CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3 BETA AMC 2018 entry WIP

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
KillRoy1972
Experienced

CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3 BETA AMC 2018 entry WIP

Post by KillRoy1972 »

My entry for the mapping contest.

Pretty straight forward map, simple, fast en fun.

Map is pretty much finished, but needs some beta testing.

What i'm looking for:

-Does the map load (does it include all files needed to run it)
-Botpathing sugestions, especially jump pathing
-The roof area should be restricted, it should flash you screen white, and give you a 10point damage. Seems to work with d3d, but not with openGL (any suggestions)
-missing textures
-maybe some cosmetic suggestions.

Thanx!

(download link under the screenshots)
Attachments
Shot0004.jpg
Shot0005.jpg
Shot0002.jpg
Shot0000.jpg
CTF-AMC-FW3BETA1.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: CTF-AMC-FastandW00tabulous3 BETA AMC 2018 entry WIP

Post by Swanky »

Played the map and it was fun for the most part. Didn't have any issues with missing files.
Fun to see the W00t series being worked on for a map, I always liked the strong colors, but w00t Gameplay was always a bit on/off for me; especially since I have never played it online. Loved the moving monks in the monasteries.

As far as suggestions go:
- The Ambushpoints both need team & priority values, otherwise they won't be used. Bsniping is optional but might help if a bot keeps killing itself with a rocketlauncher
- Bots rarely use the side areas unless they spawn there. You could check SmartAlternatePaths as per Fragnbrag (I think he also uses those in his latest CTF; but I do not know where to currently get it as a standalone download) to make the bots a little smarter. The other side areas were nice populated, though, and have seen solid action over the course of the matches I've played.
- I've seen a lot of bots running around with just the impact hammer. While it's a valid strategy due to all the fixed jumping paths, a few more ammo packs around the map might help
- There are a good amount of player starts that do not have a weapon in sight when you spawn, playerstart 25 and 26 are examples of this. Maybe place a Minigun there?
- Haven't checked the rooftop area, but if it is giving you trouble you could switch it out with a skyzone that kills after a few seconds.

- visually, the area around the flag could use some love. You could decorate the alcoves near the belt and RL, as well as the area directly benath the flag (near Pathnode7, for example).
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

thnx appreciate it!

Skyzone is not helpfull, as it has a nasty bug online with spectators having the ability to touch the flag (if i recall correctly)
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Good layout and map style, I will play this more often... :tu:
The only thing that came into my mind is there are definitively insufficient amount of weapons placed over the map.
The map is to big for only two weapons at each side, also the bots are not a challenge if they use the enforcer because they had not enough time to get a better weapon ;-)
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

Noted! Thans for the input..
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

BETA 2 release

Okay, Did some fixing and tweaking.

-Cleared up some lost pathnodes
-Put is some cosmetic love in the bases and various other places in the map
-Made the item placement more balanced
-Added a new root to the flag base
-Some various texture replacements
-Screenshot now includes the AMC logo
-Hopefully the rooftop restriction is now working. It is working perfect with d3d but seems to have problems with openGL (you will go blind and you will loose health per 10% if working correctly)

Download it and look if you can find any fixes to be made.

Appreciate your input!

Download below:
Attachments
CTF-AMC-FW3BETA2.zip
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

There are a few playerstarts near FlakCannon1 that are team 0 that should be team 1. I'm not sure if those 4 playerstarts should be on top of each other given for potential spawn fragging.
Also, as an OGL user, the rooftop makes my screen go white but I don't take any damage. Flying back down makes things go normal again. You could replace it with a Cloudzone which I can confirm to work. It will Instakill, though.

€ I also tried and copied over the NuclearReactor Zone from my old map CTF-FoT-Selket which was made by Wolf. The Zone will be kill a player in a short amount of time while giving the kill to the player that shot the victim there (if done so). You could also configure kill messages, dieing FOV among other things. So people could get shot onto the roof and stay there for 2 seconds (example figure) before they die. It will also work with OpenGL.
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

Thanx!

Did not notice the two player starts there, fixed it! :-)

Tryed the nuclear reactor zone, and it seems to do the job! :-)

(btw, your map looks awesome!!)

Thanx for the input!