Extreme dry season in Europe

Discussions about everything else
Chris
Experienced

Re: Extreme dry season in Europe

Post by Chris »

papercoffee wrote:How hot is it in the Scandinavian region right now ...I try to get a job maybe in Denmark. I want to flee from two issues... unemployment and the always hot and moist weather in Cologne.

btw. Moved to off-topic
Very hot and humid. We've got a huge amount of wildfires in Sweden, they had to call in support from lots of nearby countries and it still wont get under control.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:And...well now they are also mowing the grass short everywhere, making the area the more drier. Even though there's no agriculture anymore in these parts, they mow the grass for no reason other than it being "order of the municipality".
In the name of Zeus, I see this everywhere too. The 2 centimenters of dead dry yellow grass have been mowed down this very week for no damn reason except that it's a habit and because I guess you can't let the two poor garigue flowers trying to survive bloom in the perfectly mowed desert of grassy dunes the elderly want around their homes.
Then of course everything's deader than dead and everything turns to thick mud when the rain finally comes back in the winter, as there's no vegetation left to absorb the water. Everything is dumb. It's not just that things are bad, people are doing all they can to sabotage what remains fine.
But I'm not worried for this grass though, it will probably be covered in asphalt in a few years to support another mall or something.
Yea well, I once tried to speak to them mowing the grass.

I said "Do you have to mow this too? Look how beatiful it is."

They went like "We donm't decide, we have ordersss"
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, today here in Portugal (namely Lisbon) it will be 44ºC, so today we're going to break records, we never had this temperature before.

These days have been so hot, I actually stayed at work late just to enjoy the AC.
I wouldn't mind to go to work these days just to enjoy the AC.

Now this weekend I am in "full passive" mode.
Just sitting in front of the computer, a good fan fully on covering all the bedroom, spending all the time browsing and seeing videos and episodes and stuff, and this will be essentially my weekend until I go back to work next Monday.

As for the conspiracy theories... let's just say that there are the actual scientists, and then there are the armchair pseudo-scientists whom take their time writing and arguing in forums and other similar places instead of doing actual research.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Chris wrote:
papercoffee wrote:How hot is it in the Scandinavian region right now ...I try to get a job maybe in Denmark. I want to flee from two issues... unemployment and the always hot and moist weather in Cologne.

btw. Moved to off-topic
Very hot and humid. We've got a huge amount of wildfires in Sweden, they had to call in support from lots of nearby countries and it still wont get under control.
Oh damn nooo... this is awful.
Where are you?

We'll face Tuesday 38-39°C ...in the steam pot named Cologne.
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:And...well now they are also mowing the grass short everywhere, making the area the more drier. Even though there's no agriculture anymore in these parts, they mow the grass for no reason other than it being "order of the municipality".
In the name of Zeus, I see this everywhere too. The 2 centimenters of dead dry yellow grass have been mowed down this very week for no damn reason except that it's a habit and because I guess you can't let the two poor garigue flowers trying to survive bloom in the perfectly mowed desert of grassy dunes the elderly want around their homes.[...]
Yea well, I once tried to speak to them mowing the grass.

I said "Do you have to mow this too? Look how beatiful it is."

They went like "We donm't decide, we have ordersss"
They have contracts here to mow the grass 5 times a year. They have tu fulfil it or they won't get the next contract. IT IS SO DUMB ...the contract is more important than any common sense.
Feralidragon wrote:Well, today here in Portugal (namely Lisbon) it will be 44ºC, so today we're going to break records, we never had this temperature before.
Oh fucking hell.
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

papercoffee wrote:
Chris wrote:

btw. Moved to off-topic
Oh damn nooo... this is awful.
Where are you?

We'll face Tuesday 38-39°C ...in the steam pot named Cologne.
Right now I'm sitting on the couch... with a beer, in front of the TV.. somewhere South (Busan) in South Korea. I am from Sweden though, and according to my relatives it was super hot and super dry. Now apparently it's cooled down (according to google) to around 26C! The humidity is definitely not as bad as here. We've got around 36C with 75-85% humidity, it's freakin' awful. I don't want to know what my electrical bill is going to be. I've ran the A/C for almost the whole month.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Chris wrote:75-85% humidity
That counts as almost dry in Cologne... :ironic:

Yes I'm joking.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

At 13:00 it was already at around 40ºC (104ºF), and even so the temperature was still like "this ain't even my final form", and at around 16:00-17:00 it really peaked at 43-44ºC (111ºF).

Icecream starts melting right away outside the fridge, we have to drink quite some more water than usual, and during the morning an emergency SMS was sent to everyone in the country about the high probability of fires and to look out for them, people are forbidden from doing anything that consists in "fire" in some way even if the safer spots (a man who usually does some barbecues near me was prevented by the police), plus, a lot of parks were closed completely to the public for now, including the biggest one that we have, and even electricity failed slightly a few moments ago (didn't really fail, but we noticed the brief voltage shortages).

This is without a doubt the strongest heat wave we have ever faced.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Lower Michigan, 90 F and high due point humid. it's friggen hot. We also need rain it is coming though, next week. We had have some good rain but more scattered not storms that dump this year.
But it has been really nice out, just so nice like perfect.
Binary Space Partitioning
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Feralidragon wrote:At 13:00 it was already at around 40ºC (104ºF), and even so the temperature was still like "this ain't even my final form", and at around 16:00-17:00 it really peaked at 43-44ºC (111ºF).

Icecream starts melting right away outside the fridge, we have to drink quite some more water than usual, and during the morning an emergency SMS was sent to everyone in the country about the high probability of fires and to look out for them, people are forbidden from doing anything that consists in "fire" in some way even if the safer spots (a man who usually does some barbecues near me was prevented by the police), plus, a lot of parks were closed completely to the public for now, including the biggest one that we have, and even electricity failed slightly a few moments ago (didn't really fail, but we noticed the brief voltage shortages).

This is without a doubt the strongest heat wave we have ever faced.
As much as I hate to say this: can you hold the hotness there till it's over. They are predicting that after you survived it, we will be next in line, the upper west countries.
I am not sure about Scandinavia......... Or send it to the moon!!! I don't care.... We already survived 2 heatwaves.....

But much "COOLNESS" wished and sent upon you all. :tu:
may the icecube FORCE be with you.

This member can only post when permitted.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Chris wrote: Right now I'm sitting on the couch... with a beer, in front of the TV.. somewhere South (Busan) in South Korea. I am from Sweden though, and according to my relatives it was super hot and super dry. Now apparently it's cooled down (according to google) to around 26C! The humidity is definitely not as bad as here. We've got around 36C with 75-85% humidity, it's freakin' awful. I don't want to know what my electrical bill is going to be. I've ran the A/C for almost the whole month.
Interesting that you and I are in the same country. I'm up here in Seoul though, where we're now at a 'cool' 36 as well. PM me sometime and maybe we can hook up. I'm on vacation until September. :tu:
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

Carbon wrote:
Chris wrote: Right now I'm sitting on the couch... with a beer, in front of the TV.. somewhere South (Busan) in South Korea. I am from Sweden though, and according to my relatives it was super hot and super dry. Now apparently it's cooled down (according to google) to around 26C! The humidity is definitely not as bad as here. We've got around 36C with 75-85% humidity, it's freakin' awful. I don't want to know what my electrical bill is going to be. I've ran the A/C for almost the whole month.
Interesting that you and I are in the same country. I'm up here in Seoul though, where we're now at a 'cool' 36 as well. PM me sometime and maybe we can hook up. I'm on vacation until September. :tu:
That's awesome! Your first time in SK? Sure, I'm going to Japan over a night next weekend. After that I planned to travel from Busan to Daegu then to Seoul to meet up some new friends. Not sure when that will happen though. Otherwise you can just jump on a KTX train and get down to Busan.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Chris wrote:
Carbon wrote:
That's awesome! Your first time in SK? Sure, I'm going to Japan over a night next weekend. After that I planned to travel from Busan to Daegu then to Seoul to meet up some new friends. Not sure when that will happen though. Otherwise you can just jump on a KTX train and get down to Busan.
Well, I've been here for a long time Chris. Let me know if and when you are thinking about coming to Seoul and have a good time in Japan.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

weather topic uniting people! :gj:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Terraniux wrote: As much as I hate to say this: can you hold the hotness there till it's over. They are predicting that after you survived it, we will be next in line, the upper west countries.
I am not sure about Scandinavia......... Or send it to the moon!!! I don't care.... We already survived 2 heatwaves.....
We can survive it alright, it's not the first heatwave we get like this so my country was somewhat well prepared, and certainly won't be the last one, we have been getting heatwaves like this one right before or during summer for the past 10+ years, but it just so happens that this one broke records so it's the biggest one to date, by around 2-3ºC compared with the biggest we had before a few years ago.

Although the elderly and pets (dogs, I have one for instance) are the ones who suffer the most, the former for obvious reasons, and dogs (pets in general) because they have no clue why is it so hot so they don't really know what to do like we humans do, and so they drink about the same amount of water during the day as usual, when they should drink more, so I had to keep a close eye to my dog to check if she was still enduring it enough and not getting dehydrated.
My brother cooled her head off with water too, and I have been sharing the fans with her, to make her as comfortable as possible until the temperatures drop.

And I have an elderly neighbor who confessed to my brother today that she didn't feel very well yesterday, so it's been that rough.

In my own case (as well as many others), I have it worse (as well as my neighbor in the same floor) than most of my neighbors because I live in the last floor of a building, with a huge skylight and almost no insulation whatsoever, and we get hit with a very strong greenhouse effect here.

The consequence of this (it's a 3rd floor btw) is that the heat we have at this floor is often very close to the temperature outside. Meaning that if it's 40ºC outside, at this floor it's probably around 38ºC, while the rest of the building, from the 2nd floor and below, it cools down by a lot, often by between 5 to 10ºC compared to the outside temperature, meaning the rest of the building to be at around 30ºC to 35ºC, if not less at times, making the temperature a lot more bearable.

I have been living here for probably a couple of decades already, so I know what happens during hot days, so I am kinda used to it, but it's still quite hellish, and amazing how while you're going upstairs (we don't have elevator either), it's all cool and fine until the 2nd floor, but as you go up those 2 sets of stairs to the 3rd floor, it feels like you're entering hell.

Fortunately, it seems tonight the temperatures will drop more severely, and temperatures will be more normal starting tomorrow.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Similar problem here with the windows being only towards the sunset and nowhere else as it's a small flat.

I have the same problems as the elderly/dogs though. Even though officially my age is not that high. You have to keep in mind others who differ and might have health problems.