UnrealEd crashing

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Post Reply
User avatar
Tyr
Experienced
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Germany (NRW)

UnrealEd crashing

Post by Tyr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi folks,

my editor is crashing everytime when i scrolling around in the 3D window with the following error:

Image

It seems that it happens when the camera is too close to a sprite rendered in the 3D view. I have a new monitor (34" 3440 x 1440px), could that be a problem? Other than this, i didn't changed anything.

Anyone experienced a similar problem and has a solution for this?

Thanks

Tyr

User avatar
Tyr
Experienced
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Germany (NRW)

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by Tyr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm

I've discovered that, if i'm using unrealed in a maximized window it's crashing immidiately when i move to close on actor sprites in the 3D window. If i decrease with witdth of the window to (~2560px) it's working without problems.

User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by PrinceOfFunky » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 pm

What render are you using? I use software render cause d3d one crashes sometimes.
If you're on Win10 you should deselect the screen optimization.
Image

User avatar
Tyr
Experienced
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Germany (NRW)

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by Tyr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm using software rendering. After further tests you can fix the crash by setting the viewport to "floating" and resize the editor views a bit. Unfortunately the settings won't be saved, which i another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9268
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by papercoffee » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Please avoid double posts Tyr, we allow our members to edit their posts. :wink:

Now to your problem.
Tyr wrote:another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
It seems this thread is about a similar issue viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12935

User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by PrinceOfFunky » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Tyr wrote:Unfortunately the settings won't be saved, which i another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
I have the same problem, I also have a problem that sometimes some actors get their bHidden set to False when saving the map.

Did you install UE 2.1 directly into the System folder of UT?
Image

User avatar
Tyr
Experienced
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Germany (NRW)

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by Tyr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 pm

papercoffee wrote:Please avoid double posts Tyr, we allow our members to edit their posts. :wink:
Sorry, i'm conditioned by other forums where you have a limited timeframe to edit a post. :D
papercoffee wrote:Now to your problem.
Tyr wrote:another problem. Under file menu there are always the same 6 map names i had opened years ago. When i open a new map, the mapname is temporary added to the list. After reopening the editor the new map is gone and the old maps are there again. I'd checked if some config files are read only but the aren't.
It seems this thread is about a similar issue viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12935
I've tried that already, no effect. :(

User avatar
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 pm
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist
Location: Kernow, UK
Contact:

Re: UnrealEd crashing

Post by Dr.Flay » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 am

It is really helpful for consistent lighting and colour to use the same renderer as you play the game with.

In your UT config change

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
WindowedRenderDevice=SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice
and in your UnrealEd.ini change the viewport devices

Swap them to use a modern renderer and now compressed or highres textures are not broken in UEd, and in UT the player and bot selection windows also get upgraded :tu:

Post Reply