First Maps (CTF)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
SkYlInE
Average

First Maps (CTF)

Post by SkYlInE »

Hello guys,

i just wanted to share my first two maps. The first one (CTF-Rage) is as you can see just three cubes but i had fun to play it with the bots. Its nothing special same as the second map.
This one is a bit bigger so you need more players to play it. Both maps can be played with normal weapons and whatever you want to. Bot paths are in there as well.

I just want to thank you Smeerkat for his very good explained tutorials on youtube!!

Feel free to try the maps. And maybe there are good for some servers.

CTF-Rage

CTF-FluxX

Thanks for any help and advices :tu:
Attachments
CTF-Rage.zip
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 404 times

[The extension utx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

CTF-FluxX.unr
(3.03 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
Last edited by SkYlInE on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: First Maps (CTF)

Post by OjitroC »

Not sure what's up here but I can't extract the contents of the .RAR files - both Unarchiver and RAR Extractor are unable to open them.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Hi there! CTF-FluxX can be played very well. I saw some light missing in a side tunnel in red flag base. Also some textures are missing in your package: ZacPack5XD.utx, richrig.utx, HourIceSkaarj.utx. But I had them and could play the map. Nice one!
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

Aldebaran wrote:Hi there! CTF-FluxX can be played very well. I saw some light missing in a side tunnel in red flag base. Also some textures are missing in your package: ZacPack5XD.utx, richrig.utx, HourIceSkaarj.utx. But I had them and could play the map. Nice one!
Thank you for the tipp. I changed the package. Now those textures are in there. I thought everyone got those.
Do you think that the side tunnel is too dark?
OjitroC wrote:Not sure what's up here but I can't extract the contents of the .RAR files - both Unarchiver and RAR Extractor are unable to open them.
I Cant tell you what the problem is. I just extract them into a rar file and it works fine for me.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

SkYlInE wrote:
OjitroC wrote:Not sure what's up here but I can't extract the contents of the .RAR files - both Unarchiver and RAR Extractor are unable to open them.
I Cant tell you what the problem is. I just extract them into a rar file and it works fine for me.
I have 7zip and can't open them as well. And 7zip can normally open everything.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

SkYlInE wrote:Do you think that the side tunnel is too dark?
No it is not too dark. It only looks little bit extraordinary on the edges to the other parts/rooms. There is no soft crossover.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

SkYlInE wrote:
Thank you for the tipp. I changed the package. Now those textures are in there. I thought everyone got those.
Do you think that the side tunnel is too dark?
Yes I noticed that part of this great map not as dark its like as untextured or so, as for several lightpoint appears not reflecting on the surface (from the ceiling), maybe you could improve this part if you do have some time for it. Anyway thanks for the fluxX map is very strategitable and many z-axis to play very fun! thanks!
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

As some of you couldnt open the rar file i have uploaded every single file. That should solve the problem for now i hope.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

SkYlInE wrote:As some of you couldnt open the rar file i have uploaded every single file. That should solve the problem for now i hope.
Rage is still a rar :wink:

Edit----------------
Which packer do you use to make those .rar files?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

You could always use good ol'plain zip. :)
Rar is loosing its relevance anyway, and has been for a while already.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I saw that you have fixed the texture light issue and this CTF-FluxX download is a newer one, so all people downloaded the old version should delete is because of possible package mismatches.
If you make changes to this CTF-FluxX once more I would recommend another filename like CTF-FluxX-v1.1 or similar.
Thank you for the fixed version!
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

papercoffee wrote:
SkYlInE wrote:As some of you couldnt open the rar file i have uploaded every single file. That should solve the problem for now i hope.
Rage is still a rar :wink:

Edit----------------
Which packer do you use to make those .rar files?
usually i use winRar, now i changed CTF-Rage to a zip file with winzip. Should work hopefully now.

Aldebaran wrote:I saw that you have fixed the texture light issue and this CTF-FluxX download is a newer one, so all people downloaded the old version should delete is because of possible package mismatches.
If you make changes to this CTF-FluxX once more I would recommend another filename like CTF-FluxX-v1.1 or similar.
Thank you for the fixed version!
oh dear, im sorry. I thought i could change the details and everybody can still play the map. Looks better with more light :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SkYlInE wrote:... now i changed CTF-Rage to a zip file with winzip. Should work hopefully now.
Yes, the zip file can be unzipped without problems. :tu:
SkYlInE wrote: oh dear, im sorry. I thought i could change the details and everybody can still play the map.
The map can be played - it's just that there are two versions of it with the same name so people won't know if they have the updated version or not.
Really nice map - it's a good size and nicely done. :gj:
Aldebaran wrote: If you make changes to this CTF-FluxX once more I would recommend another filename like CTF-FluxX-v1.1 or similar.
Sorry - I don't wish to be pedantic but would point out that map names shouldn't have a . in them as UT will read this as an URL and won't open the map. Better to do something like CTF-FluxXv1_1 or similar.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Notes here:
When updating a map after first public release, maybe changing name it's a MUST not an option. The rest of discussions about generic names which anyone can use do seems pointless, no one cares. A G00gle search usually can reveal if exist another map with similar name or crawling a public redirect. Malformed names also might lead to an UnPlayable map On-Line if you are not following URL naming rules.
Small feed-back:
Reason for having so many PathNodes in CTF-Rage][ map for me is pointless. In mean-time, paths done at less than 50 UU each-other in the same spot are a nonsense.
For now map do looks suitable for some game-play - if paths are completely rebuild in Run-Time. There are not needed 279 PathNodes here, map has InventorySpot actors, 59 AlternatePath actors..., helping Navigation Network.
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

sektor2111 wrote:Notes here:
When updating a map after first public release, maybe changing name it's a MUST not an option. The rest of discussions about generic names which anyone can use do seems pointless, no one cares. A G00gle search usually can reveal if exist another map with similar name or crawling a public redirect. Malformed names also might lead to an UnPlayable map On-Line if you are not following URL naming rules.
Small feed-back:
Reason for having so many PathNodes in CTF-Rage][ map for me is pointless. In mean-time, paths done at less than 50 UU each-other in the same spot are a nonsense.
For now map do looks suitable for some game-play - if paths are completely rebuild in Run-Time. There are not needed 279 PathNodes here, map has InventorySpot actors, 59 AlternatePath actors..., helping Navigation Network.

Im gonna do the map Name Changing for sure in Future now that i know that. About bot pathing in rage you are right. There are many unneeded pathnodes but i did Not know it better at that Time. It was my first try creating a Map so more like a dummy. In fluxx i did far less pathnodes. But Good to see that you guys Take care of all those thibgs.