Naming files in UT99

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Naming files in UT99

Post by KillRoy1972 »

So I came acrross a minor problem..

If I save a map i work on, It will not let me save the work with a long filename..

Is this a editor flaw, or a windows flaw, and most importantly, how do i resolve this?

Maybe a stupid question, But since i mostly work on an iMac and this is on a winodows machine especially for games..
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Re: Naming files in UT99

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

It's the editor having a max character limit for a files location.

One way around it is to change the directory you keep Unreal Tournament in, years ago I had an install many folders deep(F:folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/UnrealTouanemnt/system/) and I couldn't save anything I worked on. I had to move it to the root directory to be able to save everything (C:UT/).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

KillRoy1972 wrote:long filename [...] editor
Maximum file name length is about 78 (see thread UnrealEd: Maximum file name lenght also).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:It's the editor having a max character limit for a files location.

One way around it is to change the directory you keep Unreal Tournament in, years ago I had an install many folders deep(F:folder/folder/folder/folder/folder/UnrealTouanemnt/system/) and I couldn't save anything I worked on. I had to move it to the root directory to be able to save everything (C:UT/).

Ah, that makes sense..

It is a steam instal which is not a C:/UT/ install.

KEt me install it by hand in the proper location, because this is really annoying.. a file named DM-1on1-ProgressionALFA1 is too long.. :-|
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Also be sure there are no spaces in the path. It can happen with the steam installation IIRC.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

It worked! :rock:

Thnx guys!