NEW MUTATOR IDEA?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
~{kRiD}~
Average

NEW MUTATOR IDEA?

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Just wondering if it's been done yet, if not why? Dunno why I am just now thinking of this but ...

Every wonder what it'd look like if you actually WORE the vest/pads you picked up? kinda how the belt gives you the glow over effect, but actually have the armor/pads appear on the player char like a skin>?!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: NEW MUTATOR IDEA?

Post by papercoffee »

You can't add any stuff to the vertices animated player model.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

That's not...totally accurate paper. Go over at OldUnreal and look at the swamp titan: https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1345670574 That was done to the base titan model. I pestered Q to find out the process but he never wrote a tutorial on how he did it. At least we know it's possible to do.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Correct me if im wrong but couldn't we use Wormbo's EnhancedItems and track the armour ammount, had it display an icon perhaps via HUD or something?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

JackGriffin wrote:That's not...totally accurate paper. Go over at OldUnreal and look at the swamp titan: https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1345670574 That was done to the base titan model. I pestered Q to find out the process but he never wrote a tutorial on how he did it. At least we know it's possible to do.
Actually... what Paper said is quite accurate indeed.

What you have seen is already described in the first post text:
This is a package which includes Unreal vanilla pawns edited in some extent (I mean, meshes mostly but other things as well)
meaning that there's really no science to it: he just exported the models, opened them in a 3D modeling program, edited them (model and animations), and imported them back to Unreal.
It has nothing to do with attaching stuff to vertices.

Having that said, Unreal 227 does have functions to be able to attach stuff to the mesh vertices, exactly with the intent the OP described: to wear hats, armor, that sort of thing.
However, UT99 doesn't have any of such, so it's quite impossible to attach stuff to vertices as is.
But a native extension could be made to add this functionality, as at the native level you have access to this stuff (I experimented with something similar myself years ago when I was making my first steps into the native code), but native extensions are relatively hard to maintain and distribute reliably.

But one thing I personally intend to do in the future, is to map the existing vertex locations of each player mesh for each animation in a separate structure, and use this map to "attach" stuff to those vertices, where based on the mesh used, scale, etc, along with the frame being played, I could then tell where each vertex would be. But this would be specific maps generated from specific meshes, with potentially an external tool yet to be written, and not a general purpose solution of course.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Ferali it was explained to me that he didn't model it in the normal way. I understood it as manipulating the existing vertices of the model's mesh and not doing the changes in Blender (for instance). I could very well be mistaken though so I'll ask Bob to clarify it for me. I know a couple of people were super interested in getting Q to post his methodology.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

I do honestly believe that you misunderstood it.
Anything to do with the vertices themselves is only possible in Unreal 227, which has the functions for it, while UT99 doesn't.

I would very much like to be wrong about this, but this is an issue that I personally stumbled upon, and even tried to approach natively as an experiment.
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

i'm curious as to what these "functions" might be >?>?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You are very likely right that it's confined to 227. I know that you can manipulate selected joints in the skeleton, etc. Haven't seen Bob today but when I do I'll get the complete story from him and reply back.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

JackGriffin wrote:I pestered Q to find out the process but he never wrote a tutorial on how he did it. At least we know it's possible to do.
I once asked Z-Enzyme at UnrealSP for editing the stock models and he gave me the tutorial video link he made.

Link:

That video really helped me and that is how I added the WeaponTriangle in my SkaarjWarrior model.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Aren't they the same person? Oh man, I can't wait to sit down and watch this. I've been fascinated by the results for a long time and wanted to see how it's done. Thanks for posting this Spectra.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yes, they are.
Just watched the video, and reminds of myself when I was painstakingly working on sprites and textures with different colors (one at a time, and save).

But it's clear that it's the way I mentioned before: he exported them, modified them and imported them back.
Nothing to do with vertex manipulation itself, at least in the perspective of the engine itself.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What about a second player model (of the same model of course) but thicker with parts masked.
Similar to the shield-belt effect but not really.

Ok I shut up... I'm a little bit drunk.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

While not a bad idea (and it wouldn't need to be thicker, just overlay), that would mean that you would need to edit every single existing skin (only 1 per mesh) to make the same thing for every player mesh.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You can do this in 227 as is. Things can be attached to the joints and they articulate along with the skeleton. I've seen tests of backpacks, toolbelts, stuff like that attached to the model with script.

Bummer I was mistaken about the Swamp Titan. I understood that completely wrong.