The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by Feralidragon »

JackGriffin wrote: BTW it bears being said that there is a TON of collaboration happening behind the scenes with this contest and that's super encouraging to see. Mappers are helping each other at a rate that I haven't seen in a contest. You guys should be proud and I'm REALLY looking forward to the things to come from the contest.
Which is one of the whole points of this contest: mappers bringing their A game and put forward awesome maps, all the while helping each other so that each map is as great as it can possibly be regardless of each mapper individual skill.

This is a mapping contest, where the maps are the stars of the show, not a mappers contest, where each individual mapper skill would be evaluated instead.
Unfortunately, not everyone got the memo.

Keep it up everyone. :)
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

bah, it's a real shame I can't join in this year -_- this contest is getting cooler by the day
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I have a map it will be MH and probably won't be awesome, but I don't dare enter my name yet because I don't have a gameplay idea for the map I made.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

have some vague ideas in my head, more of a feeling, a blurred picture of some scenery, not much more...
what i don't have recently is time... not that was able to manage it too well when i had some :)
Virgile
Average

Post by Virgile »

Hi guys. To be honest I miss so much time that I don't know if I can provide a map in time, I think to cancel... :(
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Virgile wrote:I think to cancel... :(
No... You have still over a month time for this. Take a deep breath drink a coffee (NO TEA, A COFFEE!!), collate your thoughts and map away what comes in your mind.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I'm clearly fatigued out of Unreal mapping. My attempt (CTF-AMC-FloatingDoom) wasn't good, so I just released it away and tried to submit another map, but I didn't have any ideas for another map.

So, I'm sorry, but I'll have to abstain.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

I think most of you are missing the point of this contest, it´s super relaxed regarding directives/rules and timegoal. Its suposed to be fun, so don´t just give up, if anything make a meme map to entertain yourselves and everyone :loool:
Come one guise, all I got up to this date are 5 drawings; a general mental idea and 4 brushes made in the Unreal ED. Plus I still need to learn how to make a CTF map, but you know what? i got almost a whole month to do it so i´m chill as f*** bros , seriously don´t give up everyone ;)
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Hey guys! :tongue:

So recently I stumbled upon this contest, and guess what... Got excited about mapping again.^^
I then started a small DM-map about a week ago, reusing textures from CTF-Entropy, but with a different color scheme and even slightly crazier architecture. It's still way to early to show screenshots, but I just wanted to let you know I'm working on something... And I'm pretty positive that the remaining five weeks should be enough time to pull it off. So, count me in 90%. ;)

PS: Shoutouts to FnB and Swanky, would love to see some new stuff from you guys! 15 years later, and still around! :rock:
Last edited by Revelation on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Revelation wrote:So, count me in 90%. ;)
I've Put you in the list :wink:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Revelation wrote:Hey guys! :tongue:

So recently I stumbled upon this contest, and guess what... Got excited about mapping again.^^
I then started a small DM-map about a week ago, reusing textures from CTF-Entropy, but with a different color scheme and even slightly crazier architecture. It's still way to early to show screenshots, but I just wanted to let you know I'm working on something... And I'm pretty positive that the remaining five weeks should be enough time to pull it off. So, count me in 90%. ;)

PS: Shoutouts to FnB and Swanky, would love to see some new stuff from you guys! 15 years later, and still around! :rock:
... and AWESOME is in the house :rock: welcome to the compo Revelation! Still about a month left! lots of time for action packed mappage!!

Did you say Swanky is here too - Man I must have missed him!!!! more AWESOME in the house :rock:

okay. now I back to work :mrgreen: (erm, how does that 2-d shape editor work again :noidea )

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

Not enough time for me to submit a map this time, but I would love to promote the contest on my YouTube channel. :)

If you're interested, any participant can send me their map(s) and I can give my honest feedback as a YouTube video. Please include a readme file in your zip, with some background info on your map (what inspired you, what game type, what's your level of experience, etc). I'll provide a link back to here so that viewers can check out the rest of the submissions.

If you're making a map for a particular mod, then you'll need to send me all the info on how to download/install that mod. examples: Monster Hunt, Bunny Track, etc. It might take me a week or so to respond.

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/honeywellz/videos

Please send me a direct message, so we don't spam this thread. Good luck to all participants! :rock:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

That's a very gracious offer. If you guys aren't subbed to him you should be. His voice is made for tutorials and his annunciation is careful and measured. Expect a solid review video done well by someone that knows the editor and engine.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

A little late but why don't you guys have a RETEX contest>? We have soooo many BADASS maps already, but alot suffer from crap textures or need a NEW texture theme!
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

JackGriffin wrote:That's a very gracious offer. If you guys aren't subbed to him you should be. His voice is made for tutorials and his annunciation is careful and measured. Expect a solid review video done well by someone that knows the editor and engine.
I tried to send you a PM but it's stuck in my Outbox. You can email me at smeerkat AT gmail