skaarjplayerbots on CTF

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
hee
Experienced

skaarjplayerbots on CTF

Post by hee »

I have a question that probably doesn't have an answer, but it is worth a shot.
I had the idea to add skaarj's to a CTF map. The idea was to add a bit of extra conflict as the skaarj's attack both teams. The problem is that they respawn at the red playerstarts. They then grab the red flag and run around randomly (since they have no place to take it). Thus the red team is then at a disadvantage.

Is there a way to assign them their own playerstarts? I noticed that on the score board they are listed as gold team, so I tried setting a playerstart to 3 (and also 2), but to no avail.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: skaarjplayerbots on CTF

Post by OjitroC »

I wouldn't use bots since they will, as you've noticed, 'form' a third team and mess up the scoring.

Assuming you're playing offline and you want to do this with most of the CTF maps you play, you can use MonsterSpawn or SwarmSpawn to drop a few Skaarj ScriptedPawns from UnrealI, UnrealShare or sektor2111's NsMonsters into the map - that way they don't need to be placed in the map but will spawn (and respawn) at random places in the map. If you use SwarmSpawn you can alter a number of their default properties should you wish.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mmm, hold on a second. Bots - any - including SkaarjPlayerBot class are not for mapping - forget this. I would use User.ini and declaring 2 of them there as default Bots - replace Malakai or whatever. In the past I recall they were doing something bad to a server but I could not figure what was happening. Else they are listening orders properly - are Bots after all - they are attacking and are less noisy "I need some backup" and all that mess, etc.

NsMonster it's indeed compatible with team-working (these are Monsters not Bots) but exist some problems:
- You need the right CTF controller for attitude deal;
- You need some SwarmSpawner ready for random teaming;
- These are rebels acting by themselves - won't attack their team and players accordingly and... won't respond at any order.
Why ? Because they are team 3 by default (also they are MH ready) and team 3 will attack both players from team 0, 1. If you need such friends, they have to be in your team. It's about team byte not PlayerReplicationInfo.Team things because are monsters, team byte exists in ScriptedPawn and here it's used (Epic forgot these).

NsCTF game is setting up directives for Bot attitude in order to see Bots cooperating with them and not attacking them.
Cave At: RocketLauncher, Eightball, do the same default things auto-aiming them and might kill them - In NsCTF I did not set any damaging directives in order to prevent some virtual situation (not happened so far) where they might go suddenly evil and you need to kill them.
These monsters are currently set and used but not really SkaarjPlayerBot.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: ...These are rebels acting by themselves - won't attack their team and players accordingly and... won't respond at any order...Bots cooperating with them and not attacking them.
The OP wants Skaarj in the map so that they will attack both teams and, of course, not be a third team.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

You would have better luck using the SKtrooper model, assigning those to bots, and having them play on teams:

Closer to what you're suggesting, I'd suggest UTDMT (Titan) or UTDMW (Warlord). If not properly team assigned, they default to Yellow Team but the nice thing about them is that wherever they start on a given map, they will always respawn in the same spot.

My fave example - https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/115858.html

There's a UTDMT on each team, and 2 referees assigned to Yellow Team... even though there is no actual such team for standard CTF.

Sadly nobody ever thought to make a UTDMSB (SkaarjBerserker) as that might work better for what you want.

Setup Guide: works for both versions - https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/98908.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
hee
Experienced

Post by hee »

OjitroC wrote:
sektor2111 wrote: ...These are rebels acting by themselves - won't attack their team and players accordingly and... won't respond at any order...Bots cooperating with them and not attacking them.
The OP wants Skaarj in the map so that they will attack both teams and, of course, not be a third team.
Yes. You have the idea, but I do not care if they are a third team. They cannot score as they do not have a home base. The only problem is where they spawn. I would like to set the place they spawn. That is all that I need. Because then there interference with the game will be fair to red and blue.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: The OP wants Skaarj in the map so that they will attack both teams and, of course, not be a third team.
NsMonster doesn't won't do any third team screwing CTFGame, the variable "Team" it's like Aggressiveness, HearingThreshold, PeripheralVision, something internal and taken in account for attitude deal toward true players from those two teams used in CTFGame. That's why can be used even in MH and... DM. In DM all attitude and team deal is removed, they are attacking everything.
Not going to talk too much because you can check this by editing a map and see what's the deal. Of course BotPack.CTFGame will have some trash to spread out in log file but... junks are jewels.
Edit: Another thing to take in account
NsMonster won't re-spawn... but I think a CreatureFactory can deploy 600 pieces without many issues... having 12 of them per row or such. SpawnPoints can be added in desired map area. Shortly using a CreatureFactory like in MonsterHunt mapping.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

hee wrote: I would like to set the place they spawn...
Then, as sektor2111 says, you need to use a CreatureFactory and place the SpawnPoints where you want the Skaarj to spawn - but not spawning Bots - use NsMonsters or UnrealI Skaarj Troopers or Warriors instead.

The only downside to set spawning locations is the predicatability in that Skaarj are always going to spawn in the same place and that may tend to lessen the excitement of playing that map - players may be able to find ways to avoid areas where the Skaarj are. MonsterSpawn or SwarmSpawn give you unpredicability in spawning locations - with the former you can also have unpredicatability in what kind of Skaarj is going to appear.
hee
Experienced

Post by hee »

OjitroC wrote:
hee wrote: I would like to set the place they spawn...
Then, as sektor2111 says, you need to use a CreatureFactory and place the SpawnPoints where you want the Skaarj to spawn - but not spawning Bots - use NsMonsters or UnrealI Skaarj Troopers or Warriors instead.

The only downside to set spawning locations is the predicatability in that Skaarj are always going to spawn in the same place and that may tend to lessen the excitement of playing that map - players may be able to find ways to avoid areas where the Skaarj are. MonsterSpawn or SwarmSpawn give you unpredicability in spawning locations - with the former you can also have unpredicatability in what kind of Skaarj is going to appear.
Thanks. I will try this.

BTW The predictability is not a problem in some situations. I am going to create a trap. There will be a tunnel and there will be a trigger zone that only covers half of the width of the tunnel, so if a player runs down the wrong side it will trigger two doors that trap him in the tunnel. Then a third door to a closed room that holds some type of monsters will very slowly open (with the appropriate sounds). And the player will have time to appreciate is ultimate demise.

Note further that after this death, the player that does not know that it is only half of the tunnel that is a trap will avoid the (possibly strategically valuable) tunnel in the future, whereas the one in the know can still use it.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I moved the thread into the Mapping section.