Disappearing crosshairs?

Discussions about UT99
PKP-Stinker
Novice

Disappearing crosshairs?

Post by PKP-Stinker »

I've just started getting back into UT and have been installing a lot of packs. Now I notice on some maps (or maybe it's server specific) I have no reticle/crosshair, though I can fire and see it's hitting. I can't see any gun in my view either, except the translocator.

I've searched here but couldn't find anything similar.

thanks

BT
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Disappearing crosshairs?

Post by esnesi »

Hey man, such problems can be nasty!

Do you use any custom crosshair, or just the standard one ?
And did you checked that your weapon model is not hidden?
You can check this at preferences->game.
PKP-Stinker
Novice

Post by PKP-Stinker »

Good ideas - thanks. I made my settings incl xhair Default now but I just tried one server and everything was normal, then tried another server and no weapon in view or xhairs. So perhaps it's server specific.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

PKP-Stinker wrote:I can fire and see it's hitting. I can't see any gun in my view either
This happens if the server offers a weapon but does not force the client to download and load the package containing the weapon. Probably the server admin has forgotten to add the package to the "ServerPackages" of his server's INI file.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PKP-Stinker
Novice

Post by PKP-Stinker »

That would make sense. I've only been to a few servers so far, so maybe if I keep checking out servers eventually one of them will push the weapon files to me. I take it that's really the only way to get new/mod weapons.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

PKP-Stinker wrote:eventually one of them [the servers] will push the weapon files to me
yes, you have the package in your UT cache then, but in order to use it properly, it must be loaded into memory also. This is always done with the ones listed in a server's ServerPackages.

I'd try to contact the server admin.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett