Need some help with my waterfall

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
spookyrockjaw
Novice

Need some help with my waterfall

Post by spookyrockjaw »

So I have my level blocked out but I'm not sure of the best way to approach a waterfall. What I'm trying to do is a waterfall with a room behind it which is accessible by walking through the falls. Right now what I have is a non-solid brush with a vertical panning water texture on it and it doesnt look great.

I want it to look like fast falling water but I dont know how to control the texture panning speed. Or is there a better way to do this? An animated texture for instance?

Is it possible to make a water volume that turns the player's vision blue when walking through it? But I dont want them to be able to swim up the fall...

Lastly, it would look a lot better with some mist or fog at the bottom of the falls or maybe some splashing water texture. How can I do this?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Need some help with my waterfall

Post by papercoffee »

Some screenshots would be nice ...there are many ways to make a waterfall.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Use a ZoneInfo Actor and look at properties for TexUPanSpeed TexVPanSpeed. I hacked these in a map for simulating a train stopping MH-TrainCommando if I well recall...
[attachment=0]PanSpeed.PNG[/attachment]

You might want to see also MH-SkaarjTower whatever - there is a cascade around lake zone... check which zone is there and track properties.
Attachments
PanSpeed.PNG
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

stretching a texture (obviously) makes it's respective panning speed stretched(faster), that can be used to achive such effect.
(some times ago i made a map as a sort of experiment, DM-SpillwayXXL, that has a waterfall like that.)
You might want to make a brush instead of a simple sheet. You can add some tidbits to make it look nicee, like foglight, smoke generator(for vapor), even some rotating decos, like boulder with transparent liqud texture skin set enviromapcurvy can imitate some turbulent water (or lava).. etc
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

We should have a , Making Waterfall Contest, then if there is some maps to make a map pack would be a great tutorial on having samples made by different people to see how it's done, or could be done, an InfoPack, LoL
Binary Space Partitioning
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

I personally find that particle emitters are the best way to create a waterfall :P
Spoiler
SZ
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

spookyrockjaw wrote:I want it to look like fast falling water but I dont know how to control the texture panning speed. Or is there a better way to do this? An animated texture for instance?
Animated texture, stretching in the texture editor, vpan, layers of different width and height
spookyrockjaw wrote:Is it possible to make a water volume that turns the player's vision blue when walking through it? But I dont want them to be able to swim up the fall...
You can either create a zone behind the warterfall and set the lighting in the zoneinfo properties or enable fogzone and place fog behing it, which if done properly would also improve the look of the waterfall
spookyrockjaw wrote:Lastly, it would look a lot better with some mist or fog at the bottom of the falls or maybe some splashing water texture. How can I do this?
SmokeGenerator. Will look better with custom animations
DM-ArcaneTempleWF2.rar
(525.73 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Shot0136_1.jpg
Shot0119_1.jpg
Shot0108_1.jpg
SteadZ wrote:I personally find that particle emitters are the best way to create a waterfall :P
Where can I find those?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

1) If ParticleEmitter has a native DLL support I wouldn't mess with it - On-Line won't work without a manual install :sleep: . Until some tutorial will deliver info about installing such things in client when are needed and... again debates about DLL files with unknown power and "features" are not welcomed...
2) I would not count on fog, some maps are bad at this point and majority of players have it turned off. :lol2:

So... we are bumping a topic from January which probably was already solved ?
Iacobus
Average

Post by Iacobus »

sektor2111 wrote:1) If ParticleEmitter has a native DLL support I wouldn't mess with it - On-Line won't work without a manual install :sleep: . Until some tutorial will deliver info about installing such things in client when are needed and... again debates about DLL files with unknown power and "features" are not welcomed...
That's good to know. If this info was available after the last post I wouldn't have to bump it to ask about, would why? Looks very neat, though.
sektor2111 wrote:2) I would not count on fog, some maps are bad at this point and majority of players have it turned off. :lol2:
The lack of comprehensive tutorials might be one of the reasons for that.

sektor2111 wrote:So... we are bumping a topic from January which probably was already solved ?
If it was solved, we can't say it was thanks to the help of the forum. Whoever stumbles upon this thread in the future like I did, maybe looking for a solution, at least will have one vanilla option for the matter.