No Brushes in the Editor?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

No Brushes in the Editor?

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hi all:
This has happened a couple times. After opening a map (someone else's) in the editor, no brushes show up in the 3 windows. I can see everything else: pathnodes, actors, player starts, movers, etc, but no brushes are visible. Probably just need to click a button somewhere, but not sure what to do. I even tried clicking on the "binoculars" and no brushes are present there. What am I missing?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: No Brushes in the Editor?

Post by papercoffee »

That's brush stripping. Those mapper deleted the brushes in their final map after rebuilding everything.
Some mapper doesn't like their brushes be used/taken (or modified). It's some kind of obfuscating, like some programmer do it with their code.
There exist a method to get the brush information back ...but I don't remember how.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: There exist a method to get the brush information back ...but I don't remember how.
I'm fairly certain this has been discussed before on this forum, so a search here may reveal the answer.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for the info paper....and I'll search next time Ojitro.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Have a look at this thread f=5&t=4051&start=0&hilit=stripped which doesn't so much reveal the method (which is hex editing) as indicate why people were reluctant to describe the method in detail. A quick search didn't throw up any other useful thread so what I said earlier is probably misleading.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

I have definitely seen the solution, or at least ONE solution, to bring back the brushes in maps where they have been deleted.
I will look for it when time permits, and also keep an eye out for where it was I saw it. :?
I know it was a member of my old forum that posted about it, but I cannot remember for sure where he posted it.

As papercoffee said, I too do not remember exactly how to do it, as I have never had to do it myself.
I have successfully edited maps (other aspects of the map that do not involve the structure) where the brushes have been deleted - just do not rebuild the brushes.

Anyway, I will see what I can do with this :wink:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:Have a look at this thread f=5&t=4051&start=0&hilit=stripped which doesn't so much reveal the method (which is hex editing) as indicate why people were reluctant to describe the method in detail. A quick search didn't throw up any other useful thread so what I said earlier is probably misleading.
Ah... Then I didn't "not" remember it... I didn't know it. :lol2: Hahaha ... :|
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If you want to see the whole thing, you can surround the whole thing with the builder brush and intersect (deintersect ?) and it will show up with one large complex brush.

The flat brushes or zone brushes screw things up to make a one brush map. But if you wanted to see the thing it works ok.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:After opening a map (someone else's) in the editor, no brushes show up in the 3 windows.
Beside that the brushes were deleted I have seen that brushes were hidden by assigning them to a group and hiding that group. Look at menu item View > Group Browser.

Also possible: the mapper has set bColored to TRUE and the BrushColor to black for all brushes. Look at Edit > Search for Actors if you see any Brushes there.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett