Widespread hashtags to get more players interested in UT99

Discussions about everything else
R3plicant
Experienced

Widespread hashtags to get more players interested in UT99

Post by R3plicant »

I just had an idea,.. If you post ANY content ANYWHERE that's Unreal Tournament or better still, Fortnite related, (pictures, videos, memes, ANYTHING like that),. Use the hashtags: #epicgamesmadeUT99too and #unrealtournamentbyepicgames. Spread the word WIDE as possible that Epic made Fortnite but they ALSO made UT99. In other words, get the Fortniters into UT99.

Post on or to/through:

Youtube
Reddit
Tumblr
Facebook
IGN
Eurogamer
GameRiot
Pheed
Thumb
Medium
Chirp
Ask.fm
Learnist
Whatsapp
Kik
WeChat

Tell your friends and ask them to tell theirs and them theirs etc. Let's tell ALL these (noob) gamers that UT99 exists. Tell them about UT99.org and Epic Games' Unreal Tournament website as well as UT99 gameplay videos and tutorial videos on video platforms (DailyMotion, YouTube etc).

Just get the 2 aforementioned hashtags out there with your pictures and videos so the content shows up in more and more searches. Use the hashtags: #epicgamesmadeUT99too and #unrealtournamentbyepicgames. Send them out week in, week out, repeatedly as much as possible. Hashtags in descriptions, instructions, anywhere you can put them for as long as possible. I'm TRYING to get the Fortniters aware that UT99 exists in the same hashtag,. for example: #fortniteandUT99epicgames etc. Maybe some better hashtag suggestions, but let's keep it simple so they help bind all images and videos into common searches or else I suspect it'll fail.

Better point to where these Fortnite gamers can by the game from too,.. online stores etc where it's legit' but the cheapest legal prices etc (after all, Fortnite's free, gotta make it easy for them to at least try it out, right?!).

Is this a good idea or not? I hope so. What do you all think?
Last edited by R3plicant on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: Widespread hashtags to get more players interested in UT

Post by Hook »

Yes R3plicant you think like I do!
Great idea! :tu:

In addition, post what you did above on other UT99 forums so other UT99 fans get the message also.

Post it on my forum too (see address in my sig)- or give permissions to duplicate your post above elsewhere.
In any case, I am all in with you on this! :gj:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Great idea, i think alot of people use #UT99 on the socials.
isn't a hashtag supposed to be short ?

Or with EPIC recognition: #EPICUT
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

#UT99 #never dies

EPICUT reads more like epi-cut.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It only makes sense to hashtag if the content is anyhow related with that, otherwise it will come off as nothing more than a desperate attempt by UT99 fans for their game of choice to be relevant again 20 years later, which is never going to happen, and which may end up backfiring and having the opposite effect and making the overall playerbase seeing UT99 with disdain over its community acts alone, so don't be that kind of guy/community.

In the case of Fortnite, you may at most create content there that relates with UT99, such as:
- taking screenshots of the UT99 posters they have in the game (they have about 3 of them within some houses: 1 from one of the splashscreens, 1 screenshot of CTF-Face and some other I am not remembering now);
- relate some weapons with UT99 inspiration (such as the guided missile, inspired by the UT99 redeemer, although it was vaulted and is no longer in the game by being too op);
- create specific content that relates with both, such as trying to build a replica of CTF-Face in Playgrounds, or similar;
- make crossover art mixing UT99 with Fortnite;
- etc... the imagination is the limit.

But whichever you do, please do not falsely assign hashtags to Fortnite stuff which has nothing to do with UT99 just because Fortnite happens to be popular while UT99 isn't, that just plainly sucks and, worse case scenario, will stain our community.

Furthermore, if you want people to try out UT99, you should be able to sell the game by its own merits, and not use the fact that Epic developed Fortnite as the reason for it, even because those who enjoy Fortnite are very unlikely to enjoy UT99, especially given its current state where you need a ton of hacks and community patches just to make it work in a modern system most of the time.
This means that the best thing you can do is to create content, servers, experience, maybe even do some streaming, but anything intrusive or "mistagging" should not be pursued.
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

I agree with Feralidragon.
Hash abusing is not good idea to increase rank of game. Someone plays for cool nextgen graphics and not really take care about how the gameplay realised. Some other one plays to get that chaotic arena-shooter experience, like prvides UT, like that provided Quake 3 Arena, and Quake Live. As for last one, i played it before it moved to steam.

The best way to increase game popularity, as i think, is make something rarely unreal. No..i mean UNREAL
There a lot of ideas can be for that. Some extra mods, some extra builds, which change game mechanics, for example. What made Quake popular, except "chaotic" arena shooter style? The movement of player. Remember overjumping, or something..actually i dont know better word to describe that...when you by moving with jumps can increase your speed to insane amounts? That was a bug, yeah. But this bug became one of famous game features.

And now the time where you can think about UT. What actually can do with this game? Everything. I don't remember any games similar to first two from Unreal series, which had amount of mods and custom maps, that amazes imagination.
Why we cant do some extra mod builds, which updates game to be used on modern PC, some giga comunity map packs, which cantains best of maps ever created, or comunity MOD packs with best mods?

Or some packs that contains all of the best tools for modding - converters, viewers, (un)packers etc?..
That all needs time and work, yes...but it is worth to be, to keep game and its online alive.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:don't be that kind of guy/community.
^THIS

ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Do you REALLY want current gamers to find UT99? I just don't want to see old staff/members run off because of
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

LannFyre wrote:Do you REALLY want current gamers to find UT99? I just don't want to see old staff/members run off because of
I think those little brats can't handle this game ... no loot boxes or awards and medals. :twisted:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote:I think those little brats can't handle this game ... no loot boxes or awards and medals. :twisted:
That's only because no one made such yet. :)
Some sort of progression and level up to unlock some stuff and get some random free rewards could actually keep many playing the game.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I think those little brats can't handle this game ... no loot boxes or awards and medals. :twisted:
That's only because no one made such yet. :)
Some sort of progression and level up to unlock some stuff and get some random free rewards could actually keep many playing the game.
NOOOOOOOOOO don't do this ...you will only invite new young player to our yard and they will stomp on our beautiful lawn and smash the rhododendron bushes!!
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

I never said I would do it... but then again, I never said I wouldn't either... :roll: :satan: :lol2:

In all seriousness, something like a player level and a few other things would be fun to add to the game (not that they would be relevant in PvP, but in PvE would).
The RPG mod for UT2004 implements exactly this, and it was very fun and made people return to play, to both level up and have fun.

Because to be bluntly honest: there's barely any motivation to play UT99 nowadays.
Sure, if I want to play certain gametypes, I will play UT99, since it still offers the best experience in those, but other than that, it's like I have genuinely more fun to play something else (and Fortnite has been stepping up their game lately, they have been "modding" the hell out of the game themselves, with the latest update being huge and have a creative mode now where you can build your own maps, games and stuff, it's nuts).

There are so many good games around nowadays, be AAA titles or even small indie ones, with far more players and whatnot, that people (including myself) get spoiled and the same thing gets old and boring very quickly, unless there's something to attach us to specific games, and in the case of developers like many of ourselves, it's still fun to map/mod for UT99, but for players, there isn't much to look forward to nowadays or even in the near future, so...
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

What ever do you mean?
Like 8) ............UT99...............Epic Game....#Please play......... :agree1: .........Play...... :tongue: ......FPS.........DLD..... :D .....@........*........+........ :agree1:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Crossposting from HUTP.

Well I'm not a hashtag user at all. The only hashtag I use are the ones I set up in Youtube and that's it.

Not that I really dislike hashtag, but I want to moderately use it when I am needing to look for something that can be helpful and quick way of finding it across the forum and such.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I doubt that the ones who play Fortnite would ever be interested into knowing what other games Epic made.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"