Making a VP

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Making a VP

Post by HOT_BEEF_INJECTION »

I am modelling a VP after a popular Youtuber. I have 102 .WAVs from this person and I'm deciding the final cut to be placed in the final version.

I specifically need to know how to replace specific UT VP 'team' commands with Sounds from my youtuber.

I wish to replace sounds such as (for CTF): Somebody Get Our Flag Back!

So that "Somebody get our flag back!" would be replaced by a specific quip from this youtuber.

There are commands that have dual usage: Such as "Take thier Flag!" for CTF, but when the same key is pressed playing Siege, the output becomes "Assault the Base!". I need to know how to replace the commands that have dual purpose as well...

The final thing I need to know is how to pick the 'Acknowledgement' sound when somebody picks the Voicepack in Preferences. Like Male1 "Roger" or Male2 "Roger".

How to do please? :)

The .WAVs are trimmed and ready to go. You wont be disappointed :P

Sorry cant spoil the result with revealing the youtuber just yet :) Let's just say this person provided a shit-load of funny samples :P
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Making a VP

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I'd recommend following a tutorial for making a voicepack, here's one that I used before:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/191945 ... faqs/21602

Also you might want to trim down the wav files to around 80.

For orders, where you place the new files, make sure you put them exactly where the old ones were on the list, so say, assault the base was like #2 and hold this position is # 14, put the new sound files there and dont move them anywhere.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

I did some digging this morning and found an old tutorial that helped me when I began making voicepacks back in 2004. I will post a link asap.
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

OK finally got a night off to work on it.

Thanks guys
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

I have 50+ cool taunts for my VP.

I reduced them to 8bit 11500 Mono.

I copied them into the SOUNDS folder.

I imported one and saved as the VP name.

I open the VP i saved and the clip I imported is not there, but it looks like some default UT sounds are in this file somehow. When I imported the sound, I named the package and put the sound in the (All) category. The sound isnt there although it looked like it imported and saved successfully :/

Some names have punctuation as such: FF_what_are_you_doing-SameTeam

Thinking the punctuation was messing it up I removed them all. Still wont save. Is there a limit to how long sound names can be? Thats the only other thing i can think of, but it still doesnt explain why so many UT sounds are in my VP and not what I imported :/

Any ideas what I did wrong? :idea:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just to clarify
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote: I imported one and saved as the VP name.
This means you created a new .aux file and imported your .wav clip into that or did you create a new .u file and import the clip into that?

PS - the fault doesn't lie in the length of the clip name nor in the punctuation as I've just successfully created a Test.aux containing a .wav file named FF_what_are_you_doing-SameTeam.wav.

PPS - another test suggests that the sample rate of 11500 Hz is too low - I created a .wav file with a bitrate of 16 and a sample rate of 11025 Hz and tried to import this in the Sound browser in UEd - this failed and simply brought up a whole load of default UT sounds. I think the sample rate needs to be at least 22050 although some VPs use a rate of 44100.

I think I am right about this - try it with one of your .WAV clips, convert it to a higher sample rate and see if it imports OK.
Last edited by OjitroC on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:I have 50+ cool taunts for my VP.

That's not needed, only files with the extension UAX should stay there.
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:I imported one and saved as the VP name.
Did you import it into a NEW package or into an existing one? (Never change existing packages you don't have created by yourself!)
ImportSound.jpg
ImportSound.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
If you now close UnrealED, start it again and open TestMySounds.uax, the sound(s) should be visible in the sound browser.
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:Some names have punctuation as such: FF_what_are_you_doing-SameTeam
The safest way is to stay with letters A-Z, digits and underscore and keep the length below 64. (See also the valid chars for variables.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Barbie wrote:
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:I have 50+ cool taunts for my VP.

That's not needed, only files with the extension UAX should stay there.
One tutorial said to copy into SOUNDS. I tried importing from a folder on the desktop too. Same problem.

Barbie wrote:
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:I imported one and saved as the VP name.
Did you import it into a NEW package or into an existing one? (Never change existing packages you don't have created by yourself!)
ImportSound.jpg
If you now close UnrealED, start it again and open TestMySounds.uax, the sound(s) should be visible in the sound browser.
Yes i changed that name and saved
Barbie wrote:
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:Some names have punctuation as such: FF_what_are_you_doing-SameTeam
The safest way is to stay with letters A-Z, digits and underscore and keep the length below 64. (See also the valid chars for variables.)
The sounds would not import even when i used no underscores
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote: The sounds would not import even when i used no underscores
The problem doesn't lie in the file names (unless you have a . (dot) or spaces int them) but, I think, in the low sample rate of 11500 Hz (11025?)- did you try my suggestion of converting your .wav files to a sample rate of 22050 or higher and then importing them?

Another test indicates that a sample rate of 11025Hz can be used PROVIDED the bit rate is at least 16 - using 8bit 11025Hz Mono results in a crash. Probably best to use 16/22050 which is what most VPs seem to do.
Last edited by OjitroC on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:Any ideas what I did wrong? :idea:
It looks like if your workflow has an error somewhere. To create an UAX file, do the following steps:
  1. Start UnrealEd
  2. Open SOUNDS browser (menu item View>Sound Browser...)
  3. In Sound Browser, choose File>Import...
  4. Choose LASER.WAV (this file is attached to this post).
  5. The window Import Sound opens (like in my above posting). Enter the text MySoundPackage in the first line Package. Let the other two text fields unchanged and press ENTER.
  6. The window Sound Browser should be on top now again. Choose menu item File>Save...
  7. The Save Sound Package window appears now with the SOUNDS folder and the file name "MySoundPackage" selected. Just press ENTER without any change. (If a file with this name already exists, you will get an overwrite warning.)
  8. Close UnrealEd.
  9. The next time you start UnrealEd, open the SOUNDS browser (menu item View>Sound Browser...).
  10. In Sound Browser, choose File>Open...
  11. The Save Sound Package window appears now with the SOUNDS folder selected.
  12. Choose "MySoundPackage".
OjitroC wrote:using 8bit 11500Hz Mono results in a crash
Do you really mean 11500 or 11025? With the example file (11025 Hz, 8 Bit, mono) attached to this post importing works fine.
Attachments
LASER.WAV.7z
11025 Hz, 1 channel, 8 Bit
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote:
OjitroC wrote:using 8bit 11500Hz Mono results in a crash
Do you really mean 11500 or 11025? With the example file (11025 Hz, 8 Bit, mono) attached to this post importing works fine.
OMG - NO! You're right - 11500 Hz should read 11025 Hz! Perhaps if the sample rate that the OP used really is 11500 Hz, that could be the problem or maybe it's to do with the codec used for conversion?

I agree that 11025 Hz, 8 Bit, mono should import OK but I've had varying results trying to do so, whilst I've had no problems using a higher sample rate or a higher bit rate.
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Apologies to Barbie, OjitroC and everyone else who offered advice. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP SO FAR! I didnt go absent because I had success with this. This VP never got created... :( I'm sorry I did not finish this conversation with you because I had to deal with real life and drop this project... Until now. I have a bit of time to play around with this once again and I'd really love to finish what I started...
Barbie wrote:It looks like if your workflow has an error somewhere. To create an UAX file, do the following steps:
  1. Start UnrealEd
  2. Open SOUNDS browser (menu item View>Sound Browser...)
  3. In Sound Browser, choose File>Import...
  4. Choose LASER.WAV (this file is attached to this post).
  5. The window Import Sound opens (like in my above posting). Enter the text MySoundPackage in the first line Package. Let the other two text fields unchanged and press ENTER.
  6. The window Sound Browser should be on top now again. Choose menu item File>Save...
  7. The Save Sound Package window appears now with the SOUNDS folder and the file name "MySoundPackage" selected. Just press ENTER without any change. (If a file with this name already exists, you will get an overwrite warning.)
  8. Close UnrealEd.
  9. The next time you start UnrealEd, open the SOUNDS browser (menu item View>Sound Browser...).
  10. In Sound Browser, choose File>Open...
  11. The Save Sound Package window appears now with the SOUNDS folder selected.
  12. Choose "MySoundPackage".
I couldnt get any of this to work. I imported the LASER.WAV and did the above steps... The problem happens when attempting to Save the 'MySoundPackage.UAX'... I put 'MySoundPackage' in 'Package', then leave 'Group' as '(All)' and the sound name appears as 'LASER'. So far so good but then I try to Save like you said...

Step 7 is where it appears to go wrong!

So when the 'Save Sound Package' box opens, 'MySoundPackage' is NOT automatically in the Name field of the Save box. This field is empty. So, I typed 'MySoundPackage' as the name of the .UAX and click SAVE. Nothing happens. I see other sounds from UT and LASER is nowhere to be found.

Then I close the editor and re-open it... I open Sound Browser and there is no MySoundPackage.UAX in the list of UAX packages.

Curiously MySoundPackage.uax appears in the Recently Opened list under 'File'. Clicking this does nothing. MySoundPackage.UAX and/or LASER.wav is nowhere to be found.

I have saved some screenshots of the process I have been using to try to help someone identify the error I am making... I'd really love to get this package together for everyone to see because the sounds are very funny...

I will post the screens below:

Before the screens, I should declare some variables that might have an effect on my endeavour:
I dont use C:/UnrealTournament as my development folder.

Instead I use a second hard drive location for my development environment: E:/UnrealTournament_-_DEVELOPMENT is the folder name. I replaced spaces in the name with _Underscores_ thinking maybe the spaces were messing up the process.

I IMPORT my WAVs from a folder on my Desktop. Folder name: OMR_UT_16bitMono
Again, Underscores in place of Spaces.

In this folder are 2 WAV files:
One is 22050 / 16bit Mono - File name: alloveryourface.wav
One is 44100 / 16bit Mono - File name: alloveryourface2.wav
EDIT: I tried 22050 8bit Mono too!

No spaces in the folder names OR in the .WAV file names.

MORE INFO:
I have been using NCH Software called WavePad Sound Editor to edit my sounds:

Here are the options I save the WAV file with:

Here are the screens of an attempted Import:

Selecting the folder on my Desktop and the 22050 16bit Mono file to be imported:

Here's what happens when I click 'OPEN':

Curiously 'Announcer' is in the 'Package' field. So I click 'Cancel' and try again... Fields are empty:

Now I type the proper names:

I click 'OK' and this is the resulting screen:

NOW THE PISSER! :mad2: I attempt to Save the .UAX file:
NOTE: When I opened the 'Save Sound Package' box, the 'Package' name I typed "OMR001" DID NOT automatically appear in the Save Sound Package 'File name' field!
I manually typed OMR001 as the name in the below screenshot.

After clicking Save, these are the sounds I see and the sound I thought I imported is nowhere to be found!!!!! :mad2:

I close and re-open UnrealEd. I look for OMR001 in the Sound Browser. WTF There is NO OMR001.uax in the list of avaliable .UAX files: :pfff: :thudown:

I didnt take a screen but OMR001.uax appeared in the File > Recently Accessed file list. Again, clicking this opened nothing though... :confused2:

Need help plz :help:
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

Delete the file you already created, run the editor and don't open any other file before finishing the procedure:

- If you were batch importing files, try importing just one instead and give the package name you want as you import it. If a new package was created with that one file, save it. You should be able to batch import the other files now. If not, close the editor and, reopen it and load that package with one file again. If you still can't bath import, try one by one.
- If you couldn't even import one like that, test your editor by exporting an audio file from an existent package and importing it back to a new package. If it works, the problem is with your audio files. if it doesn't, try updating your editor.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:Selecting the folder on my Desktop and the 22050 16bit Mono file to be imported:
Use a very short file path here and avoid spaces in it. In your picture Untitled-2.jpg I can see a quite long path, and it is wrapped what indicates a space in the path. I'd try it with C:\TMP for example.

As soon as you have imported it, the sound name should appear in the Sounds Browser with the new created package selected. As I can see in your screenshot Untitled-3.jpg, there is no entry given in the package name list. So the previous step has failed and all further steps will fail then, too.
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Barbie wrote:
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:Selecting the folder on my Desktop and the 22050 16bit Mono file to be imported:
Use a very short file path here and avoid spaces in it. In your picture Untitled-2.jpg I can see a quite long path, and it is wrapped what indicates a space in the path. I'd try it with C:\TMP for example.

As soon as you have imported it, the sound name should appear in the Sounds Browser with the new created package selected. As I can see in your screenshot Untitled-3.jpg, there is no entry given in the package name list. So the previous step has failed and all further steps will fail then, too.
Crap so simple..

I moved the sounds from the desktop to C:/UTsounds and... It Works! Thanks Barbie!

Thanks too Iacobus. Nope I was just trying to import one sound just to see if I could get it to work. :mrgreen: