MH-SValley2

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Aldebaran
Masterful

Re: MH-SValley2

Post by Aldebaran »

Barbie, I have tested v1 of your SBMutFixTeleportersURL with this map now and it works fine.
The map ends when touching the monster hunt end icons.

:gj:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:and it [SBMutFixTeleportersURL] works fine.
Nice to hear. :)

I also tested playing the map and found more issues:
* only one PlayerStart
* there are a lot of brushes that exist only visual - if you try to stand on it, you just fall through

Whoever wants to rework this map: I'd replace all these very unnecessary complex brushes and also do a Permanent Transformation on them (most of them have a Main-/PostScale different to 1).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

The brushes that exist only visual - if you try to stand on it, you just fall through is the bsp-holes i talked about and thats why this not worth even try to fix..
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Even the original file svalley2.unr (CRC32: CFE6EA2E) from the single player package "Shamuquest" has BSP errors, not only the MH version. Furthermore the complex brushes have created 63 or more zones what is impossible for the engine to handle. I agree with fixing this map is not worth the (probably) lot of time it will take.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

From 2016 to 2018 something has triggered a conclusion. My conclusion here: this a result of a computer learning or learning computer. "Save As" was unknown by a dude but suddenly he discovered the moon, a MH "mapper". This is definitely a nothing than a copy with MH Prefix.
Do you want to fix this, or this two years old bump it's pointless ? I see nobody replied here toward this problem, so let's bring some lightning...

As a few facts about this map as less expert which I am, if you want to check it from a far away angle in Editor's ViewPort definitely Editor goes stuck. Semisolids into void... etc, etc. This it's full crap. Worth more debates ? Maybe some genius will help here, that one who think that fixing a map it's easier than doing a new one - Good Luck ! There are 35 monstesr in a supposed map, I'm curious about 40 Players (some server has this cute number) how can manage the score hunt aka MonsterHunt from now days and all of them spawning in a single PlayerStart. Seriously... Whoever ported this map to a MH map has grave mental problems...

Now excuse me, but maybe I will attack this one to see if I can do something better here toward this MH garbage.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's still a good map though. trying to fix it would be pretty hard to do, just use block-alls. :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:Do you want to fix this,
I tried to fix it, but as I wrote above:
Barbie wrote: fixing this map is not worth the (probably) lot of time it will take
sektor2111 wrote:or this two years old bump it's pointless ?
It is not pointless, because it contains new information: Sometime mapper who convert maps to MH do something wrong and then it might be easier to convert the original map again than fixing the spoilt converted map. It is a new fact that the original map already has these BSP errors.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:It is a new fact that the original map already has these BSP errors.
I cannot be 100% sure about a new thing, we have already the evidence that already has the same content: 1 PlayerStart, TranslatorEvents never seen ON-Line in MH, a "huge" number of 35 monsters and maybe a few lost ones spawning here and there, paths are utter crap, some glasses are not breaking from both sides, etc... This is nothing than a "Save As" after setting up game-type "monsterhunt.monsterhunt" in a pathetic SP episode - an editing failure after all, I can bet that it was not even rebuild because by simply inspecting map Editor goes stuck - at least this it's what I see. How many teleporters does a Level need for traveling game ? Maybe 1024 :omfg: ? One definitely was not enough.
Also making a deal with this will take less time by rebuilding something similar like a remade from Brush0 rather than wasting time with "original" here... just saying...
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

YOU PROFANED THE MIGHTY CHICOVERDE! You shall be PUNISHED!

You are UNWORTHY OF THE MAsTER!

*summons QUADSHOTGOD!*

BEHOLD THE GOD OF ALL QUADSHOTS, THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE!

btw here are my old attempts on fixing the map
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C ... alley2.rar
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C ... lley2f.rar

one of them might have better bsp but still requires fixing holes with blockalls, other problems have been solved though
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

:tu:
If you had more tries to do something, I'm curious to see what it's about... unless something like a MapScale will be helpful or hell knows how can be this thing recovered. I'm still thinking if worth efforts of recovery. Btw, ChicoVerde it's not the same guy as that Chico who Ruined Packages? If yes, maybe that guy is the mother profanity and I'm only the child :lol2: =)).

:idea:
No one wants to get this for a remake toward AMC contest ? Just wondering...
Or maybe we want a recovery team-building contest where 3-4 people sorted as champions have some homework together: recovery of such junk products aka maps and giving some quality for community. Rules:
- No critical BSP (killer BSP) is accepted;
- Bot/Monster Pathing - must have something out of stock when possible;
- full Network Play compatibility;
- document with some facts around fixing process - original mapper should have knowledge about his insanity - better later than never;
- no credits - usually in our country we are swearing people spreading trash than giving them credits - personal thoughts - but they do still react in the same way (this is another chapter);
- optional screenshots with original screwed area and the same fixed area for relevance;
- optional a hidden spot/place in map triggering a few messages around fixes/hints/whatever for instigator curious about small details if he/she wants to be a future mapper (- like in map Those_Seasons).
Last edited by sektor2111 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I have no clue what you mean by that? Ruined Packages?

But seriously, chicoverde is one of the best known mappers of all time dude. He also worked profesionally on the series later on starting with ut2004, uc and had special thanks in ut3. Not to mention other games he worked on.

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/she ... Id,129075/

His mapping style improved after the first shamuquest, technically, but it never had the same sense of scale ever again, so these maps are a godsent in that sense....
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:I have no clue what you mean by that? Ruined Packages?
Here ?? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11992
Here also was a topic with packages and sudden addiction for the same named content making self stuff unplayable - this is an unknown style of mapping from a "best mapper". May I go to sleep ? I'm feeling tired.

As a non-mapper or a mapper with zero skill which I am I would NEVER EVER release such a garbage making a bunch of "low skilled" mappers to fix the mess released for no purpose. MH converted version ? Where is MonsterEnd ? It has been eaten by Cat. Reference is here the mostly toward the "master" who ported it to MH, and for original, that one will never see my hard drives.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

No. You will not get any sleep you heretic! Chico will be burning you with hot coals...

And yes, that appears to be him though I am not sure if al of those map versions/package versions are really by him and not third party edits....

It's hard to tell. There is now also rumor that his first commercial thing might have been that votlan level, since he's french...from the french unreal bonus cd (the same level that was extensively fixed/remastered for the flp release). The original level in question had a killer bsp in the electric chair section, it killed you each time there even though it was optional going there it's not good for a level that ends up on a friggin cd endorsed by french gt interactive! LOL

We don't fucking know who did that level for sure but it's a possibility it was chico's first stunt.

edit:
ShamuQuest remains one of the lost gems of Unr mapping. What I mean by that the first pack is 3 maps followed by 3 maps that were never released...or lost in time like some other old content.
Then there was shamuquest "2", a prequel pack to be followed by another 3 maps, again unreleased.
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C ... /Sham2.rar here's a fix I did for sham2, for the non ut release as that was a bit of a broken mess.

But these maps are what he released after the first shamuqest, i didn't change the geometry here or even rebuilt from the original originals...
you can see there is technical improvement.
But really, he went onto making dm maps etc and ONP and forgot all about shamuquest....

it's considered one of the holy grails of old mapping, hell a russian edition of Unreal called Unreal Platinum shipped with those levels (not official), but still....

I feel sad that there is such contempt for this. Nobody;s perfect especially when not having betatesters like he did when working commercially later on (the votlan thing hardly counts because that was done in a hurry as a special limited edition thing and it was an edit of cliff's level)
Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:since he's french...
Speaking about french mappers. Let me see:
Respect for HellKeeper, Derdak2Rot, etc. - As a heretic (e-rotic ?), I think these are mappers...

Back in stage. WHO wants to solve this Level ?

In order to continue heretical course I think we need to sample some screens about content for direct evidences. Now I have to move at work, maybe later...
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I edited my last post with more info.

Derdak etc are mappers that came in the later decades. Chico started mapping in 1998 already with limited knowledge/technical skill as his english only really improved past 1999.

There weren't many french tutorials etc back then, so he was kind of a pioneer.

EDIT: I think it would be disastrous if Chico returned suddenly to map for Unreal again. There
s no respect for the old stuff anymore. Just like when Kew returned in 2012, instantly slandered etc. to the point he released illhaven 2012 in a rushed state.
Guess who betatested it to make sure it doesn't end up releasing with bugs? Me primarily...I stepped in quickly and helped Kew out even fixed maps myself to get it out in time.

The guy was out of the waters at that point and went back to Unreal to reminisce about old times and do a fun and relaxing thing, only to be disbelived its him and made fun of by some community members.