DM-AMC-Ars_Indus

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: DM-AMC-Ars_Indus

Post by Swanky »

Thanks, Rev. Quick hotfix is available in first post.
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

I really like this map, it has a lot of potential. I'd love to see a new version where these zones are playable (Is it possible?):
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Theoretically possible, yes. Practically doable? Yes. An enjoyable endresult? Probably not.
To do this, I had to revamp large parts of the layout to make it fit with the original layout, else risking a huge discrepancy between the different parts of the map. This would also mean I'd have to add a lot more supporting structure to the original map to not make it feel detached gameplay wise. I'd also have to redo large parts of the outside area to make it coherent to look at from all the new angles. And of course, I would have to balance everything out again. I don't think the endresult would justify the amount of hours that I had to put into it to make it work.

On the bright side, I am actively trying to get back into the layouting process. Quite the task given I haven't done anything since late 2012 (CTF-XC-Peak17). I am basically back to square #1 with this, yet I am making progress, albeit slow progress. That may also be my extremely high standard of doing maps, though. After two decades of Unreal Tournament there is only so much originality left, and not a lot of mapping worth doing. I have layed out two small parts of a rather big map already, and I also have decided on a theme which is making things a lot easier. This will be my project for the next several months, maybe for the full year, I have to see how things are working out.

I also do know of a few guys who have "ideas". Expect more information on that in January.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Ah! Swanky you still got it, man! nice nice nice. I've played all the contest maps a few times each - but - I've saved this baby along with gluon and modular for the end ;)
I just finished my first run 1vs1 (inhuman) and this is one fine map!!! I won the match, just barely, lol! I think with 6+ it would get pretty crazy. Ran great, sounds great,
looks great - Some items of note: the fan shadows - fkkn awesome! Reminds me of weal (obsessed with shadows, lol!) wonder how he is... i digress :) The other awesome
thing is the general feel/ambiance of the place -> feels almost like it belongs in city-17, or maybe you got a bit of inspiration from RavenCross ;) Definitely Swanky style
but with a splash of horton in there, eh? Nice job. Contender, imo :tu:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Not a lot of inspiration from RavenCross, no. Just a few textures. City17, yeah I can get behind the idea of why you'd think that. Glad you like the map.
In regards to uBerserkers concerns: I've moved the ICHs on the front movers, should be more fluid now. Regarding the body armor. Yes it does float, as every other weapon and armor pickup in the map. It's slightly out of the way since it's the biggest single defensive pickup in the map and I wanted to incenticise players also using this upper area more. That's why I don't think it feels off sitting up there. ;)

I am going to upload the newer final version later this weekend for the complete package.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

I've updated the version to Final 1.2.
Shifted some ICHs on the movers so people don't bump their heads as often.
Also shifted to AMC badge to inside the crate.

I've tried a few things with the weapon and armor placements. While you can make them lying around and not have ambient glow, the former point doesn't sit well with weapon replacers such as Xpickups where the armor is partially stuck in the ground, for example. Because of this, items will stay afloat instead of being thematically pleasingly placed.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Swanky wrote:I've updated the version to Final 1.2.
Is it for the map pack?
Then you should have PMed me the new map.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Didn't want to have multiple versions of the map floating around.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

That's why I asked to PM me the fixed maps. Anyway, now it's out in the wild.