UED 2.1 Mouse Issue

Discussions about UT99
Bah
Novice

UED 2.1 Mouse Issue

Post by Bah »

Hello, people! This is a question related to UED 2.1. Ever since I updated WIN 10 to The Fall Creators Edition, I have been experiencing issues with my mouse in the editor. It jumps around. Whenever i right-click to copy/paste, the mouse skips to a random location. I've tried compatibility mode, changing my DPIScaling, and all of my drivers are up-to-date. Has anyone else experienced this, and, if so, what is a solution? Thank you!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: UED 2.1 Mouse Issue

Post by papercoffee »

Moved the thread to General Discussions.

UEd2.1 ???
Do you mean the Unreal 227 Editor?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's a question better directed here: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... woPointOne
which is where the author(s) of that specific editor version are. :)
papercoffee wrote: UEd2.1 ???
Do you mean the Unreal 227 Editor?
Unreal 227 editor is UnrealEd 2.1. :wink:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Bah wrote:Hello, people! This is a question related to UED 2.1. Ever since I updated WIN 10 to The Fall Creators Edition, I have been experiencing issues with my mouse in the editor. It jumps around. Whenever i right-click to copy/paste, the mouse skips to a random location. I've tried compatibility mode, changing my DPIScaling, and all of my drivers are up-to-date. Has anyone else experienced this, and, if so, what is a solution? Thank you!
Hey friend, this is a known problem.
W10 does no favour to any UnrealEd version up to at least UnrealEd 3.0. The bug you encounter is found in all versions and works like this: whenever the mouse is clicked while moving, the pointer will jump around and the viewport will seem to "skip" slightly, making precise adjustments impossible. This can only be avoided so far by keeping the mouse still before clicking.
Yes it's a pain.
You must construct additional pylons.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

One thing I forgot to mention: generally the problem is the DPI scaling alone, which once deactivated for UnrealEd specifically, it generally fixes the issue.
It fixed for me and for many others, therefore my question to you is: when you mention the DPI scaling, was this what you meant or you meant another setting?
Bah
Novice

Post by Bah »

Yes, I do mean the Unreal 227 Editor. I've read the forums regarding this issue in the OldUnreal forums, but nothing there has fixed the issue lol. Quite annoying!! I realize this site is for UT99, but didn't think it could hurt to ask :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Bah wrote:Yes, I do mean the Unreal 227 Editor. I've read the forums regarding this issue in the OldUnreal forums, but nothing there has fixed the issue lol. Quite annoying!! I realize this site is for UT99, but didn't think it could hurt to ask :)
I just asked because there is a UEd2.1 for UT floating around and this Editor version has nothing to do with the Unreal 227 version.
If I remember right is it a standalone version of the normal 2.0 Editor.

Could the other posted suggestions help you?
Bah
Novice

Post by Bah »

I've tried all of the suggestions made to no avail. I guess at this point I will just revert back to Win7 :cry:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Bah wrote:I've tried all of the suggestions made to no avail. I guess at this point I will just revert back to Win7 :cry:

wait up. Not yet. I may have some tricks up my sleeve that might just help.

Don't ask why, just try them. It solved my mouse problems in the past or from others.

1. Turn off pc, unplug your mouse, start on pc, put back in in different usb port. When it's says 'installed' or something confirming, start up UED again. Fingers crossed.

2. In general, mouses do not need drivers. Some do, check the manufacturer if there is any available. Try that.

3. Since the software changed, and not your hardware, uninstall your mouse in the computer managent panel > device manager, uninstall your mouse, unplug your mouse, restart pc, put mouse back in.

Hope of any these help, otherwise I need to think of something more advanced.
This member can only post when permitted.
Bah
Novice

Post by Bah »

Tried all 3. Issue still persists. Thank you for the suggestions!
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb obvious question, but did you try combinations of compatibility mode and DPI scaling?
Like, deactivating the DPI scaling AND setting the compatibility to Windows XP for example?
(you probably did, I just wanted to be sure before advancing to more exotic options)

Also, another idea occurred to me: did you try to change the viewports renderer to check for any change.
In the case of UnrealEd 2.1, I believe it's OpenGL by default, but you could attempt XOpenGL, or the DIrect3D ones, or even Software just to try it out.
I am not sure if it would influence the mouse in any way, but may be worth a try.

Your last resort is to post it up in OldUnreal to check if it can get fixed in a later patch.
Hellkeeper seems to be acquainted with this problem, so it's very likely that Smirftsch already knows about it, but still, if everything else fails, the best thing is to check with him if there's anything you can do, or if it's something he can fix, or reproduce at all.

It still confuses me though, because I have Windows 10, with the latest updates, and both editors (2.0 and 2.1) work well, as long as I disable the DPI scaling.
So there may be more to it than just the OS, it may be a system/driver dependent thing.
Updating all your drivers perhaps (including the graphic card) may be a good idea.
Bah
Novice

Post by Bah »

No need to apologize. I did try all of those things. Thank you for the suggestions!
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

The issue has already been reported to Smirftsch at OldUnreal. I've seen it reported on a handfull of forums. To my knowledge, nobody has pinpointed its cause or a possible solution so far.
You must construct additional pylons.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

I had another idea in the meanwhile: did you try to enable direct input in the settings of the game?

I made a very brief search on this outside of Unreal/UT, since this sounds like the sort of problem that would affect a bunch of other things as well under Windows 10, and not UnrealEd specifically.
What I found, is that some games have similar problems where the users went through the kind of issues you are facing, and attempted the same things as you did, and the only thing which solved it for them was to enable raw mouse input whenever available in the game.

And both Unreal and UT have direct input, and as far as I remember I also had to explicitly enable it or the mouse would act in very odd ways, at least in-game.
I am not sure how this would affect UnrealEd itself, but may be worth a go and perhaps some investigation in this direction.