Big Ugly CTF map needs feedback !!!!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Big Ugly CTF map needs feedback !!!!

Post by sektor2111 »

swJumpad is Not Designed for screwed Gravity.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

thanks red_fist - I probably have your map, as I have several of yours. I did play with all that stuff years ago (see map a number of posts back)
I just used the HoG tubes setup here, iirc, cause I did not want to bother frigging too much - which worked fine (i guess) until at some point I put the
swjumpads in there.

The swjumpads kinda "came" from the extreme woot "movement". Hopping over woot gaps. Steep kicks were always a problem to set up but thought to
be easier to use once the numbers were right.

not really an issue here... any more :)

bigger issue is getting fkking alternate paths sorted out - taking a while...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

After fooling a bit here with Editor and XC Add-Ons, this map do looks playable without any single error - with and without XC_Engine. I'm talking about 267 InventorySpots, paths building without ammo in account and using 1000 at ScanRange, adding a few missing nodes. It has now 3849 ReachSpecs and no trails from those over 11000+ history type ReachSpecs.
Okay, Movers are PawnProximity and damaging movers have at least 1000 damage else won't have effect for all "player" this is not the goal to kill only human Player. IntroIntoVoid is removed because it's pointless. Bots are roaming properly with SmartAlternatePath and here I have to admit that some MBots are sorting by themselves an alternate route in CTF game if possible. For me the loved map do works good so far, else I have to test it more for figuring if exist another problem of swJumpad, I did not see any error so far, also it do looks smoother enough for my tastes.
Congratulations and Respect for this nice map...
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

Downloaded, installed the files (correctly, in case you wondered), and it failed to launch, citing issues with Udamage and Xpickups. Not sure what to do. From your screenshots it looks like a nicely conceived design, but if it won't launch, I can't really tell if it's a good map or not. Will wait for advice on what to do to get it to launch. :)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

R3plicant wrote:... failed to launch, citing issues with Udamage and Xpickups. ...
Can you tell me what the error messages say?
Or post the log file perhaps?

UT436 GOTY is a requirement also ...

Thanks
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

FraGnBraG wrote:
R3plicant wrote:... failed to launch, citing issues with Udamage and Xpickups. ...
Can you tell me what the error messages say?
Or post the log file perhaps?

UT436 GOTY is a requirement also ...

Thanks
My bad, I had installed it correctly, but when I had originally launched it, I hadn't selected to use the mutators you'd included - and it crashed. This time I selected the mutators and it ran aye ok. My apologies.

The map looks fabulous, though just nitpicking here, but, the skybox is very basic, you could certainly up the resolution of its graphical components. You could also tweak the design of the reverb because it has a slight tendency to want to introduce 'feedback' (ok, so it's not actually feedback in the traditional sense of the term, but it needs some tweaks). Just tweak the gain and delay settings in the editor (with the sound on and put the map into its 'live' mode) until you're sure the 'echo' is a bit more natural.

The actual map itself looks really fun and lively, though a little more imagination could have gone into the jumppads' visuals and sounds, but they do the job aye ok, even if they're a bit underwhelming, (but this could just be me having jumped huge distances in my map, so don't take my "underwhelming" comment to heart).

The rest of the map is pretty cool and imaginative, nice work, it's more imaginative than my map.

As a map though, I really like it. Would be fun to watch a gang of players all running amok in it. Very good work! :tu:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Hi all!
Here's my AMC final :D

DOWNLOAD CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly (FINAL)

Please delete any BETA versions and play this one instead.

Note that this archive contains TWO map versions:
1. CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly-NW (Normal weapons)
2. CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly-UTR (UTR XPickups)

I prefer the XPickups version since this is speedy and fun, however, may conflict with some mods.

The NW version is provided since some folks may prefer the slower pace of regular UT99, or want
to use various MODs such as Nali weapons, or add StrangeLove rockets... If you do mod the map for a
server please modify the name so there are no naming conflict.

!!! THANKS !!!
Thanks to PaperCoffee for accepting the map for the AMC contest. Although I don't expect to win
I do hope the map might turn out fun for players.

I would like to thank everyone who played the BETA maps and provided feedback.
In no particular order:
JackGriffen
sektor2111
OjitroC
Barbie
Red_Fist
Swanky
R3plicant
DarkSonny
Hope I didn't miss anyone ---

GAMEPLAY:
I've had some good matches (offline) using the UTR version with 12 inhuman bots
(teams of 6). Also works well with teams of 8, but I find 6 is a bit more challenging since
the enemy is taking your flag a lot more often.

The Normal Weapons version is pretty darn slow going and might just put you to sleep!!!
(Thank god for XPickups!) Actually, if you put relics in there is a relic of speed you can sometimes
get. After a while you just xloc and use the jumppads and tube train to get around quicker.
Oh well, I hate giant slow maps like this (I think I actually fell asleep once playing CTF-Church)
but decided to offer the normal weapons alternative anyways.

Hope you have fun in the map (whichever one you prefer).

Good luck to all the contestants!!

Cheers
FnB
CTF-AMC-BigAndUgly-Screenshot.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Linked in the Contest thread. :mrgreen:
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

What a great map, man! Thank you for supplying a normal weapons map too. I think it will be played with Strangelove too, at least now there is a good reason to get a slv server full again ;-)
Virgile
Average

Post by Virgile »

I fucking love your map. :gj: