CTF-Final Face

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
LegacyAuthor
Novice

CTF-Final Face

Post by LegacyAuthor »

Hey, me and a guy named Shinigami made a pretty cool Facing Worlds mod back in 2001, yeah right before 9-11.

I see a lot of CTF-Facing Worlds still going. Anyone want to try CTF-Final Face?

https://www.megaupload.us/Tpk/CTF-FinalFace.zip
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: CTF-Final Face

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Welcome aboard!
For those, not wanting to wait, here: http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Maps/ ... alface.zip

Also, gonna move this to Mapping :P
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It's an nteresting variant, nicely and cleverly done. Personally, though, I'm not a big fan of automatic cannon in DM or CTF maps, especially in the areas where players spawn.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Some preview pictures would be nice.
LegacyAuthor
Novice

Post by LegacyAuthor »

OjitroC wrote:It's an nteresting variant, nicely and cleverly done. Personally, though, I'm not a big fan of automatic cannon in DM or CTF maps, especially in the areas where players spawn.
I did that because, at the time, spawn camping was pretty bad. The damage is light, but enough to stop people from sitting on the back wall ledges and camping. That's also why I moved the spawn points behind the fortress as well as added weapons back there.

The biggest advantage is see-through portals. Hit-scan rounds like rifles don't go through but projectiles do. No more hammer camping!

I moved the flag to the back, which made sense and Shini updated the graphics.

Let me know how gameplay feels if you load it and what server you're on. I'd love to drop by!
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

LegacyAuthor wrote:Hey, me and a guy named Shinigami made a pretty cool Facing Worlds mod back in 2001, yeah right before 9-11.

I see a lot of CTF-Facing Worlds still going. Anyone want to try CTF-Final Face?

https://www.megaupload.us/Tpk/CTF-FinalFace.zip
Map fails to launch in the game. Package missing: Factory.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

R3plicant wrote: Map fails to launch in the game. Package missing: Factory.
I think Factory is this texture file

[The extension utx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A bumpy question:
If these versions don't have AnyTHING new for A.I. why would I use them ? Both TeamTrigger actors are set for team 0. Guys, are you having problem with team 1 or you are just ignorant as usual ? Did anyone figure error messages which might spread a stupid Cannon never done for a CTFGame ?
Once again what is this "final" term ? When map is final is just another junk with errors ? That's the meaning ? I'm going for more beta then. And who is camping behind any base ? Player from the same team as cannon team ? So what ? What's the deal ?
Thanks, now I go to delete this crap with nothing fixed, has the same BlockAll in BlueBase. PulseGun add-on ? What for ? The range of this weapon is a mess.
As for the answer at first question: No, I don't want to try this because I can see what was done here... adding more borks instead of fixing map.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I also would never call a piece of software "final" in any way - how could I know that there no errors any more?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Agree...

Perhaps I won't be bad intended to setup a tutorial in how to crash a 436 server running this warping "awesome" thingy...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Once again what is this "final" term ? When map is final is just another junk with errors ? That's the meaning ?
It's just the name of the map
CTF-FInalFace Readme wrote:The reason that this map is called FINAL FACE is because we hope it to be the LAST Face clone and everyone can now go on and do other things.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Thatquote wrote:we hope it to be the LAST Face clone
Why would be the last ? What's logic here ?
Rolling back a "movie":
I was trying to solve those "holes" from "Blue" in the past doing various builds, was "entertaining" to see first re-build test what was doing, not even U227 did not do too much as messed up as it is. I've quit wasting time because first stuff needed here is a GOOD geometry which I wanna see who did what, when, where, names, etc. and NOT BlockAll things.
The "best" habit of game-servers is backing up such a garbage and I had to do various stunts for getting rid of such "stock". Original Face is still there because I have no replacement right now, but soon I'll get over automated server restore and I'll setup CTF column WITHOUT ANY FACE from any kind - as my best polite response at those wasting time with duplicating bugs instead of fixing them. There are better CTF maps to be used - (including mine with only 10 Brushes).
Some day I will reconstruct this "Face" theme as I consider...

Edit: A recall
@Barbie: We had some private chat about whatever bStatic stunts and networking setup. I have a recall that I used for original boulders removing bStatic but having them ON-Line in whatever junk a la CTF-Face map which I slapped in 2015 - but I still don't like geometry there...
When such an actor is screwed from bStatic, it won't be visible in client unless you do another stunt for networking: set them bNoDelete. In this way won't be removed at Level Initialization but they are definitely visible in client and will have some rotation like real asteroids if some tweaks are done. All setup has to be completed with bAlwaysRelevant, no bStasis, RemoteRole ROLE_DumbProxy, NetPriority 2, UpdateFrequency 20 or less. They are 10 pieces so are not damaging network in a big manner... The rest of blabbering here (Final Face) is fascinating, surprisingly vacuum zone being leaked in main zone is not killing anybody because probably ActorEntered is not called at spawning player/etc. or zone has already properties of ZoneInfo existent there, else this map would be a default killer. And it was "final" :loool: .
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bump timer expired:
Here it is probably an A.I. balanced version, useless LiftExit types removed, some ammo won't fall, original asteroids boulders are now visible On-Line.
As a fancy thing, a few AlternatePath actors have been added.
This is what I'm using:
[attachment=0]CTF-Face_Rv19.7z[/attachment]
before latest XC Editing features - from now on it's time for better things.
Attachments
CTF-Face_Rv19.7z
(534.46 KiB) Downloaded 43 times