The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by JackGriffin »

That's my fault. I had not retrieved it yet. When I got home last night I was pretty tired and I didn't reply to everything. I sent you a reply this morning.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Welp, I'm 110% out of this contest. I've been looking for a new place to live and something just popped up.
papercoffee wrote:Oh shoot ...that's always tough. My father passed away February. I feel you.
My condolences man, I hope things weren't too hard (forgot to reply, sorry).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote: My condolences man, I hope things weren't too hard (forgot to reply, sorry).
It's ok ...he had a nice life the last 10 years. I miss him but that's natural.

So back to topic:
Did we got all participants listed?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Let me check.....Yep, I'm in there. Wonder who's getting second place?
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

I don't know of there's a rule that says if someone opted out, that they cannot re-enter if declaring themselves out after first entering; but,. well, if the community says it's acceptable to have an entrant re-enter the competition, I'd like to put myself up for reconsideration to re-enter the competition. I have admittedly had it up to here *points to forehead* with UnrealEditor 2.0 (editing in general, CONSTANTLY thinking about it almost 24/7 gets very exhausting), but I really want the UT99 community to enjoy a map that started long ago, to finally give it to them in its properly finished state even if it's the last thing I do.

I'd REALLY like to make a clear point here of thanking Higor for all his help thus far with the map's optimisation and performance tweaks - thanks fella. I really appreciate the help thus far, you're doing great work! :tu:

I hope it's deemed acceptable for me to re-enter because I want you all to enjoy what I highly suspect will be my very last map. Sorry for what seemed like a UT99 rage-quit a short while ago, (I AM sick of UT99 editing though, that's not in doubt), but at the top of all my priorities is I want to give the UT99 community something back in return for all the immense fun it's given me and the opportunities to get creative, (even if most of my maps have been utter shit lol) since I started playing UT99 wayyyyy back in about 2001 or so.

Peace. :rock:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Don't think we even removed you from the list anyways, so welcome back aboard! :mrgreen:

More of a personal bit, but mind making a list of maps you've prrviously made? I think I've played a few and liked them :P
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Don't think we even removed you from the list anyways, so welcome back aboard! :mrgreen:

More of a personal bit, but mind making a list of maps you've prrviously made? I think I've played a few and liked them :P
Hehe, cool. Ok. :) Thanks!

My maps, Oh gawd,. can I even remember?!

UT99:
DM-Arimia (one of my first, a real noob's map).
CTF-[R3P]-ACID-REDUX-[SLV] A favourite but far from oozing any real design/build finesse. With some layout tweaks, could be good for Instagib.
CTF-[R3P]-668-[SLV] Strange, cheap n nasty SLV map.
CTF-[R3P]-TOXIC-REDUX-[SLV] Large, fast-paced but cheap n nasty SLV map.
CTF-((SMP2))-Cobra-Towers-[SLV] Was released as part of a community map pack but hardly ever played; if only it was a 4096 x 8192 box map with 20 shield belts and 30 keg o'healths, then it'd have been played a LOT more! :roll:
CTF-[R3P]-Knot3-[FIX] Yet another cheap n nasty SLV map, should never have been made, let alone released.
CTF-[SLV]KorarenaMK4c Crap,. but strangely quite fun.

UT2004:
DM-Keramura (cheap n nasty [but scenic in some places] deathmatch map).

I never was a good mapper but it was fun at times while making them.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

well, my available time in November just evaporated...:( I had been working on a new map for the AMC, but won't have enough time to work on it much in the next few weeks. I had been smashing away at fixing up a pre-existing CTF map where the BOTS were really messed up so that was a huge amount of work in October but I did get them to CAP on their own. Still lots of BOT bugs mainly due to the map size - For example tons of "1000 path-nodes reached" errors in the log especially with large player loads. Alas, doesn't matter: i can't use that map for the AMC. Too bad, CTF Big and Ugly is pretty awesome ;)

I will throw out a beta soon - once I tame those pesky bots a bit!

Good Luck
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Krull0r
Average
Personal rank: 227 Emitter Expert

Post by Krull0r »

I managed to finish all my „pre-work“ for my AMC entry. Everything works and looks as it should!
Geometry is nearly done and I slowly reach the engine limitations! :agree1:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Does it mean I'm better than you because I usually explode the engine quite early in the process of making whatever it is that I'm doing?
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

JackGriffin wrote:Does it mean I'm better than you because I usually explode the engine quite early in the process of making whatever it is that I'm doing?
That depends on how you define "better" Jack :wink:
Krull0r
Average
Personal rank: 227 Emitter Expert

Post by Krull0r »

JackGriffin wrote:Does it mean I'm better than you because I usually explode the engine quite early in the process of making whatever it is that I'm doing?

In this case yes ;)
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

I'm thinking of entering, even though it'd be a bit of a rush to put it together in time. One of my ideas at the moment is a map based on an old sega genesis game. Is there any issue including music from it? (it's a dead series as far as I know)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Hmm... maybe try to find a remix or cover or something of that tune that you could use?
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Just to give you a small heads-up: I'm pretty much done with my map's geometry... Somehow I managed to cram over 1500 brushes into a playable area of 3000*2000 UUs. :ironic:
Visible polygon counts peak out at around 1000, but since it's a 1on1-map (or maybe 3 players at most), I don't expect there will be too much action happening at once. So performance shouldn't be an issue.
As for the visuals, I'm quite happy so far. Now let's hope the lighting scheme works out as I hope it will...

But I have another question: What render-mode do you guys optimize your visuals for? I've always gone with Direct3D9 and the latest OpenGL which basically look identical. However I recently discovered D3D10, and for me, this mode seems to be total garbage... Seriously, all my previous maps look like shit! Translucent and modulated textures (especially in combination) don't work properly, brighness levels are way off... So, are you using this? Or still just good old D3D9/OGL?