MH-AMC-Mesospheric

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: MH-AMC-Mesospheric

Post by FraGnBraG »

here they both are - fyi
BBoyShare.u.02-08-2005.u
old one
(178.9 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
BBoyShare.u.07-24-2015.u
newer one
(173.26 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The only thing is the previous, stable version of the map has the same BBoyShars stuff in it and that doesn't crash.

@FraGnBraG
So you don't have BBoyShars but BBoyShare and the map ran OK with that package?
Last edited by OjitroC on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I have BBoyShars.u and BBoyShare.u here, both with same file size 177.417 Bytes and the same md5 checksum.
So they seem to be identical.

The same here with BBoyLikePac.u and BBoyLikePak.u, they have same file size and same md5 checksum (perhaps these won't be used by this map)...

:noidea
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aldebaran wrote:I have BBoyShars.u and BBoyShare.u here, both with same file size 177.417 Bytes and the same md5 checksum.
So they seem to be identical.
They are - I removed BBoyShars.u from my system directory and tried the map - it loaded and ran OK, presumably using the resources in BBoyShare.u. It crashed pretty soon as reported here
Spoiler
Warning: Invalid object index 1769107536
Critical: UObject::GetFullName
Critical: UObject::IsValid
Critical: UStruct::CleanupDestroyed
Critical: (Class MoreBlood.BloodDrop2)
Critical: CleanupRefs
Critical: ULevel::CleanupDestroyed
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=0)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UXC_GameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: XC_MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
The thing that interests me is the Warning referring to 'Invalid object index' - what does that mean precisely?

I then tried the map with the larger of the two BBoyShare packages and it crashed with the following in the log
Spoiler
Critical: DrawDecals
Critical: URender::DrawFrame
Log: URender::DrawWorld anomaly
Critical: UObject::StaticFindObject
Critical: UObject::StaticAllocateObject
Critical: (B_JumperWaveEffect B_JumperWaveEffect16374)
Critical: UObject::StaticConstructObject
Critical: ULevel::SpawnActor
Critical: (B_JumperWaveEffect)
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (B_JumperPoint MH-AMC-Mesospheric.B_JumperPoint0, Function BBoyShars.B_JumperPoint.Timer)
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError
So I've tried it with all three BBoyShar variants with the same result.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

okay so how exactly can you set up to crash. Maybe I just didn't do the same things thus inadvertently avoided what triggers the crash ... I'm willing to take a few more kicks at it if it helps :)

just list a few steps ... to make it happen, if possible..
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've removed both BBoyShar_ jumpers from the map and so there are no BBoy resources in the map as far as I can see - the map still crashes with the log saying this
Spoiler
Warning: Invalid object index 100598791
Critical: (Class MoreBlood.BloodDrop2)
As a matter of interest, the unmodified final version still runs without BBoyShare.u in my system directory.
FraGnBraG wrote:okay so how exactly can you set up to crash. Maybe I just didn't do the same things thus inadvertently avoided what triggers the crash ... I'm willing to take a few more kicks at it if it helps :)

just list a few steps ... to make it happen, if possible..
That's difficult as I've played it with and without bots and with and without mutators and it crashes each time - there doesn't seem to be any particular one thing/action that triggers the crash - also it happens after different lengths of time in the map. I tend to think it is a render problem though that's just a guess. Thing is the version posted initially runs fine so it must be stuff added later, like the altered skybox or the cloudzone, that has led to the problem (which is why I don't think it is directly related to the BBoyShar stuff as there's more of that in the first version)?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: The thing that interests me is the Warning referring to 'Invalid object index' - what does that mean precisely?
It's exactly what I explained before. If map has a package referencing virtually speaking a sort of "BoomActor" but you are playing with a package which doesn't have any BoomActor, say good bye to Index. This is a default C++ crash translated in UScript as an Accessed None. And then two copied are floating around with different name but it's the same file, this is a package soup requiring a cleaning task.

Aside, looking at those sprites changed for no purpose, I can expect more stuff happening. If actor in map is HIDDEN and player won't see it in normal conditions why should I change it ?

This is entertaining
OjitroC wrote: Just a few things

1 From the log 'ScriptWarning: Failed to load 'Sound Announcer.Winner': Failed to find object 'Sound Announcer.Winner'.
Referencing unexistent sound ? What else do we need for making a mess with that index ? What Announcer is this ? Screwed up stock ? There is no such sound in stock but map has a reference to this NULL object.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: It's exactly what I explained before. If map has a package referencing virtually speaking a sort of "BoomActor" but you are playing with a package which doesn't have any BoomActor, say good bye to Index. This is a default C++ crash translated in UScript as an Accessed None. And then two copied are floating around with different name but it's the same file, this is a package soup requiring a cleaning task.
I see, I understand that now - but the map crashes whichever of the three versions of BBoyShar is used (bigger BBoyShare, smaller BBoyShare and BBoyShars). There aren't any Accessed Nones referring to BBoyShar in the log.
sektor2111 wrote: Aside, looking at those sprites changed for no purpose, I can expect more stuff happening. If actor in map is HIDDEN and player won't see it in normal conditions why should I change it ?.
I thought that removing any BBoyShar assets from the map and seeing what happens would indicate whether or not BBoyShar is the source of the problem. I did that and the map still crashes.
sektor2111 wrote: Referencing unexistent sound ? What else do we need for making a mess with that index ? What Announcer is this ? Screwed up stock ? There is no such sound in stock but map has a reference to this NULL object.
That's from the first version of the map which runs fine without crashes.

The thing is FraGnBraG can run the map without problems whilst Terraniux, Aldebaran and I all get crashes - this suggests the problem doesn't lie with BBoyShar? Moreover, the first version of the map uses more BBoyShar stuff than the final version and that runs OK without crashes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Good news then...

However... if this map will be asked by anyone in any of playgrounds which I maintain, it won't step there with those BBoy assets and neither with screwed stuff...
I have a builder done for listing all actors from Level and classes/packages, perhaps would be entertaining to destroy these in a future version as a fix-option... I'm thinking...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: I have a builder done for listing all actors from Level and classes/packages, perhaps would be entertaining to destroy these in a future version as a fix-option... I'm thinking...
Yes, that would be very useful.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote:Yes, that would be very useful.
Okay, to not be that much off-topic maybe future builder will have some... helper. I want to implement a check feature for inventory placement (possible with a corrector ?) in order to prevent those "Scout didn't fit" messages and mapping items in a proper position rather than leaving them lost in BSP or into void, and maybe destruction if cannot be adjusted...

Edit: Walking around map
In version shared in first post I've done some examination using my newer extra-builder in order to figure what's the deal. Definitely some node is BAD placed at start and others two almost buried in stairs - no reason to mess original placement. PulseGun should not be placed like that...
Due to the original failure of MHBotyMan4 I went to check the suspect Pathnode174 - Bingo !
NastyBuilder wrote: Specs: +++++
oooooooooooooooo: oooooooooooooooo
Specs: PathNode174 - UpstreamPaths[0]=1565 Start=Teleporter1 End=PathNode174 RFlags=1 Dist=287
Connected: Teleporter1 to PathNode174.
Specs: PathNode174 - Paths[0]=1600 Start=PathNode174 End=PathNode173 RFlags=1 Dist=249
Connected: PathNode174 to PathNode173.
Specs: PathNode174 - Paths[1]=1602 Start=PathNode174 End=InventorySpot299 RFlags=1 Dist=248
Connected: PathNode174 to InventorySpot299.
Specs: +++++
Specs: ReachSpecs Flags summary:
Flg: R_WALK = 1
Flg: R_FLY = 2
Flg: R_SWIM = 4
Flg: R_JUMP = 8
Flg: R_DOOR = 16
Flg: R_SPECIAL = 32
Flg: R_PLAYERONLY = 64
[attachment=0]Mesot_bg_1.PNG[/attachment]

There is no path from 173 to 174, only down way from 174 to 173 which means a broken route, Bot is moving only by following human directly very closer. (problem solved) - I have to figure other routes when action will have another break.
Now I'm curious about those chaos assets because as I know from my previous walk-through Chaos stuff, I could see buggers incompatible each-other so I'm expecting again troubles based on a version with "something" and other without that "something". I don't know what was used for this map and what references are there until I'll experiment Without Chaos packs. It's not a rush, I think map can be solved correctly.
Attachments
Mesot_bg_1.PNG
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:I think map can be solved correctly.
But the map crashes UT... Here after playing a few minutes locally the screen flashes once and then the keyboard is dead, but mouse can still be used. The game continues running. After some seconds the screen flashes again, sometime even multiple times.
The only way to exit UT is Alt+Ctrl+Del, activating Taskmanager and terminating UT.

The log file tells what already has been reported here.
Unrealtournament.log

Code: Select all

ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-AWC-Mesospheric.MonsterHunt0 (Function Botpack.DeathMatchPlus.Killed:009C) Accessed None
DevMusic: Unregister music: Music Mech8.Mech8
DevMusic: Load music: Music MaximusbyTerrraniux.MaximusbyTerrraniux
ScriptWarning: MonsterHunt MH-AWC-Mesospheric.MonsterHunt0 (Function Botpack.DeathMatchPlus.Killed:009C) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: BruteProjectile MH-AWC-Mesospheric.BruteProjectile52 (Function UnrealShare.BruteProjectile.Flying.BlowUp:0017) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: BruteProjectile MH-AWC-Mesospheric.BruteProjectile55 (Function UnrealShare.BruteProjectile.Flying.BlowUp:0017) Accessed None
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: NULL
DevMusic: Unregister music: Music MaximusbyTerrraniux.MaximusbyTerrraniux
Critical: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::SetViewport
Critical: UViewport::Destroy
Critical: (WindowsViewport Transient.WindowsClient0.WindowsViewport0)
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Destroy
Critical: UObject::ConditionalDestroy
Critical: (WindowsViewport Transient.WindowsClient0.WindowsViewport0)
Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
Critical: ClientTick
Critical: MainLoop
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 12/15/18 04:22:32
I tried different things but without success:
  • removed the crossed two zone brushes
  • changed the brushes building the base of islands to semi solid
  • removed the sky zone
  • removed the two hidden "Kitty" movers
The only thing that worked was exporting as T3D and importing in a new map without any resources loaded. That eliminates all textures and code.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:The only thing that worked was exporting as T3D and importing in a new map without any resources loaded. That eliminates all textures and code.
Yes, and another thing: That UnrealDeps won't show all dependencies ? I see my builder saying something about Chaos too. For sure if I dig in forum I think I've sampled some funky changes between versions making a next generation to not be 100% safe and compatible. Good... method of fixing is exactly how you say:
1. removing all Non-Stock things but not before saving a temp file in original for figuring decorations;
2. exporting everything cleaned - stock only - or copy for pasting into a NEW work space;
3. building new map, importing screenshot that won't be saved as I recall unless you have the same session;
4. IMPORTING in MyLevel all used assets for breaking any initial call to original packages. They have to be placed in map as original - a builder here might help like the one which I'm using for making plugins packages for NavAdder, or dealing "manually";
5. discarding all Navigation Network - Me one, I would add new PathNodes on my way not like here because as evidence, said Pathnode174 it's not in a default placement, was moved creating a broken route. I don't know if I have to implement some ''navigationfixer'' into builder because will need some stupid compilation dealing with constants... Definitely I would use my eyes rather than a blind builder.
6. Probably items from map are good to be checked if are causing red paths more quickly using indeed a builder which will do location probing almost like Editor does when is adding InventorySpot actors for preventing other borks. Here might be nasty but not that evil HealthVial16... I've checked some stock maps and where builder warned about red paths, in 90+% of cases paths are definitely red or InventorySpot doesn't match item location.

While I'm studying these I'm thinking what else I might use in builder for a simple map scan and quick fixes. It takes a blink + 10-15 seconds to setup builder and push button.

Edit: I'm going to report other stuff.
By example, right now, by inspecting MyLevel - chapter textures has crashed Editor... :???: It looks like group "Lights" from MyLevel does a crash. If that one is visible in game I think we know what's next...
Edit: funny view in OpenGL
[attachment=0]Mesot_bg_2.PNG[/attachment]
Nearby Lights are normal - Light2 was different using buggy group where tex browser is crashing.
Attachments
Mesot_bg_2.PNG
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: There is no path from 173 to 174, only down way from 174 to 173 which means a broken route, Bot is moving only by following human directly very closer. (problem solved) - I have to figure other routes when action will have another break.
The bots have no problem with that - I've just played two games with four bots. In each game I stayed in the spawn room and three of the four bots went through the portal without problems. In the second game (I forgot in the first) I gave the order to attack and the fourth bot (a MBot) went through the portal. In both games the map hung fairly soon with the errors reported previously.

The placement of the Pulse Gun does cause at least one bot to keep jumping up and down on top of it.
sektor2111 wrote: Now I'm curious about those chaos assets because as I know from my previous walk-through Chaos stuff,
The Chaos assets are in chaostrees.u.
sektor2111 wrote: Edit: funny view in OpenGL ...Nearby Lights are normal - Light2 was different using buggy group where tex browser is crashing.
Curiously, I'm using OpenGL and I don't get that - all the lights there appear normal to me. However there is also a problem with the lights in that room in the original, stable version as reported by Aldebaran (but not the same light). Looking at the properties of Light2, the Name under Object is actually Light3 - there is already a Light3 - I don't know if this is of any significance?

On the whole the bots seem to work well on the first island, achieving the necessary objectives pretty easily and quickly. On my latest try in this map I got this error- the 'Warning: Other object in slot' is curious
Spoiler
Warning: Other object in slot
Critical: (Class BBoyShars.B_JumperWaveEffect)
Since the first posted version of this map (MH-AWC-Mesopheric) is stable, I wonder if it is 'worth' trying to fix the broken version, perhaps better to work forwards again from the stable version testing changes as they are done?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote:The bots have no problem with that - I've just played two games with four bots.
Not enough true. Right now I see PN173 connected to shield so they get over PN174 right to shield end then... route is open from there... So... I can remove PN174 because has no purpose... Else tell if you have any path in that warp-tunnel or whatever is - the rest is gravity and teleporter out. Logically there is no connection with the rest of map, shield is the key for getting into tunnel because teleporter has a bigger radius.
OjitroC wrote:In both games the map hung fairly soon with the errors reported previously.
This is a problem which I think I know what is about... After messing up around, I could see errors at chapter decals haunting me in various instances but all was about decals. The fact, if I well recall from somewhere decals have real troubles if engine will try to attach them on a non-coplanar surface which mean a broken geometry. In mean time you can open map in Editor walk to textures and browse MyLevel with group Lights. Tell me what you get because I did not see anything with 4 renders tested in Editor...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.