Big Ugly CTF map needs feedback !!!!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Big Ugly CTF map needs feedback !!!!

Post by FraGnBraG »

**NEW DOWNLOAD LINK **
Download CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly.zip (FINAL)

Please read the readme for BETA-2 --
Thanks to everyone for looking at the map :)

CTF-BigAndUgly-BETA1:

This one :P This is the last rebuild of an old map design of mine (a DM map actually) that dates back to year 1999-2000, originally built in Unreal Ed v.1.

Somewhere around 2002 it was "imported" into UED2 but subsequently re-brushed the whole thing.

Since duplicating a map to make two CTF bases was a common practice among mappers, I tried that with this one, and connected the two sides. voila!
The thing never worked out for a variety of reasons and so was canned. I did release some other CTF maps around that time though, SpaceJunk, Rusty, etc.

Eventually rebuilt "ugly" into a giant map with many paths - of course the bots never worked - couldn't cap or grab to save themselves. Plus it took forever
to run from one flag to the other, even though there are several shortcuts along the way. It wasn't until UT99.org produced XPickups that the large ctf layout
had any chance of being speedy and fun!

So I refurbished it again this time for XPickups and now seems like it's fun. Well, I think it's fun. Erm, potentially fun. Well, maybe it's not fun :/
Okay - I don't know. I'm obviously biased. Beta Testers will put me straight.

Suggest brightness F11 = 5/10. OpenGL. 15 masterful or Inhuman BOTs (so teams of 8). The higher difficulty is more for the human.
A human can avoid the bots pretty easily, and the lowest level makes things even easier. Anyway please post comments and opinions.
If you don't like something please say so. I can change whatever, no probs...

This For AMC ???

So this thing has had a lot of effort. I cut it down, re-brushed parts and changed the layout as necessary and fixed a lot of bot bugs. etc. There's still bugs though, which i'll still try and fix.
Since the map I planned did not work out, I was hoping to enter this map in the AMC contest - considering the amount of work I put into this over the last month+.

So if it is okay for the contest then I'll add some details, sounds and FIX some shitty lighting, and have a map in the contest for December. Otherwise, I won't have a map at the party :P

So here it is ... CTF Big And Ugly Beta-1

CTF-BigAndUgly-Image03.jpg
CTF-BigAndUgly-Image19.jpg
CTF-BigAndUgly-Image14.jpg
CTF-BigAndUgly-Image15.jpg
CTF-BigAndUgly-Image16.jpg
Last edited by FraGnBraG on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Big Ugly CTF map needs feedback !!!!

Post by JackGriffin »

Your 'big and ugly' is my 'unattainable'. I hope you know how blessed you are to have that kind of talent.

If you want to test this let me know and I'll put it on my server as a vanilla CTF.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

JackGriffin wrote: If you want to test this let me know and I'll put it on my server as a vanilla CTF.
that would be great Jack!!! many thanks!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Map do looks perfect but I need to play it a bit for detailed testing. I went ahead for some feedback in order to not forget what I saw in firsts two minutes:
- IntroDude0 is useless completely into void without a purpose;
- All SmartAlternatePath are Wrong set. They switch SelectionWeight if are Touched. Function Touch is NOT called where bCollideActors=False so to speak it won't work as on its purpose, I know this actor because I've checked it some months ago;
Aside for this actor, growing SelectionWeight without capping it somewhere and going back for more randomization, means a poorly coded thing, a simple line checker followed by a "reset" would be probably more helpful than actual code.

Code: Select all

function Touch( actor Other ) {
	local SmartAlternatePath A;
	if ( Level.TimeSeconds - ReTouchTime >= 4 )
		ReTouchTime = Level.TimeSeconds;
		foreach AllActors( class 'SmartAlternatePath', A )
			if (A != Self)
				A.SelectionWeight += 0.5;
}
I would use this:

function Touch( actor Other )
{
	local SmartAlternatePath A;
	if ( Level.TimeSeconds - ReTouchTime >= 4 )
	{
		ReTouchTime = Level.TimeSeconds;
		foreach AllActors( class 'SmartAlternatePath', A )
		{
			if (A != Self)
				A.SelectionWeight += 0.5;
			if (A.SelectionWeight > 8) //If too big might be useless
				A.SelectionWeight = 0.5; //and then get back to default letting it to grow again at next touches
		}
	}
}
In other case perhaps code would be more wise to check its collision in PostBeginPlay and to adjust itself if it has been wrong mapped - or disabling touch for some time using a state, etc., etc. Options here are a lot...
EDIT:
Fixed - added all required brackets.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I got your map up on my server FnB: unreal://71.11.65.100:7777

Tested it and it played. I'll give it a thorough playthrough later today when I get home from taking the wife out. BTW it needed 'noxxpack.utx' to run. You might double check the dependencies and repackage the zip to include anything you missed.

Anyone else want their map put onto my test server just let me know. I'll send you any logs, etc if you want to look at them. I'll send you the admin password too if you want to ghost check things.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote: So if it is okay for the contest then I'll add some details, sounds and FIX some shitty lighting, and have a map in the contest for December. Otherwise, I won't have a map at the party :P
Allowed ...now get this map finished or I whack you with a ladle!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've only played this a bit so far but it's an amazing map :tu: In my short runthrough, the bots got and lost the flags several times and seemed to work fine.

I did notice one 'bug' - there's a large tube that propels a player to an upper level (can't really describe where it is); on entering this one either dies ("left a small crater" and the log says 'fell out of the world') or the map fatally freezes (the former happened with normal UT weapons and the latter with Counter Strike weapons).
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Thanks for the replies everyone :) I have started a BETA-2 map so I can add any fixes, etc.
OjitroC wrote:...I did notice one 'bug' - there's a large tube that propels a player to an upper level ...
I couldn't get this to happen to me... do you recall which base the tube entrance was in?
JackGriffin wrote:... BTW it needed 'noxxpack.utx' to run. ...check the dependencies...
hmm... I have always released to GOTY (ut v436). noxxpack is included iirc.
I usually mention GOTY is required in the map's readme file, I might have missed that here.
papercoffee wrote:... Allowed ...whack you with a ladle!
Thanks! and please don't whack me :) that would hurt!
sektor2111 wrote:... IntroDude0 is useless completely into void without a purpose;
fixed. deleted. I used to use introdudes for comparing size of things, like doors, ledges, etc. then delete them.
I have no idea why that hidden introdude was there ... weird!
sektor2111 wrote:... All SmartAlternatePath are Wrong set. They switch SelectionWeight if are Touched. Function Touch is NOT called where bCollideActors=False ...
Thanks sektor -- Not sure about this - the Actor was coded by Micheal Rippon (Bot_40) and used in many CTF maps. It has had a lot of testing by many mappers.
Example map "Disposable heroes" (CTF-DisposableV155) by Chrysaor - he does use a lot in there! however the FlagCarrier BOT appears to randomize in this map and bCollideActors=False.
Bot 40 explaine me how to use the actor way back when and I don't recall any steps mentioned other than place it as regular altpaths and set the starting selection weight and base team #.
Perhaps Touch() is autoamtically triggered because SmartALternatePath is a Navigation Point? I don't know, but looking in the actor browser bCollideActors seems to be False in Navigation Points.
I'm not sure the selectionweight value would matter, would it? it is just a number (a double?). I would think increasing by 0.5 each time is a very small increment - the match would probably be over long before the max for the numeric is reached.

Okay - I set up some triggers + special event to message/see if the randomizing is occurring when bCollideActors=false. If it works I'll leave it as-is, if not then i'll change it to true.
DejaVu - think i've done this before and don't believe bCollideActors needs to be changed ... we'll see what happens...

Thanks
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

FraGnBraG wrote: I couldn't get this to happen to me... do you recall which base the tube entrance was in?
Tried it again just now with normal UT weapons - in the Red base tube, I die ("left a small crater") and the log reports that the player and weapons fell out of the world; in the Blue base tube, the map just froze (no errors in the log, which is truncated). Using Counter Strike weapons, I get a fatal error in both tubes (to do with the render overlay of the weapon I'm holding) and the map crashes.

If it works OK for you though it may be something in my setup that causes a conflict so if no-one else reports this happening then perhaps you shouldn't spend too much time on it.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

OjitroC wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote: I couldn't get this to happen to me... do you recall which base the tube entrance was in?
Tried it again just now with normal UT weapons - in the Red base tube, I die ("left a small crater") and the log reports that the player and weapons fell out of the world; in the Blue base tube, the map just froze (no errors in the log, which is truncated). Using Counter Strike weapons, I get a fatal error in both tubes (to do with the render overlay of the weapon I'm holding) and the map crashes.

If it works OK for you though it may be something in my setup that causes a conflict so if no-one else reports this happening then perhaps you shouldn't spend too much time on it.
"fell out of the world" implies a collision error where the node/surface is displayed but it's really a "hole" (not a hom).
That whole tube business was just me doing my-own ctf-hallofgiants style zoomer tubes - the setup is the same except for swjumpads...
Actually if you try ctf-512k-hallofmidgets and see if you die in those tubes... maybe it's you weapons mod?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

FraGnBraG wrote: Actually if you try ctf-512k-hallofmidgets and see if you die in those tubes... maybe it's you weapons mod?
No problems using the tubes in CTF-512k-Hallofmidgets.

I get the problem in BigAndUgly with normal UT weapons as well - it's just that the end result is different (fatal errors using the CSS Weapon mod and map freeze or dying using normal UT weapons). The 'falling out of the world' seems to happen at the top of the tube(s) on emerging from what I take to be a water zone.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Post your log file right after this happens. I think I know what's wrong.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

JackGriffin wrote:Post your log file right after this happens. I think I know what's wrong.
I've just tried using both tubes 6 times.

Using UT weapons - both tubes - the map freezes at the top of the tube where the textures change and the log is truncated in the middle of loading mutators (so nothing to indicate the nature/cause of the freeze). The same thing happens with Counter Strike 1.6v2 weapons. Note that, for some reason, I no longer get the dying/left a small crater and fallling out of the world.

Using Counter Strike Source v1.1 weapons, there is a critical error resulting in the map/UT crashing. This time there is stuff in the log
Spoiler
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: Index<=ArrayNum [File:..\..\Core\Inc\UnTemplate.h] [Line: 502]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Success. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: USkeletalMesh::GetFrame
Critical: (SkeletalMesh CSSWeaponsv1_1.M4A1Mesh)
Critical: URender::DrawLodMesh
Critical: (SkeletalMesh CSSWeaponsv1_1.M4A1Mesh)
Critical: DrawMesh
Critical: URender::DrawActorSprite
Critical: URender::DrawActor
Critical: UCanvas::execDrawActor
Critical: (Rifle_M4A1 CTF-FNB-BigAndUgly-BETA1.Rifle_M4A48 @ Function CSSWeaponsv1_1.CSSWeapons.RenderOverlays : 03AE)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (MMRumiko CTF-FNB-BigAndUgly-BETA1.MMRumiko0, Function Engine.PlayerPawn.RenderOverlays)
Log: URender::DrawWorld anomaly
Log: MMRumiko0 fell out of the world!
ScriptWarning: Pinata CTF-FNB-BigAndUgly-BETA1.Pinata0 (Function Pinata.Pinata.ScoreKill:0130) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: Pinata CTF-FNB-BigAndUgly-BETA1.Pinata0 (Function Pinata.Pinata.ScoreKill:0130) Accessed None
Log: Rifle_M4A49 fell out of the world!
Log: Pistol_Glock1 fell out of the world!
Log: Grenade_Frag7 fell out of the world!
Log: TFemale2Carcass0 fell out of the world!
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: NULL
DevMusic: Unregister music: Music Isotoxin.Isotoxin
Warning: glxStopOutput() failed: 6
Log: All Windows Closed
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Log: LoopCount: 1305
Localization: No localization: MiniLauncher.General.Exit (int)
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Critical: UObject::StaticExit
Critical: appPreExit
Exit: Exiting.
With just a pistol (Glock) from this mod I don't get this critical error but still get the map freezing.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Another file mismatch :x

Name: XPickups.u
Size: 23671862 Bytes (22 MiB)
CRC32: 3C32278C

Name: XPickups.u
Size: 22751110 Bytes (21 MiB)
CRC32: B22C44B3
<EDIT>
UnrealTournament.log wrote: swjumppad0: ERROR: Could not calculate JumpSpeed U=[kickout200] PN=[Barbie] N=[swjumppad0] D=[swjumppad86]
swjumppad7: ERROR: Could not calculate JumpSpeed U=[kickout100] PN=[Barbie] N=[swjumppad7] D=[swjumppad5]
But no other abnormalities like deaths or crashes at the tubes.
</EDIT>
<EDIT2>
Is there a special reason for being bWaterZone=True for the tubes?
</EDIT2>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've tried the tubes without any mods or mutators; using different models; using different renderers; without XC_Engine. The result is the same - death or the game freezing; the only difference is that without XC_Engine the game just crashes and closes immediately on entering the tubes. Nothing in the UT log and nothing that I can find in any of the Mac logs to explain the crash. A mystery but one that's not worth any effort in solving as I can just avoid the tubes.