First Maps (CTF)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: First Maps (CTF)

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Your randomiser irritates me every time those Gasbags pop up at the start of the map... but that fits better in another thread.
Like I said, I'm using that only for certain DM maps not for everything because that mutator doesn't have eyes and not even for myself it's not a must have everywhere. In any potential future version I won't remove those temporary checkers (not gasbags) they are saying/testing which node is suitable for being mobile so are the main mutator core and I want them VISIBLE - feel free to modify it in another way.
Yeah I get it that those Gasbags are just visualisations ...
The randomiser works for DM or TDM the best.
But also in CTF can it force the bots to use different paths. It makes the opposing team of bots more unpredictable.
SkYlInE wrote:(are they the same like a player start for the bots anyway?like player start is an replacement for a path node)
Player starts are player starts ...but technically could you path a map with player starts only. But that would be insane.

Hm.... insane is exactly my kind of thing. I have to experiment on this idea. Or are there any limits how many player starts I can put into a map?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For preventing thread hijack I won't insist that I thought at some mutator (not exactly like NavAdder) which might use paths toggling in CTF games (and/or others). The problem comes in first map analysis - writing correctly a sort of "eye" or configurable based on map-name, and delayed. Some team-work would be appreciated here but I don't see any candidates for getting into this task.

Returning to the topic: Valid Tutorials are those written by people coding this game and other rebels demonstrating facts not stories. Reduce the number of paths and learn to debug the network using said commands, it won't hurt anything in range.
papercoffee wrote: Player starts are player starts ...but technically could you path a map with player starts only. But that would be insane.

Hm.... insane is exactly my kind of thing. I have to experiment on this idea. Or are there any limits how many player starts I can put into a map?
Nope, more than 16 are useless for spawning and PlayerStart has another purpose than telefraging Pawn running through there. You can adjust default PathNode, complete map, build paths, save, end of problem, it's what builders done by me are doing - preparing pre-pathing stage that can be more fine tuned as well... resulting a different way of doing.
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

papercoffee wrote:Ok... nice maps. I tested them with default weapons and NW3 weapons.
Bots work well in both.
I used MrLoathsome's bot order fix and Nelsona's bot-path randomiser.

Rage:
Small map with only one very frontal way in. Yes the way splits up due to many obstacles but it's actually very straight forward.
The layout gets more interesting inside the bases, with a little Z-axis gameplay. But till you can even enter the base awaits you the opposing team right behind the doormat.
With two frontal entries are the chances very high that you get fragged in the moment you set foot in the enemy base.
What actually happened a lot. But with enough pressing you can make it into the base and better split up then to use the many ways to the flag to spread and weaken the opponents power.

One redundancy ...this boots are useless. If you try to use them you only bump into the ceiling and get smacked down.
review01.png
Fluxx:
Very open and wide map with a lot of Z-axis play. Some places look a little bit dull and the very long corridors are a feast for sniper/camper. But you have at least the opportunity to "sneak" around those sniper spots. All in all great gameplay in a very wide and sometimes dull map.
I have to test it with my RocketGib set up.
review02.png

I changed the whole layout of CTF-Rage, but it is the same size. This time no useless boots :D
Im still woking on it, some lights and textures may not be ready yet.

papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

That's not only Rage you are showing, right? That's Fluxx as well... or am I wrong?
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

papercoffee wrote:That's not only Rage you are showing, right? That's Fluxx as well... or am I wrong?
No you are wrong. The Screenshots are showing the new designed map which was Rage before. Some Textures are like in Fluxx.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

SkYlInE wrote:
papercoffee wrote:That's not only Rage you are showing, right? That's Fluxx as well... or am I wrong?
No you are wrong. The Screenshots are showing the new designed map which was Rage before. Some Textures are like in Fluxx.
Oh... I thought this section here shows Fluxx
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

papercoffee wrote:
SkYlInE wrote:
Oh... I thought this section here shows Fluxx

The middle Area now is a lowee and higher section so you have different ways to enter the base
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

So this is the result so far, bot pathing could be better, maybe im gonna work on that later. For me it looks better than the one before. Hope you will enjoy it somehow.

Feel free to download it :)
SkYlInE
Average

Post by SkYlInE »

I've got told that there is a problem in starting this map, i fixed the problem and re uploaded it here. Should be working now, if not let me now it plz.
Attachments
CTF-Rage][nl.7z
(5.57 MiB) Downloaded 34 times