My AMC entry.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
ExpEM
Adept

My AMC entry.

Post by ExpEM »

From the ReadMe:

"While working on my entry for the 2018 UT99 AMC, I got frustrated and lost intrest in my intended level.
So while waiting for my inspiration to come back I worked on several smaller levels that became this map pack."

Which basically means I don't yet want to finish my original idea (I will eventually).

Contains 3 Levels:
-DM-AMC-CalderaCrust
Spoiler

-DM-AMC-Diminutive
Spoiler

-DM-AMC-EdificeDrift
Spoiler

Attachments
ExpEMs_AMC_MapPack.zip
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by ExpEM on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Signature goes here.
darksonny
Adept

Re: My AMC entry.

Post by darksonny »

no photos no download, please post some pictures of your maps
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

darksonny wrote:no photos no download, please post some pictures of your maps
Fixed.
Signature goes here.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

thnaks dude
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ExpEM wrote:this map pack."
We have a problem here ...
Those maps doesn't have the -AMC- prefix.
I didn't check, but do you have the official Badge implemented? You can place it on the ingame preview screenshot.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I missed package "Journey", but after using Journey.umx from some other installation I could play them.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:
ExpEM wrote:this map pack."
We have a problem here ...
I didn't check, but do you have the official Badge implemented? You can place it on the ingame preview screenshot.
He does have the prefix on the maps inside the zip, forgot to look for the badge, though.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

papercoffee wrote: We have a problem here ...
They do have the prefix in game (Unless you downloaded in the first 5min before I fixed that), Logo is the first Screenshot image for each level (Animated).
Aldebaran wrote:I missed package "Journey", but after using Journey.umx from some other installation I could play them.
Fixed, Journey.umx added to zip.
Signature goes here.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ExpEM wrote:
papercoffee wrote: We have a problem here ...
They do have the prefix in game (Unless you downloaded in the first 5min before I fixed that), Logo is the first Screenshot image for each level (Animated).
:tu:
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Also Added swJumpPad.u to zip for those that don't have it.
Signature goes here.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Diminutive is the best of the pack despite having literally no Z-Axis gameplay. The map is tight and labyrinthine which helps get at least some gameplay. Not sure the sniper has a place in that map. Also, Xloc needs to be activated for bots to get the armor and udam. Hope you find the time to work on your original idea.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Any feedback? Anything I could improve before the full pack is released?
Signature goes here.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

ExpEM wrote:Any feedback? Anything I could improve before the full pack is released?
Actually I agree with Swanky on this ... that map has a nice mix of color, detiails/textures, and well done lighting. Much better map than the other two - well they're not all that bad just not very noteworthy. That said, too late for this contest but imo you should build on diminutive look and feel and develop it as a larger layout... In fact, Swanky has many (perfect) examples of DM design and game flow. I see you could use the map you have as the core, but add passages leading out of the dead ends going up or down to other elevations. The ceilings you would open up in ways to create z-axis opportunties - "death from above" is a tenant of DM. So I suggest study some larger DM maps by guys like Swanky to see how they interconnect areas while maintaining flow and work a theme. I think you have a nice theme already - just work with and add to that...
Well there's my two cents :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Expem has already done some good work in the past. As he (she?) stated, the original wasn't completed due to lack of creativity. I have faith that creativity will come back.

As far as constructive feedback goes, all maps are missing real screenshots.
DM-AMC-CalderaCrust is a small sized figure 8 map with limited cover and options. Though well aligned for an outdoor map, there isn't really anything to be said about it. It has perfectly solid awe and cast with very weak gameplay. If anything, I'd try and build upon that foundation.
DM-AMC-EdificeDrift is another pyramid styled map in space. It works but it isn't special. Skybox is ripped from Face, I believe. Another map of been there, done that. Not sure how to improve it, really. Maybe add more platforms and an indoor part?
DM-Diminuitive is the best map of the pack, both from a theme point of view as well as gameplay, due to the possibilities of hide and seek. Since it's 95% 1 floor gameplay, I suggest adding in another floor on the top or bottom with breakthroughs so there's some z-axis. If you use jump spots with hammer jump instead of xloc points, bots will auto use the xloc if set to active in these spots to preserve health. Also, if you have xloc on, armor next to a udamage is a no-go. Theme has a few nice graphical ideas.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Thanks to both Swanky and FraGnBraG for the feed back.

Yea, CalderaCrust and EdificeDrift are both gimic maps really.
CalderaCrust was inspired by DM-Fear mostly. EdificeDrift on the other hand was inspired by DM-SpaceNoxx and DM-Pyrimid (and yes the skybox was ripped from face coz lazy ha).

I completely agree that Diminutive is the best of the three, being based on the idea to make something tiny that isn't an arena, I also tried to level-up my map polish for this one.
As for expanding the level, I'll have a tinker at some point for an XL version.
I have a tendency to forget that not everyone plays with the xloc turned on and so most of my levels don't account for impact jumping, will try to remember for future levels.
Signature goes here.