whole new class as the parent "skaarj" so it's still a subclass of the TREE.
I really don't get what you want to say here. :noidea
Red_Fist wrote:Oh and if you do make a new map, DON'T change the way the skaarjPunisher was in my map
On my server I replace that pawn during runtime with another.
But for the fixed map I got the idea to adjust the projectile speed and damage according to game's difficulty setting. With maximum difficulty the settings will reach your defaults. Would that be ok?