Discussions about UT99
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Contest question

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:Destructable/destroyable brushes by JackGriffin
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4877
Nope ...those are all mover which disappear with a nice breaking effect.
You can't let mover touch each other.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

The destructibles were a neat little thing to use in specific circumstances where you needed something to be destructible. Size doesn't matter so long as the number of them is very low and like paper said they don't touch. The problem with movers is occlusion. The engine get's confused when rendering multiple movers in a line of sight and you get the flickering. As far as I've been able to tell there is no way to play legos in UT like the constructor gun would need to do.

That being said I was talking to Bob about this very thing and mentioned a potential (ugly) workaround I was thinking about. You could make a constructor gun that placed objects like I'd need and every so often you could have the server reboot. Something like every couple of hours when players are on. A mod would convert the placed mover blocks into an ini list and those could be then converted to regular BSP and the map rebuilt. In essence your work would be saved into the map itself. You could flag blocks to be removed, etc.

It's not an ideal solution but it would allow a builder server to work...I think.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You can't manipulate maps on the run (bsp wise). And lights as well. You would have to rebuild the map in the background and save it as another map and then let everyone reconnect to that new map. :omfg:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

That's not....entirely true ;) There are ways around everything you mention. In a strict sense lighting can actually be changed on the fly, I just don't like to do it since it requires accessing the client's console. The only lighting thing you can't mess with is the baked in lightmap. In my unreal server I have a remote control that let's you change lighting at will. As for BSP I helped on a project last year where there was a map that changed on the fly. You should look it up. :loool: There are decent answers for all of this.

Kidding aside I'll chat you in private about methodology. This is something I might do someday and I'll just keep it close for now. End result is yes, there will need to be versioning of the map as people build in it but to an extent it is controllable.
So long, and thanks for all the fish