UT99 cosplay, featuring the ripper

Discussions about UT99
Porch Viking
Average

UT99 cosplay, featuring the ripper

Post by Porch Viking »

So, earlier this year I went to Wizard World Comic Con in Philadelphia. It was my first convention, and seeing all the people in costume inspired me. I started reading up on how to make costumes, and within a couple months I put together one of my own. I went to several conventions this year as one of the Iron Guard soldiers from UT99, with the ripper as my weapon of choice. Late in the season, I remade both the armor and the gun to improve some things.

Version 1: First time out at NJ Gamer Con, and won Best of Show in the cosplay contest. I also posted up my progress pictures for the ripper here.

Version 2: Took this to Thy Geekdom Con, and won 1st place in the Journeyman (intermediate) division of their cosplay contest. You can see more details on the v2 ripper here.

And I'm not done yet! I've got the ChaosUT bastard sword in progress on a table behind me. Also floating around is a somewhat off-model translocator I made as practice. In the meantime, I still have the v1 ripper and armor (minus the shoulders & abs which I re-used on v2), with no idea what to do with them. Anyone else interested in UT cosplay? :mrgreen:

Next year: Since next year is going to mark 20 years of UT, I plan on making Xan Kriegor for some of the larger conventions in my area. The big question is, what weapon should Xan use? The ripper I currently use certainly gets attention, but I'm not so sure the noob-gun fits for the tournament champion. Most of the responses I got on reddit suggested the flak cannon or shock rifle.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: UT99 cosplay, featuring the ripper

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dude that looks awesome!!! :thuup: :tu: :gj:
Good luck on Xan wanna see how that armor will turn up, maybe the flak or rocket launcher for him?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, that's a nice cosplay, the Ripper itself looks very nice.
:gj:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Looking awesome!
XAN maybe with the Redeemer ;) ?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Can't MetalFists paper art scale up to work with something like this? You might have to get the sheets printed at Staples or an industrial printing outfit and get it done on card stock or thick posterboard but seems to me like you could make a bunch of associated things to go along with having the ripper as the central item. Stuff like a life sized blade hopper or rotating pickup. It would be light and super cheap compared to a build like this.

Really good job OP, btw. Just curious, how many people know that when they randomly see it? I still get people walk past me and say "M-m-m-monsterkill" and such when I wear the red/blue team shirts in Eugene.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Oh man, that's awesome! Great job! :mrgreen:

Btw, Xan with flak cannon!
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Duuuuude very cool cosplay.

Xan with Shock Rifle or Rocket Launcher.
And the Ripper isn't a noob weapon ...just a little bit spamy.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Very cool indeed! Good job! I was thinking about doing something like that too as my female metal guard soldier years ago. Xan would definitely use the rocket launcher.
Like Jack said, you could scale up my papercraft patterns to get the original shape. You would have to cut some faces probably to fit it on smaller cardstock or print on a bigger sheet.
Anyway here is a link to all of the UT papercrafts, including the rocket launcher and Xan:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Unreal-Tournament/

edit:
Here is a step by step link for resin: https://makezine.com/projects/halloween ... and-bondo/
I personally think "Worbla" is nicer/lighter material to work with than resin.
Here's another example:
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Hey Porch Viking, I like it! :gj:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

JackGriffin wrote:Can't MetalFists paper art scale up to work with something like this? You might have to get the sheets printed at Staples or an industrial printing outfit and get it done on card stock or thick posterboard but seems to me like you could make a bunch of associated things to go along with having the ripper as the central item. Stuff like a life sized blade hopper or rotating pickup. It would be light and super cheap compared to a build like this.

Really good job OP, btw. Just curious, how many people know that when they randomly see it? I still get people walk past me and say "M-m-m-monsterkill" and such when I wear the red/blue team shirts in Eugene.
I know I've heard of cosplayers using papercraft/pepakura stuff, but I think UT99's models are a bit too low-poly for that to look right scaled up to full size. I did fill some giant test tubes with blue gatorade as health vials for a secondary prop, but I didn't have a good way to carry them with me.

As for recognition, I got at least a half-dozen people at each convention who recognized it. About a third could actually put a name to it, while the rest were more "ooooh holy crap it's that thing, what's it called again?". I did have a couple people nail the whole thing and straight up ask "Woah, are you Brock?"

Metalfist wrote:Very cool indeed! Good job! I was thinking about doing something like that too as my female metal guard soldier years ago. Xan would definitely use the rocket launcher.
Like Jack said, you could scale up my papercraft patterns to get the original shape. You would have to cut some faces probably to fit it on smaller cardstock or print on a bigger sheet.
Anyway here is a link to all of the UT papercrafts, including the rocket launcher and Xan:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Unreal-Tournament/

edit:
Here is a step by step link for resin: https://makezine.com/projects/halloween ... and-bondo/
I personally think "Worbla" is nicer/lighter material to work with than resin.
Here's another example:
See above about the papercraft. It is cool to see them all in the real world though! As for the methods you linked, I definitely agree the Worbla looks a lot friendlier. I may have to give that a try on some upcoming builds.

Oh, and give the Metal Guard cosplay a try! Version 1 of my costume here was my first attempt, and I found it pretty easy to put together. All I did was watch a bunch of videos about the process first, and then did what they showed. I bet the worbla link you posted will be helpful with all the details on the Metal Guard uniform.

Edit: Actually on re-reading your post, did you mean you already did cosplay Metal Guard?
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

I did make a paper version of the mask and adjusted it to my face. I didn't continue on it, bcs lack of time and you would hav to search for the right materials. You did reignite the idea though ;p. I also saw that the girl from the video made more costumes with EVA foam and its supposed to be cheap. I maybe thats also a good material to try.
The papercraft models also dont fit a body precisly so its better to trace over yourself to have a custom fitting and is comfy.
You could add a (shield ;) ) belt and hang those health vails on it. For recognision an u damage would help too ^^