DM-AMC-2040 [WIP]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Porch Viking
Average

DM-AMC-2040 [WIP]

Post by Porch Viking »

Since I joined, I've been working on a map for the Awesome Mapping Contest. Here is DM-AMC-2040 in its current state.

Quick info:
Gametype: Deathmatch
Players: 12+
Theme: Futuristic city / urban, based loosely on an old Sega Genesis game.
Fun gimmick: Flying vehicles zoom around both in the skybox, and in the play space, where they act as an arena hazard for the damage amp.

DM-AMC-2040 is loosely based on the old Phantom 2040 game on Sega Genesis. From its overworld map, I currently have included the slums, warehouse, university, extinct wildlife museum, and the Maximum building. For the sake of connectivity, I definitely want to add the tube train station and maybe the sewer shortcuts (with warp zones so it actually is a shortcut). The industrial zone, biot factory, space port, and ghost jungle may get cut to keep players from getting too spread out. Even with the current 5-and-a-hollow-shell buildings, the map comfortably fits 16 players.
Attachments
A makeshift bridge connects two more buildings, and offers a U-damage at the risk of getting hit by flying cars. Bridge is very WIP.
A makeshift bridge connects two more buildings, and offers a U-damage at the risk of getting hit by flying cars. Bridge is very WIP.
A lounge area inside one of the buildings.
A lounge area inside one of the buildings.
Turn the corner past the warehouse for more street combat. Concrete barriers provide long-range cover until I can think of something better.
Turn the corner past the warehouse for more street combat. Concrete barriers provide long-range cover until I can think of something better.
Facing north between the first two buildings.
Facing north between the first two buildings.
Facing south between the first two buildings. A crashed delivery truck provides cover, and some boards laid atop it greatly improve the map flow.
Facing south between the first two buildings. A crashed delivery truck provides cover, and some boards laid atop it greatly improve the map flow.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: DM-AMC-2040 [WIP]

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dude, this looks very good! :shock:

Interested how that game looks like, used to own a Genesis for a very short while. Cool to see a hazard on the map too.

Good luck! :thuup:
Krull0r
Average
Personal rank: 227 Emitter Expert

Post by Krull0r »

This map seems to be a good addition to JackGriffins Battle Royale Mod!

Looks good :)
Kajgue
Novice
Personal rank: SEX MACHINE

Post by Kajgue »

Oh man! Phantom 2040 was one of my first games on the Sega Genesis, really pleasant to see somebody pay such high class respect to it.

:tu:

Even the theme tune was banging for such poor sound quality

Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Alright, here's a beta if anyone wants to test it out. It's definitely the best-flowing map I've ever made.

Stuff that still needs to be done:
-Add screenshot
-Build the train station, so exiting the train doesn't just dump you on the street
-Block off the north-east bridge and south-west bridges, since those areas are likely going to be scrapped.
-Flesh out the Maximum tower. It's probably only going to have the bottom 2-3 floors playable.
-Add some better obstacles and cover on the streets.
-Add more exhibits and signs to the Extinct Wildlife Museum, especially on the top floor.
-Add more detail to the University and Slums
-Misc little tweaks throughout.

Known bugs:
-Bots don't get special death messages when killed by flying cars.

Questions for playtesters:
-Would another wrecked-out truck on the road look silly?
-Should I swap the places of the shield belt (aquarium) and damage amp (flying cars)?
-I feel like something should go atop the skylight frame above the university's lounge/rocket room. Opinions?
-I'm considering putting a redeemer in the top floor of the warehouse. Good fit or no?
Attachments
DM-AMC-2040 Beta12-6.zip
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Nice map! Some areas still looks little bit empty but also there are many places to discover.
The only bug - if that's not intended - I have seen so far is that some vehicles crossing the map are rotating around themselves, I think no human would fly with it ;-)
Porch Viking
Average

Post by Porch Viking »

Aldebaran wrote:Nice map! Some areas still looks little bit empty but also there are many places to discover.
The only bug - if that's not intended - I have seen so far is that some vehicles crossing the map are rotating around themselves, I think no human would fly with it ;-)
Thanks for the feedback. There are some spots I'm still trying to fill, yes.

That car is a bit of an easter egg, spinning out of control. It was originally trailing flames too, but those gradually desynchronize the longer it goes. Try listening the next time it goes by though. :mrgreen:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Porch Viking wrote: That car is a bit of an easter egg, spinning out of control. It was originally trailing flames too, but those gradually desynchronize the longer it goes. Try listening the next time it goes by though. :mrgreen:
Yes, I like that, very cool - I hadn't connected the two (the spinning car and the sound) before but now I get it :D

It's a fun map, with lots to look at; anticipating the final version :tu: