TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Gui

Post by OjitroC »

Dr.Flay wrote:DM-2019 is an Angelheart map for UT2003. There is a bigger version for 2004 (the older version will play in 2004)
There is a version for UT99. As with all Angelheart's maps, this is a great looking map with lots of fine detailing. It's not all that playable with bots though being quite tight in places and because of some of the structures etc in the streets - really designed for LAN play by humans.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:I think I've played the second one but can't remember the name
Deck-420 One of my favourite Deck maps.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: Deck-420 One of my favourite Deck maps.
Thanks for that - I have it but hadn't played it until now - it's really well done, great textures etc - certainly an excellent version of Deck and great fun to play.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OjitroC wrote: There is a version for UT99. As with all Angelheart's maps....
That needs substantiation.
Angelheart certainly didn't make all maps for all versions, so someone else must have remade them with BSP
Those Bladerunner maps are almost all meshes, so will not port in a useful way (UT99 only has cylinder collision).
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Dr.Flay wrote: That needs substantiation.
Yes, it's by Angelheart. Here's the readme in full
Spoiler
================================================================
Title : DM-2019 (beta)
Release Date : 5-5-2002
Author : Angelheart
Email Address : jcfal@clara.net
Web Page : http://home.clara.net/jcfal/

IMPORTANT NOTE !
All my UT maps are now available here:
http://phatcat.animedominion.com/angelheart/
Thanks to Phatcat, Anime Otaku and all round top guy :)

Here's what to do

DM-2019 in Maps
BRsnds in Sounds
BRdeco in System
BRdeco2 in System
Brundeco in System
BRunpak, Runrintex, Runrtex in textures

I'm calling this version a Beta because Its not finished,but as I don't think
I may ever finish it, I thought it best to release what there is.
so it is a bit rough around the edges. But the more I looked at It, the more I found to do
and I have a life to live as well.
It was an experiment in over reaching.
I always knew it was bigger than me but I always knew I would try it one day.
The Movie is just so fine in every way. Nothing in here is mine, it all belongs to
the extraordinarly creative team of people who worked to produce the Movie.
Its a kind of tribute, in a way, for what its worth.
To read all about these people, and to find out just about all you could ever
want to know abour Blade Runner, I happily send you here
http://www.bladezone.com/

All those Deco's obviously = bad game play and dreadful frame rates. But it is playable, even on my humble P3 500. I had some Idea of doing a lite version, but I have seen enough of this map to last a lifetime now and am glad to see the back of it, for awhile anyway:)

Please enjoy it for what it is, a little bit of escapism for Deckard wanna bees :)

wow glad thats over :)
============================================

Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
Please don't use anything from this zip without my permission
A lot of it is ripped from other sources, but it still took a lot of
time and effort to produce.

----------------------
PS Here's the map for those who would like to try it out - as Angelheart admits, the gameplay is a bit problematic. For the screenshot, see Carbon's post earlier in this thread.
DM-2019.zip
(18.1 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

I remember playing both UT2K3 & UT2K4 versions of this Blade Runner map, but I had no idea there was a version for UT99. Thanks for the link.
HeartBreakKid

Post by HeartBreakKid »

Hi, Yesterday I have updated my windows 10. After that D3D9 Render not working perfectly. Very lag in frames. Can you please fix it. I have uninstalled latest updates then is working perfectly.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

HeartBreakKid wrote:Hi, Yesterday I have updated my windows 10. After that D3D9 Render not working perfectly. Very lag in frames. Can you please fix it. I have uninstalled latest updates then is working perfectly.
How about the updated OpenGL Renderer?
HeartBreakKid

Post by HeartBreakKid »

UnrealGGecko wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Hi, Yesterday I have updated my windows 10. After that D3D9 Render not working perfectly. Very lag in frames. Can you please fix it. I have uninstalled latest updates then is working perfectly.
OpenGL looks fine. But brightness issue is still there (I mean cant increase or decrease brighness in OpenGL). That's why I switched to D3D9. Is there any updated version of Direct3D that supports UT99.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

HeartBreakKid wrote:
UnrealGGecko wrote:
OpenGL looks fine. But brightness issue is still there (I mean cant increase or decrease brighness in OpenGL). That's why I switched to D3D9. Is there any updated version of Direct3D that supports UT99.
hmm - I use OpenGL (whatever the last one was) seems fine to me - yes it is brighter, but I thought that was more likely due to the large BenQ monitor I use with UT99. You can adjust brightness in-game using the F11 key.. Did you try that? I find what used to be fine at 5/10 is now the same at 4/10... so stepped down by one. I typically have the monitor set to 60% bright/60% contrast (that's so I don't go blind - On PC I use two monitors normally. :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
utplayer
Novice

Post by utplayer »

For the sound crackling issue mentioned in the guide, in my experience with Realtek audio under Win7 a pretty reliable fix is to disable and reenable the output device in Win7 audio panel before starting the game, it's a good alternative to jacking up the latency a lot in the .ini. Also it's likely a good idea to match sampling rate to what is set in Windows in order to avoid resampling.

Also worth mentioning is to set the game to run on 1 thread as described in this post, on my i7 2600k I otherwise get measurable intermittent frametime spikes on certain servers/maps that running on a single thread seems to clear up. YMMV.

I've noticed that the game is prone to a weird issue with multi-monitor setups where the game looks like it runs at about 10 fps (despite normal numbers when measured) when displaying anything at all on the 2nd monitor, like a Firefox window. Never had this problem on any other game.

I wrote about a few other unresolved issues in another post so if anyone has some ideas, feel free to comment: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13361&p=112984
Gadavre
Skilled

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide

Post by Gadavre »

Please anwser, Is the game running perfectly and without freezes with DirectX9 renderer on windows 10 ?
What about OpenGL (utglr37) on windows 10 ?
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

I would like to install Windows 10, but if these Renderers are not suitable for this system, then I see no point in installing
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Win 10 here, no troubles with either, might need some extra tweaks in the UT settings or switching between the 2 renderers in the worst case scenario.
Gadavre
Skilled

Post by Gadavre »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:51 am might need some extra tweaks in the UT settings or switching between the 2 renderers in the worst case scenario.
What settings are you writing about? I searched for articles about optimizing the game on windows 10 for a long time, but I couldn't find anything.
I want to install windows 10 but am afraid of noticing performance or graphics issues. On windows 7 with all the tweaks and renders from this topic, the game runs perfectly

who has windows 10? Please test the game with these renderers. Possible, if the result is normal , some forum members will install windows 10
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

We should update this (or make an updated version of this) for the newer OldUnreal patch versions.

Or maybe we should have a wiki. After all, heck, BeyondUnreal is dying, and OldUnreal is focused on, well, singleplayer Unreal. And other UT websites are at the verge of dying out as well (to be fair, not much more than this one). Make a wiki!

I sorely hope the v469 patch can generate renewed interest and spawn new community members, new projects, and new discoveries. Until then, we're at the mercy of Epic's interests - and I really, really would not want to trust them and their feuds.

Age of Empires 2 is not open-source (as far as I know), and yet it's still stronger than ever, thanks to actual updates and an actual e-sports scene. Since Microsoft dumped PC gaming (and basically gave it to Valve, with gift wraps and everything), it's hard to imagine that they can do that. And yet, they can.

If Epic really cared about Unreal even just a little bit, they would have made a modicum of effort themselves, even a little batch of bugfixes, to show that they still care about this game being alive. Do you realize how it can actually earn them money if they update the game and make it popular again? Then again, make it open-source and you don't even need to care to begin with - people who care would make your profits for you.

That's why I don't want to trust them and their feuds. Besides, they would probably rename Last Man Standing to Mini Battle Royale in the int files if we gave them the chance!

Makes you think, how much id would not have earned by selling the IWAD data files had Doom source ports not been a thing. Carmack, the usual fuckin' genius, transcending space-time like an absolute god, big chad disguised as a nerd <3
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction