The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote:So I gather the contest has a RULE specified: "No existing older MAP is allowed".
Please read the rules at the first post of the first page. I never stated this would be not permitted.
I said in my PM that it would be uncool ...but that's my own opinion.
And the contest is already running. Therefore, changing the rules, which were intentionally very lax, is a clear "not gonna happen".
You want to enter the contest with an unfinished and unpublished but already premade map... go for it.
This contest is for fun.

If anyone can't agree to this, you are free to leave the contest.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

*walk in oldman mode* Gosh frakking darnit! missed the first month of the contest and I ain't got diddly squat to show for it.

I'm not sure I will be able to join this time around. My personal life is a bit of a mess at the moment, between my mother passing on a few months ago and everything attached to that and my volunteer work I'm not really in the state of mind to bite down in this contest.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote:My personal life is a bit of a mess at the moment, between my mother passing on a few months ago and everything attached to that and my volunteer work I'm not really in the state of mind to bite down in this contest.
Oh shoot ...that's always tough. My father passed away February. I feel you.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Sorry, mates, I guess I'll have to bail out on this one. I have larger projects to work on (specifically, a 2D topdown Java shooter game), and I already attempted creating a map for the contest (it failed – see respective thread CTF-AMC-FloatingDoom). I can't slow things down!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

C'mon Gustavo... you have time till the 10th of December.
Just take a break and then look at your map again ...and finish it.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

And let us know if you could use some help. :agree1:

I can help you out with the skybox if you want.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I would say half-time is coming closer. :mrgreen:

I'll post an WIP thread of my map in the next days. :wink:
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Everybody is finishing their projects and showing awesome WIPs and here am I stuck in pre production because I busted my hand and am not allowed to use the PC :lol:
Also using old projects, not cool bros, i mean it is one thing to utilise asstets or rooms from previous projects but finishing the project as an entry mehhhhhhh
Well truth be told what matter is having fun right? :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

XaNKoNII wrote:and here am I stuck in pre production because
The same for me. But my map needed a little bit more thinking to get everything right.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

XaNKoNII wrote:... Also using old projects, not cool bros, i mean it is one thing to utilise asstets or rooms from previous projects but finishing the project as an entry mehhhhhhh ...
Just so you people ALL know -- I am _NOT_ entering an old map in this contest. I am releasing "old" maps NOW, not for the contest.
I am making a NEW map - no one has seen it because it does not exist yet.

I will be using prefabs, meshes, and custom textures -- because mappers do that -- and custom textures, vehicles, decos, trees, plants, rocks, FX and other do-dads are necessary in order to make an awesome map!

I am sure the judges will take the "old" factor into consideration when scoring the maps, which will NOT apply to me :D

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

" I am making a NEW map - no one has seen it because it does not exist yet. "

uh huh, sure, it was an old thought, no deal :loool:

I hope you do have a map :thuup:
Binary Space Partitioning
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

FraGnBraG wrote: I am sure the judges will take the "old" factor into consideration when scoring the maps, which will NOT apply to me :D
Unabashed lobbying months ahead of time.... This guy contests.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

banging an idea around (a mash of sorts) --> an urban themed ctf face with something zippy and crazy going on in the middile - like wootabulous - space, dunno about that yet - doesn't have to make any sense :P
you'd have trump tower one side facing the hilton or empire state building on the other, or maybe some another famous tall building (or maybe something crazy like godzilla)
I could have monorails linking the towers to the middle, or some other vehicles - strangeloves? can those work at the map level or do they need to run on a server?
hmm...
Does this sound fun or just stupid?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

FraGnBraG wrote:banging an idea around (a mash of sorts) --> an urban themed ctf face with something zippy and crazy going on in the middile - like wootabulous - space, dunno about that yet - doesn't have to make any sense :P
you'd have trump tower one side facing the hilton or empire state building on the other, or maybe some another famous tall building (or maybe something crazy like godzilla)
I could have monorails linking the towers to the middle, or some other vehicles - strangeloves? can those work at the map level or do they need to run on a server?
hmm...
Does this sound fun or just stupid?
It sounds AWESOME!

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I agree, does sound awesome.

BTW it bears being said that there is a TON of collaboration happening behind the scenes with this contest and that's super encouraging to see. Mappers are helping each other at a rate that I haven't seen in a contest. You guys should be proud and I'm REALLY looking forward to the things to come from the contest.
So long, and thanks for all the fish