New computer! Unreal Editor 2.0 Won't Load Maps!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Haminmypants
Novice

Re: New computer! Unreal Editor 2.0 Won't Load Maps!

Post by Haminmypants »

Terraniux wrote:Okay, I am sorry to hear that.

The UT99fix solved alot of problems for me in the past.

Pity. OK. Remove the fix,

Remove all UT Paths, and do , a clean install.
Carefully select and copy paste your files. If this doesn't help :

- Windows 8 / 10 is the issue.
- Not a fresh installation of UT is the Issue.

I can make video of copy pasting my entire UT installation, and make it work on another computer.
Did this alot of times in the past. I have proof of this,

So to summon this up: Either of 1 these problems is to blame
- installation path
- The problem is compatibility (OS)
- File integrity is not valid
- Missing files
- Registry issues.

Either 1 of those 5 should be it. If not, I'm willing to hear the possible solutution.
Welp, I got out the closest thing I had to an original installation. (the UT files from an original install, the disk was lost a long time ago.) Identical problem to every other UT on this computer, crash on startup. Gonna try setting up a virtual machine and try running the editor in there for now. I'm out of ideas.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

ahh...... Now we have it, this is what stings :
Welp, I got out the closest thing I had to an original installation.
Not a *maybe* or * could be * installation.

That is not original. You need a original fresh installation.
Try this:

Link deleted

This is a fresh original installation.

If this doesn't help, im out of options.
Last edited by papercoffee on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: illegal link
This member can only post when permitted.
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

Terraniux wrote:ahh...... Now we have it, this is what stings :
Welp, I got out the closest thing I had to an original installation.
Not a *maybe* or * could be * installation.

That is not original. You need a original fresh installation.
Try this:

Link deleted

This is a fresh original installation.

If this doesn't help, im out of options.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Set the editor compatibility mode to Windows 7.
You didn't mention anything about actually trying it out, but that's how I have mine set, and it works.

Also, having 2 machines with the exact same OS and the same updates is no guarantee whatsoever that they will behave identically.
I understand why you would assume such, and ideally that's what would happen, but the fact of the matter is that 2 different machines will always have differences, be them on the software installed, drivers, configurations, and even the OS and updates themselves may have a different resulting assembly tailored towards the specific hardware they were compiled for, and so they may behave differently.

So treat your current OS as if it was a new one, and attempt every reasonable solution first without assuming anything at all.

EDIT: And since it's a new computer, I guess this means a new screen perhaps? Depending on your screen, if it's a high DPI one you will need to do something else as well, but that's after you fix the main issues. :)
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

I gave the fresh install a go, installed to C:\UnrealTournament\ the editor still crashes on startup like every other one.
nogardilaref wrote:Set the editor compatibility mode to Windows 7.
You didn't mention anything about actually trying it out, but that's how I have mine set, and it works.

Also, having 2 machines with the exact same OS and the same updates is no guarantee whatsoever that they will behave identically.
I understand why you would assume such, and ideally that's what would happen, but the fact of the matter is that 2 different machines will always have differences, be them on the software installed, drivers, configurations, and even the OS and updates themselves may have a different resulting assembly tailored towards the specific hardware they were compiled for, and so they may behave differently.

So treat your current OS as if it was a new one, and attempt every reasonable solution first without assuming anything at all.
I just tried Windows 7 compatibility mode on the fresh install, no difference. It's also been in the back of my mind that my OS could be buggered, but man I really don't wanna do an OS reload right now. :P Also... for me to say I have a "new" computer may be a little misleading as to the condition of the OS. I meant that relatively speaking to the age of my other machine, I've actually had the "new" one for about 4 months, the old machine is about 7 years old.
nogardilaref wrote:EDIT: And since it's a new computer, I guess this means a new screen perhaps? Depending on your screen, if it's a high DPI one you will need to do something else as well, but that's after you fix the main issues. :)
That's an interesting point, yeah, my new screen is of a much higher resolution. (3200x1800) I'm gonna see if I can run the editor in a virtual environment on an OS I know is clean, and then I'll be interested in hearing what you'd suggest about that.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote: That is not original. You need a original fresh installation.
Try this:
Dude is this a UT install? please delete the link or I'll do it.
Flak is a member on this forum... I hope you get what I mean.
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

OKAY!!! I've now set up a virtual machine running windows 7. I moved all of my original files into the VM and Boom!

The file path was too long, and nothing loaded.

So I shortened the path.

BOOMBOOMBO0M!!!!!1!

Everything loads and works!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa-- well...

...almost works...

Whenever I try to move the camera in any of the viewports, it freaks out and moves ALOT uncontrollably/unpredictably. If I try to move an actor, it immediately leaves my view in a similar manner of movement and it's gone forever. Anyone got a fix for this? Maybe has to do with the hi-res display??? (3200x1800) It's basically unusable with this behavior.

As for the original problem, it was probably totally maybe the operating system.
papercoffee wrote:please delete the link or I'll do it.
Just give me a sec.....
...ok, NOW you can nuke it! :tu:
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Just a word of advice: Never just copy paste a game from one pc over to the next.
It will always cause issues. Best case is to just install it fresh.

A game can be set up for the computer it was installed for. Sometimes this can break the game when you swap hardware also.

Just my 2 cents.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You don't need to install it fresh, you can just remove the UT.ini and user.ini and restart the game. It will generate new ini's that you can then edit as you like. This in effect is a fresh install, meaning it will not carry the memory of the old environment and try to apply those settings.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Haminmypants
Novice

Post by Haminmypants »

SilverSound wrote:Just a word of advice: Never just copy paste a game from one pc over to the next.
It will always cause issues. Best case is to just install it fresh.

A game can be set up for the computer it was installed for. Sometimes this can break the game when you swap hardware also.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. Although I've found UT to be a great exception, and have had lots of luck doing this in the past. I'd be hesitant to do this with other games.

------
vvv Anyone got a solution for this? vvv
Haminmypants wrote:I've now set up a virtual machine running windows 7. I moved all of my original files into the VM.

Whenever I try to move the camera in any of the viewports, it freaks out and moves ALOT uncontrollably/unpredictably. If I try to move an actor, it immediately leaves my view in a similar manner of movement and it's gone forever. Anyone got a fix for this? Maybe has to do with the hi-res display??? (3200x1800) It's basically unusable with this behavior.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Haminmypants wrote: Whenever I try to move the camera in any of the viewports, it freaks out and moves ALOT uncontrollably/unpredictably. If I try to move an actor, it immediately leaves my view in a similar manner of movement and it's gone forever. Anyone got a fix for this? Maybe has to do with the hi-res display??? (3200x1800) It's basically unusable with this behavior.
Remember what I said here?
nogardilaref wrote: And since it's a new computer, I guess this means a new screen perhaps? Depending on your screen, if it's a high DPI one you will need to do something else as well, but that's after you fix the main issues. :)
That's exactly what I was talking about. :mrgreen:

To fix that, you go to the same menu/tab as if you were trying to set the compatibility mode of the application, and down there you will see 3 checkboxes, and one of them refers to high-DPI screens (I don't remember the exact wording, but it's clear once you see it, and I think it's the middle entry).
So all you have to do is to check it, so Windows doesn't try to scale up the editor due to your screen, and what will happen is that everything will move and work as it should, and the editor will also be rendered at the correct scale so it won't appear blurry either.

Also, as for your original problem in the main physical machine, there's another problem that should probably be the first thing to check, but everyone (including me) forgets about, it's Windows DEP.
All your problems might now stem from the fact that DEP is enabled and you need to disable it for the editor. I don't remember how, but I think a bit of Google should do it. :tu:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You are all crazy, rename your old UT location , install the game to the old directory name, copy files over.
Binary Space Partitioning
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Red_Fist wrote:You are all crazy, rename your old UT location , install the game to the old directory name, copy files over.
You didn't read the thread did you, lol .

............................ :loool:
This member can only post when permitted.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It sounds like a DPI problem
Go into the mouse settings and set the pointer speed to the middle and disable the "Enhance pointer precision" option.

You will find good advice here https://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.uk

BTW. did you install the missing DirectX files for older versions ?
Make sure you use the final DX9 runtime distro https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You can install all the missing MS runtimes and libraries with the system admin tools from http://www.autopatcher.net or http://www.wsusoffline.net