Future plans for UT99

Discussions about UT99
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Future plans for UT99

Post by Feralidragon »

Terraniux wrote:Nice , great plans. But isn't this a bit much to take on your own?
Well, I don't really know yet for sure until I get there of course, but I have been doing this sort of thing for a living at a much bigger scale for years, with hundreds of machines and hundreds of billions of requests everyday nowadays, all running my own code as their core technology (PHP-wise of course, although Lua is also involved), and this is the 3rd framework that I am creating and is meant to be better in every way than what we're currently running to hold all of these (the 2nd), so I honestly believe that I have the necessary experience nowadays to pull this one off on my own, as something for UT99 looks much simpler in comparison, hence being able to work on this as a hobby.

Furthermore, this is something I always wanted to see for UT, and I don't think anyone else is going to do it if I don't at least try to do it myself.

Although, once ready, I will certainly need the aid of the community to actually manage content and stuff like that, I cannot curate everything on my own, that's for sure, but when that time comes, if it actually ends up matching and fulfilling the needs of everyone, which isn't guaranteed either of course, I don't think that's going to be much of a problem.
Terraniux wrote:Or the company working / helping in the background as well?
Not at all.
For the framework I could get help if I wanted of course, but history thus far has proven to me too many times that I am better off developing it all on my own, so pretty much like my previous frameworks, I am going to be the sole author of this one, at least for the time being.

As for the rest, all which is purely UT-related won't have any help from them ever of course, for obvious reasons, nor would I ask for such a thing in the first place, they were already very nice in trusting me and allowing me to do this much in the first place, and we lack the resources (or "bandwidth" as Epic would put it lol) even for ourselves (we're looking for senior developers, and they're hard to find, at least good enough ones).
Terraniux wrote: Edit, you got the dedication now but wait till busy times meet. Same thing with my CU Portal project. Really big thing. Rebooted it twice, but was too much to take on myself as well.
I have been working and planning this sort of thing since October 2016, and after a lot of work over the past year I reached a state where things are finally falling into place cleanly and nicely to the point of me making this sort of post in the first place, so I am not very worried myself, so far. :)
But of course, the future is always uncertain, and I can perfectly understand your view of something like this being overwhelming, as it normally is, but time will tell.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

cool idea, if it takes off and gets used it might become big.
now, who else wanna come and help me to kidnap steve &co so they release the source code? :thuup:
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Hey buddy check your PM's about to message you :D