UnrealEd crashing

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Tyr
Skilled

UnrealEd crashing

Post by Tyr »

Hi folks,

my editor is crashing everytime when i scrolling around in the 3D window with the following error:

It seems that it happens when the camera is too close to a sprite rendered in the 3D view. I have a new monitor (34" 3440 x 1440px), could that be a problem? Other than this, i didn't changed anything.

Anyone experienced a similar problem and has a solution for this?

Thanks

Tyr
Released:
Tyr
Skilled

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by Tyr »

I've discovered that, if i'm using unrealed in a maximized window it's crashing immidiately when i move to close on actor sprites in the 3D window. If i decrease with witdth of the window to (~2560px) it's working without problems.
Released:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

What render are you using? I use software render cause d3d one crashes sometimes.
If you're on Win10 you should deselect the screen optimization.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

I'm using software rendering. After further tests you can fix the crash by setting the viewport to "floating" and resize the editor views a bit. Unfortunately the settings won't be saved, which i another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Please avoid double posts Tyr, we allow our members to edit their posts. :wink:

Now to your problem.
Tyr wrote:another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
It seems this thread is about a similar issue viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12935
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Tyr wrote:Unfortunately the settings won't be saved, which i another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
I have the same problem, I also have a problem that sometimes some actors get their bHidden set to False when saving the map.

Did you install UE 2.1 directly into the System folder of UT?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

papercoffee wrote:Please avoid double posts Tyr, we allow our members to edit their posts. :wink:
Sorry, i'm conditioned by other forums where you have a limited timeframe to edit a post. :D
papercoffee wrote:Now to your problem.
Tyr wrote:another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
It seems this thread is about a similar issue viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12935
I've tried that already, no effect. :(
Released:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It is really helpful for consistent lighting and colour to use the same renderer as you play the game with.

In your UT config change

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
WindowedRenderDevice=SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice
and in your UnrealEd.ini change the viewport devices

Swap them to use a modern renderer and now compressed or highres textures are not broken in UEd, and in UT the player and bot selection windows also get upgraded :tu: