Nickname using/banning/preventing?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Nickname using/banning/preventing?

Post by MEAT »

Hey everybody,
Looking for a mod that would prevent someone from using someone else's name?
For example: Joe doesn't like Mary using his name as an alias.
So is there a mod to stop/prevent Mary from logging on as Joe?
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Re: Nickname using/banning/preventing?

Post by RocketJedi »

I know nexgen has tag protection.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I don't know if such a mod exists, but I wonder how do you imagine how something like this would work?

I mean, most games prevent this by requiring a login, so the player name is ensured to be unique as it resides in their database, however in a game such as this there's no sure automatic way to do so reliably.

At most, an unique ID could be assigned to a client, and then have a name bound to that ID.
But then from here you would have to assume a "first come first served" detection, where the first one to use a nickname would "own" such a name, unless you manually create or generate this ID and give it to the player directly to save it in some ini from theirs, to ensure it's them.

Also, if the player got to reinstall the game, or clean things up or so, this ID would be lost, and the player would no longer be able to use such a nickname until you intervened as an admin, to not mention that these could also be stolen in indirect but clever ways (probably wouldn't happen, but still...).
IP addresses and ranges could also be used, unless the impersonators you want to avoid are from around the same area as the "real" owners of such a nick.

Another solution would be to actually have user and password saved in your server, where a player would have to type at least once (to generate an unique ID) to get access to use it, which would solve the reinstall problem, and the IP range could be just added security, although it would probably be a bit overkill for this sort of thing.

What I mean with all of this is that, if such a mod exists, something along these lines is probably how it works, and it will never be very reliable, and although it may suffice in your case, I think you should understand what you might be getting if you find one. :)

PS.: I already used a nick in the past which collided with someone else's nick without me realizing it, and something like this would indeed have been useful.
I have ever since changed my UT in-game nick to something else that I was sure which doesn't collide with anyone, but anyone could indeed adopt a common enough nick to cause issues for others, this is one of the reasons central databases are used nowadays to store them.
MEAT
Adept

Post by MEAT »

Oh Geez, I asked the same question almost 5 years ago... :omfg:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4628&p=48393&hilit= ... ban#p48393

Seems like it's based off of the individuals IP.
No instructions though...anyone know how to work this mod?
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

In the NickNameBan110.zip exists a help file where all is described very good. Open the \help\NickNameBan110.htm file with your browser.
MEAT
Adept

Post by MEAT »

Aldebaran wrote:In the NickNameBan110.zip exists a help file where all is described very good. Open the \help\NickNameBan110.htm file with your browser.
Yeah, playing around with it...but.
I can ban/kick everyone for using a certain nick
but I can't figure out how to set it to ban only one
player from doing it...if you know what I mean?
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I never used this mutator. I think if you ban someone with it, it stores the players ip mask - the first two (= class b) or three (= class c) numbers of ip - together with the nick name you want to block. It won't work perfectly because this ip mask of a player can change for example by reconnect at his provider. But it is better than nothing, because normally a player has not more than 3-5 seperate ip masks of class b in opposite to the ip that can change every time.
-=SoP=-axewound
Average

Post by -=SoP=-axewound »

Look at AKA, it may do what you are looking for:

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=A ... AKAV6k.zip
MEAT
Adept

Post by MEAT »

Aldebaran wrote:I never used this mutator. I think if you ban someone with it, it stores the players ip mask - the first two (= class b) or three (= class c) numbers of ip - together with the nick name you want to block. It won't work perfectly because this ip mask of a player can change for example by reconnect at his provider. But it is better than nothing, because normally a player has not more than 3-5 seperate ip masks of class b in opposite to the ip that can change every time.
NickNameBan:
From what I can see after testing, it does ban/kick a player for using someone else's name.
However it continues to ban this player regardless to what name he uses.
Basically the IP of this player is collected and the IP is forever banned.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

MEAT wrote:From what I can see after testing, it does ban/kick a player for using someone else's name.
However it continues to ban this player regardless to what name he uses.
Hm ok, then it does not work as I would expect. Perhaps this mutator should be developed further ;-)