Counter message BIGGER ?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Counter message BIGGER ?

Post by Red_Fist »

Is there an actor or a way , for MH, but a way to make it show when a counter says 5 left, 4 left etc etc, but have it show on screen like a special event shows size type bigger letters on the screen and in the center of the screen, or like a monster message shows.?
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Counter message BIGGER ?

Post by sektor2111 »

Hmm... good idea... maybe...
Some people can see well how much they need to eliminate, others cannot see well around because of big messages bugging HUD and will start cursing triggering debates and all that, however I'll study if it's disturbing, if not I can drop a MyLevel-ed sample...
I apology in advance if this counter won't break anything like default one.
Edit:
[attachment=0]MEvType.png[/attachment]
Done !
Conclusions:
- This doesn't look so bad if player has a high resolution;
- If this will trigger a Message it needs Dispatcher for a delay because if Event comes to quickly will wipe "EndMessage";
- Messages are available for all player not only for player doing damage;
- Self Note: I will still use PawnProximity for movers in MH because... even a Monster might do a critical kill and I need to make sure about opening that crap and this won't cost a penny and doesn't hurt fingers while setup it's done using the mouse and keyboard in the same time :ironic: .

Good... if you need this thing allow me to prepare Level and little info because here it's not only about counter, it's one of my demo type Levels with things for MH ready compiled.
Attachments
MEvType.png
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well in my case there is no speed issues like in spawning monsters, I want to try that collect keys idea on a map I am redoing from Wheel of Time. I can't fix all the hom's or some death voids, but I am going to finish it anyway.

But people need to see, and not that little text from a regular counter up in the corner.

What would be cool is have a setting for how long the message shows, I would be about 8 seconds on the screen maybe 5.

It would be a good actor because now you have to have a special event actor and counter each time the increment goes up by one.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I would not like big "Only 1024376 more to go" spamming on my screen... Maybe the last 10 can be shown with a bigger font, but not all.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

No that's not it, I would not want that either, but this is to know how many items picked up (movers that disappear) not really picked up. The way it is now I would need a monstermessage or special event for each one, which will be 32 or 64 times but the player needs to know how many is left.

Also there is plenty of time having to find another key, it can't be fast even if you ran to the next key.

If there was a way to make a monster message use the %I thing or whatever the counter has in it would be the way to go. In other words have it print that number without using actual text that I would have to type in 32 or 64 times, but act like a counter that says "43 left to go" I could trigger an actual message for the last one found.

Actually I was forced to do that on that spillway map, had like 32 separate messages . and other stuff for a different event tag each time.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:If there was a way to make a monster message use the %I thing or whatever the counter has in it would be the way to go.
Just say if you need such again - that can be coded easily.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes I already made the mover-key, just need to place around the map.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It won't need special coding, what I was showing was a MonsterEvent type message, already available without anything special added in a counter which I did before. I thought message will spam screen but it's not that disturbing. Anyway, this is a sample:
[attachment=0]MH-Sk_Those_Seasons_cTb.7z[/attachment]

Contains:
- real statues not frozen monsters triggered by Bots (Bot Support it's available, btw) - two types: static and dynamic (hidden and showing up in different spots);
- Snow/Precipitation Generator (excuse me for removing sh!t bugs out);
- Decorations imported for preventing future mismatches done by "smart mappers";
- Decorations spawning monsters (Bot Support available too);
- Custom factory with extra properties and keypoints for spawnpoints which are not causing paths load;
- Actor randomizer for event assigned to said decorations - critical decoration it's not the same each game;
- Multiple SkyBoxes - no planes here this time;
- Custom Navigation Actors preventing map rushing;
- Custom Counter;
- Custom skins for stock monsters spawned later;
- Did I forgot something ? If yes, this means that I have amnesia.
Attachments
MH-Sk_Those_Seasons_cTb.7z
(4.49 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow, very cool man, :thuup: this map has low enemies, all placed, but adding the search for keys will spice things up. To bad I can't fix all the BSP problems, they made this thing so awkwardly and it's a BSP rip. But it is playable , stupid HOM-collision problems. I will try to make it with blockalls if and when I find a killer BSP hole.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That's why I asked Higor for a debugger, it would save a lot of hours digging especially where mappers used way too complex brushes. That one had 1000+ or such brushes, it takes time to figure where is the problem...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

These server mods are screwing up maps, and NWIII, shoot through walls and movers, see through walls with that sniper ? really ? then I played one map and then I tried another map my electrolyte online.
It seems some movers can't be opened, all I had in my map was a button that ceiling mover did not open then I just stayed on top and shot through the damn mover AND ceiling BSP, the other map I believe was counter, after I killed a large slith I seen the door go up, then pop back down with no way to open it.

I am not liking these over modded servers, every friggen gun has environment shiny-clear, colors all over the place. I don't know but maybe it depends on the type of map but NWII just ain't doing it for me. OR they are adding more mods on top of the weapons.

Another problem was I spawn mantas after you kill 5 slith, well they spawned before I got to the slith all still alive. I should see where I put that counter but this stuff is messing up maps, not more fun.

Then pawns see you through movers right away and start shooting non stock projectiles through the thing , yet another screwage for a map build if you kill off the wrong pawns first since some weapons shoot through movers.

And another thing, it seems the alarm points not working online,MH, all my pawns just sit there.

I checked the mover that didn't work, I did mess up but I have a trigger to make a button work, I trigger the trigger with a mover that tells it to, "other trigger turns on" but I set the trigger to already enabled. It works offline, could it be like some double bool or something ?

The other problem in Electrolyte map is, my sheet mover goes back to keypoint zero online. It is set to trigger only once. The only thing I can think of is I made it move more than 2 keyframes but set it back to only 2. So maybe the server is making it go back thinking it's 3 keyframes. ?

or it could be all that junk on the server.

I think I was on Killerbees server.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You don't have to be worried, AlarmPoint do work On-Line and Off-Line - problem comes with too much modding at MH. When monster doesn't follow an alarm, monster was probably replaced and did not received replacement properly (missing state deal) - or whatever junk added to server is doing sucks at mapper's work. Not the last thing is... PATHING here. If monster cannot see a route and has bNoFail=False then Alarm is removed by monster itself, else it will keep spamming logs.
The rest of troubles encountered in servers means the reasons for looking at them empty form months and years - not all player is playing sh!t which a mad admin is doing and thinks it's cool, because it's not and it never was. One of goals in XC_MonsterHunt and similar ones was to see monster timer running properly - fly monster is triggering errors (Epic here) but alarms are working as should. For fly problem, as always, I recommend to admin replacing function or... replacing UnrealShare/UnrealI properly conformed - problem solved. They won't fix these monster specific states/features, they are just ruining them more with a stupid circus which players aren't loving only a few ones with I.Q. lower than 30 and with no skill and who don't know how that map was supposed to work. I'm not complaining about those servers, if they have money to keep them running it's their problem.
Red_Fist wrote:I think I was on Killerbees server.
I thought that one has only one map, ServerReset map or such :sleep: ...
In 2018 definitely a server might start with a RANDOM map, sorting another RANDOM map after a while. Why ? Because if a map is trouble maker for player it should not stay there for 3 weeks keep server empty all this time or until a power failure is rebooting server.
If you want to test some stuff with alarms let me know and I'll drop it in two locations (a public one and a private one) running on two different machines and you can figure if exist differences. I just need to be in timing with your GMT time. More to discuss is doable on Skype or whatever WhatsUp or something like this - because somewhere I have "rich" a firewall and I need to know when and what IP range I need to unlock.

About movers. Believe me or not, if a mover (like in Mixed map) is annoying and blocking previous area making borks with Bots, definitely I can deploy a separate dedicated patch plugin for it, removing a key-frame or making a key-frame to move the mover in hell or to vaporize mover away, I did this in one map where a mover had no purpose, it was entirely useless. Making a general super-duper patch is harmful because you cannot predict each map how it's done, that's not an answer. If admin thinks that is a solution probably more maps there are not working, player definitely has no purpose to waste time over there.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You are welcome to use my 'scanner' tool. It shows you where the movers are at even if they are hidden. You can also control them regardless of triggers by pointing the scanner at them and then fire to open, alt fire to close. It's been my experience that people won't abuse it once they understand how it works. It's nice to know that you can always skip a section if it bugs out or if you miss some long elevator.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:The other problem in Electrolyte map is
I played your map several times [url=unreal://81.169.240.101:7777/]on my server[/url] and I didn't notice problems. But the map is changed a little, when it is loaded on my server:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

function int PatchMap_MH_Electrolyte() {
local int PatchCount;
local Actor A;
local CreatureFactory CF;

foreach AllActors(class 'Actor', A, 'SkaarjWary')
		if (SkaarjWarrior(A) != None)
		{
			SkaarjWarrior(A).RangedProjectile = Class'RocketMk2';
			PatchCount++;
		}
	foreach AllActors(class 'CreatureFactory', CF)
		if (String(CF.Prototype) == "MH-Electrolyte.SkaarjWary")
		{
			CF.Prototype = Class'UnrealShare.SkaarjWarrior';
			PatchCount++;
		}
	if (FindActorByName('SludgeBarrel16',A, 'SludgeBarrel')) // enables ESR
	{
		SludgeBarrel(A).Health = 500; // mappers choice: 200000
		PatchCount++;
	}
	if (FindActorByName('KeypointCreatureFactory8',A, 'get50puwwmm'))
		if (class'SharedCode'.static.SetPropertyTextEx(A, "prototype", "Class'UnrealShare.Brute'", true))
			PatchCount++;
	return PatchCount;
}
Red_Fist wrote:Then pawns see you through movers
I think that is usual for online.
Red_Fist wrote:Another problem was I spawn mantas after you kill 5 slith, well they spawned before I got to the slith all still alive.
Do you know that a player can activate a factory by touching it? Maybe a player jumped so high that he touched KeypointCreatureFactory21. To avoid such, I place factories into the void or I set all collisions to false.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ahh I was wondering about the collision on Creature factories I reduce all the collisions to 10,10, the place it's at could not have a player yet which only leave a slith to touch it and is up pretty high. on the other side of the mover door are Krall. so those slith either jumped on each others back or got shut up there to hit it or some projectile from the Krall made it happen from a projectile that goes through a mover.

@Jack, is that that handheld thing with numbers you select, ? I have no clue how to use that damn thing or even what it's used for.

Also I don't know if it's a mod or Nali weapons, why oh why did he make a sniper that can shoot through one layer of BSP and movers ? I can understand splash damage but SOME projectiles go through movers and others don't. I am not to fond of those weapons, what seems like huge massive explosions bigger than a redeemer don't seem to cause that much damage. Other weapons that seem weaker kill right away, I just wish he toned down the animations of explosions, it feels like every weapon has so much graphics and the explosions are too much going on, even the smallest weapon. The other thing I object to is using sounds that are sounds pawns make for weapons.

I don't know but the way they have it is you select different ammo for the same gun all lined up that appears to be the playerstarts, all those colors, I have no idea of the purpose of each color and everything is so flashy there is no motive , just walk and grab and shoot whatever the hell they do. And all those translucent, environment skins is not any theme of Unreal, it's they should be for another game.

What I want, is an actor that blocks all server mutators built in the map. I had to do that in UT2004 so my new weapons could not be overiden and another that forced no translocator that would have ruined the gameplay, hate that thing it's exculively for CTF,,,period.

Oh, @Barbie, on electrolyte at the top of the long ramp, hit the button, and the water fills in on the floor (sheet mover), does it go back down ? that really T's me off if it does that for online only.